'66 BatCowl finally finished

Here you go GM.

I was horrified to find out that the originals used no gelcoat. I was making them with navy blue gelcoat but went with the more authentic in the end.

Chuck...
shell.jpg

Originally posted by clayslinger@Dec 9 2005, 09:29 AM
Here you go GM.

I was horrified to find out that the originals used no gelcoat. I was making them with navy blue gelcoat but went with the more authentic in the end.

Chuck...
shell.jpg

[snapback]1132165[/snapback]​

Wow. I didn't realize the underskull extended that far...

Again, nice work.

You look rather inconspicuous in the unfinished cowl pic. As if everybody wears flesh-colored helmets.
.....Just the way your eyes are averted.

Bloody great job on the costume though..

....God...I'm such a n00b.. :cry

Thanks so much Guys.

I'm really looking forward to the completed suit myself.

It took 8-9 months of sifting thru silk samples from around the world to settle on the cape fabric.

You know Joel,I thought the same thing when I saw the suit photgraphed. I felt it was too shiney so I knocked it down to a satin finish that would be more practical on set. As I'm sure you all know polished surfaces and film making don't always work well.

Chuck...
satinbuckle.jpg

:eek HOLY COSTUME CLONE, BATMAN. :eek Now...WHERE'S THE BAT-BEER BELLY??? :lol

Amazing, just amazing. Beautiful and professional job.

Robert :fettrotj

clayslinger,

WOW. You did an excellent job.

What fabric covers the Cowl? Is it the same as the cape?

When do you expect it to be finished?

TK

Thank you very much Guys.... :D

The cowl fabric is different than the cape fabric.

The cape fabric is a satin silk. I've had silk samples sent from all over the world and finally found one that has the right weight and sheen of the original.It'll be dyed shortly.

The cowl fabric is quite heavy and is the modern version of the original fabric.It has the same weight and weave of the original but instead of elastic threads made from latex, this gets its stretch from elastic threads made with a lycra.
The rayon content is also more modern and holds the dye where the original fabric would eventually fade.

This type of fabric has pretty much disappeared in the U.S. in favor of heavy spandex powerknit.The woven satin version was originally used as support panels in undergarment construction in the '50s and '60s.It only came in white,black and beige back in the sixties.The rayon fibers and the dye process they used back then was not that great and it would fade rather quickly.

I'll post some cape fabric shots in a bit.
Thanks again Guys.

Chuck...

I'm looking to have the suit ready for a show later this year.This month marks the 40th anniversary of the shows premier by the way.

The cape fabric in these shots is the wrong shade but you get the idea.

The costume designer really had a great idea using a shot silk fabic.It has black and blue threads in the weave in different directions causing a blue highlight and a black shadow like he's portrayed in the comics.
Unfortunately the show was shot in a brighter environment and the effect was diminished.

Chuck...
capefab2.jpg

capefab3.jpg

Oh...my...god.

There are no words for how cool that looks man.

No matter how muscled / molded / sculpted / rubberised they make the new
BatMan costumes... nothing looks as super camp'n'cool as that.
The way the Bat should look.

Just great, great, great work.

I'm sure I speak for all when I say I'd love to see some more pictures.

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thanks HAL9000 .

He's the Bat I grew up with and I agree with you.

As soon as I finish, I'll post photos of the whole suit.

Thanks again.

Chuck...

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back