5th Element: Mr. Kim's Boat 1/35

Thanks a lot :)

Some words about the bamboo:

i27140b842c4.png
i27142bhu0ll.png

The rooftops are made from paper, cut a zillion times, then added some wire.
I did a lot of experiments here, with different papers and foils. I ended up with a simple 80g paper. It tends to tear easily when it gets wet by painting, but gives a nice irregular structure.

i26760bfrxzu.png
i26761bjf6ln.png

Bamboo sticks: wire insulation, cut in pieces, shifted on a thinner wire, then carefully heated and pushed together.

i26759bmcb5i.png

Plastic tubes of any sort work as well. I used insulation with diameters of 1 and 1.5 mm from phone cables.
Paintet with light brown acrylics and weathered with wood stain oak medium.

i26611btifxu.png
i26612bffhw0.png
i26613bp95jt.png

Best use is guitar strings for straight lines, brass or any other wire for bows, and copper wire for power supply to the lanterns. As you can see, I didn't have enough guitar strings at stock ;) but I was able to change some of the wires afterwards.
Glued with cyanoacrylate, depending on the material.

i26567bq2tun.png

In this case, first a thin silver wire was pushed through the shaft, then an enameled copper wire.

Great job on that "boat" man! And thank you for sharing your tricks with us. Those lanterns made out of plastic straw are genius also:cool

Great Stuff !
Just watched the movie and some of the behind the scenes yesterday - love the boat scene. I always wonder if this was in any way a salute to the Bladerunner noodle scene?

thanks for sharing !

Awesome!

This would make a nice display with a nice backdrop of the city and the taxi cab.

GFollano

Last edited:
Wow, wow, wow....unreal minaturation!

You should do the taxi too !

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This. Is. Awesome.

I am totally stunned! :eek Extremely inspirational!

Thanks for showing this! If there is any page or whatever where we can follow your non movie related work I'd be happy to do so!

Just re watched the movie last week and was pleased to see such a project this week.

Great job it just POPS ! You captured Mr Kim's boat perfectly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back