5 ft. Falcon. It can be done.

Tom1971

Sr Member
I want to start a new discussion about the possibility of a 5ft Falcon. I have heard rumblings around here for years about maybe a 5ft Falcon kit coming but as of today there has been nothing but a few pieces as far as I know.

With 3D printing and amazing artists like SteveStarkiller, Tony, etc. it is very doable. If you look at the parts being made for the new 29" Hasbro it is just incredible.

Surely someone here can make a base Falcon. Either plans so we can make our own or a kit. Then Tony, who is doing incredible work on Shapeways, along with Steve here and many others can make the various parts and people can then offer resin versions, upgrade as they can, etc.

I really don't see why a 5 footer would be that hard to do.

And before anyone says it just can't be done, that is what everyone said about the Ark project and it's now on it's way to get it's lovely gold finish.

I invite doubters to look below at pg.16 post #154 and then back on pg. 14 post 131:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1098610-16/

What we need is basically a kit or plans for a blank Falcon. Even if someone could just produce plans for the pieces for a blank 5 footer shell then all our various master artists could do the details through Shapeways.

The parts can be offered there and then used to make resin offerings that are less expensive just like is happening with the 29" Falcon.

Even if someone could just break the basic blank hull into pieces and proper measurements then even I could cut and assemble them into a 5ft "blank" Falcon, and I am not nearly as good at props and models as many here. I am guessing it would not take long for someone to come up with a plan for the inner skeleton support as well. Again just look at what is available for the 29" Falcon once we got a base to work with.

The 5 footer is the last big thing I would like to see that has not been done. I think a lot of members feel the same.

It can be done.

Last edited:
Re: 5 ft. Falcon. It really would not be that hard.

There is a member here in the SS forums who is making new blueprints for the 5 footer, using computer engineering techniques I couldn't BEGIN to understand. I don't know if he will sell them or offer them for free, but he is getting close to finishing, I believe. http://www.therpf.com/f10/sw-anh-5-foot-studio-scale-millennium-falcon-build-199048/ you should talk to this guy. he is, at least, covering the basic blueprints. Good luck. I think your idea is awesome. And maybe by the time you get it all figured out, I can afford to get one. :D I absolutely love the 5 footer!

The 5 footer is the last big thing I would like to see that has not been done. I think a lot of members feel the same.

It can be done.

I agree. Definitely possible. I wonder how hard it would be to print something like the skin of a MF perhaps a few millimetres thick considering all of the framework that has to be in place in order for the printer to have something to print on. Some of those pieces of skin will be very large. Would it be better if someone prints all of the skins and then preps them for casting? There is a 44 inch Space 1999 Eagle that was printed up and is scheduled for release soon, so I can't see why the exact same process couldn't be used for the 5 foot MF.

TazMan2000

There are several Millenium Falcon builds in progress and actually there's been an incredible amount of time and effort put forth. It's also probably the most expensive model to recreate next to the Galactica.

Craig

There are several Millenium Falcon builds in progress and actually there's been an incredible amount of time and effort put forth. It's also probably the most expensive model to recreate next to the Galactica.

Craig

Oh yeah. I have been following them for a while as best I can but there is not much as far as progress pics unless I am missing them. I know a lot has gone into mapping and ID of parts, etc.

I believe these are using actual model parts which is an entirely different level of modeling than what I am talking about.

Also I don't think, and please correct me if I am wrong as I hope I am, I don't think any of those are becoming kits for sale.

I believe there is a lot of progress being made on these replicas. It's just slow and very time consuming and is, in a way, like archaeology where most of the time is spent checking facts and details except you're checking measurements and looking for kits. It 's also one of those few replicas where the builders don't openly show off their progress as it is the Mt Everest of model making. However, one good thing is that members here aren't hounding these builders for progress pics and are for the most part leaving them to their work.

And I would think that building this Falcon would be far more expensive than building a Galactica as there have been many SS Galactica's made and completed but to my knowledge no one has completed a replica 5ft Falcon....yet.

I believe there is a lot of progress being made on these replicas. It's just slow and very time consuming and is, in a way, like archaeology where most of the time is spent checking facts and details except you're checking measurements and looking for kits. It 's also one of those few replicas where the builders don't openly show off their progress as it is the Mt Everest of model making. However, one good thing is that members here aren't hounding these builders for progress pics and are for the most part leaving them to their work.

And I would think that building this Falcon would be far more expensive than building a Galactica as there have been many SS Galactica's made and completed but to my knowledge no one has completed a replica 5ft Falcon....yet.

I absolutely agree, which is why I started this. I don't want to bug guys who are building their own personal model and I agree it's the Everest of Studio scale.

Like I mentioned, as cool as these builds are, I don't think any are being converted into a kit to offer for sale. It would be sweat if I am mistaken about it but I believe these are all one of a kinds.

What I am looking at trying to get someone to make is the parts or just blueprints for a blank hull. Then the artists here can go to work up sizing and modifying all their previous work to match the 5 footer.

Each time I make a suggestion for the 29" Falcon within a few days Tony has it on Shapeways.

We just need the base.

I just can't seem to do it. I have tried. If someone could just provide up sized templates for the 5 footer I could cut each piece and put it together. Then spend the rest of my days detailing it happily.

Imagine a smooth Falcon with just blank hulls. The pits can be cut out, etc but just imagine the blank hull sliced up into sections.

If someone gave me measurements I could have the below section cut out and glued together in an evening. A few hours later I could have all the plates cut and glued in place. Tony could easily make a window on Shapeways. Up size and detail changes to 5 ft his guns as well and bam. One evening, two Shapeways order and the top turret section with guns is done.

Next night. Bottom section, and so on. I know I am over simplifying it but if you look at it in sections it's not undoable.

I invite anyone who has not done so to go check out the 29" Hasbro Falcon section of Shapeways. 4 to 5 pages of great stuff. Now think of it as 5 ft pieces.

I asked Tony to mod his MPC or Finemolds under belly turret gun to match the 29" and the next day it was done.

This can be done, we just need a base.

Turret.jpg

I know I am making this sound simpler than it would be but,.......

My pic is a little blurry. No idea why. What I was asking is if that is a known Plexiglas dish, for lack of a better phrase, or did they make it?????

falconmakingoff03b.jpg

Last edited:

The "would not be hard" statement doesn't sit easy with me. No offence but ask the guys what was involved to get to a point where you can start machining bucks based on there files to thermoform acrylic domes and machine the plywood sub structure! Forget about printing much to costly, and forget about resin also. You have to build it the way they did or wherever similar.

Rob

I just got a crazy stupid idea.

There would need to be mods as the DeAgostini version is the 32 inch but,...

as it's coming a piece at a time and we are going to be building it slowly with a frame etc,...

couldn't someone who is good at math (I have tried, can't seem to do it. Not sure why) simply figure out a formula for the pieces or measurements for each piece to make a new version in the 5ft range????? Or just have great measurements for the 5 ft version.

So basically as you get parts for the 32 inch you just up size and scratch build new 5ft versions. Some detail can be 3d printed and what not but wouldn't that give you a great base to work with.???????

What do you think?????

Last edited by a moderator:

What I am looking at trying to get someone to make is the parts or just blueprints for a blank hull. Then the artists here can go to work up sizing and modifying all their previous work to match the 5 footer.

Not sure why you have missed it but the blueprints for a blank hull is exactly what the guys working in this thread are doing. Post 337 shows the renders of exactly what you are asking for and the team are days away from publication.

Update: I see you contributing in that thread, so you have obviously caught up with it. :)

Last edited:
Well, I can certainly appreciate enthusiasm for a 5' ANH Millennium Falcon of one's own!

What I might suggest doing first, to really appreciate just how big this model will be, is to print the following v01 Top-View Blueprint out at 1:1:

- http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=292515&d=1393730747

(Print specifications: at 100 dpi, you will get a print that is 7' x 7' or 84" x 84")

To give some perspective, I had to print mine out in two halves (too big for the printer to print as a whole piece) and the object at the bottom of the following image is my size 10 foot.

biggerBoat_001.jpg

(The white edge in the center of the image gets trimmed off and then the two halves glued together).

But as has been mentioned previously above, we'll be publishing revised blueprints soon, so stay tuned...good luck!

Regards,

Andre

Last edited:

Not sure why you have missed it but the blueprints for a blank hull is exactly what the guys working in this thread are doing. Post 337 shows the renders of exactly what you are asking for and the team are days away from publication.

Update: I see you contributing in that thread, so you have obviously caught up with it. :)

Yep. I am very tired. I guess that's the only excuse I can offer. I saw that and thought, well yeah that is exactly what I was looking for.

I feel kind of silly.

Well, I can certainly appreciate enthusiasm for a 5' ANH Millennium Falcon of one's own!

What I might suggest doing first, to really appreciate just how big this model will be, is to print the following v01 Top-View Blueprint out at 1:1:

- http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=292515&d=1393730747

(Print specifications: at 100 dpi, you will get a print that is 7' x 7' or 84" x 84")

To give some perspective, I had to print mine out in two halves (too big for the printer to print as a whole piece) and the object at the bottom of the following image is my size 10 foot.

View attachment 432104

(The white edge in the center of the image gets trimmed off and then the two halves glued together).

But as has been mentioned previously above, we'll be publishing revised blueprints soon, so stay tuned...good luck!

Regards,

Andre

Wow and wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am really not sure how I missed this.

This is going to be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to start a new discussion about the possibility of a 5ft Falcon.

I really don't see why a 5 footer would be that hard to do.

It can be done.

A 5ft ANH falcon kit is in the works and will be available in June...
The 5 footer begins after the current project wraps up next week. You will see photos of the current project posted by Friday of next week from beginning to end with the final prototype completed. I have somewhere between 70% to 80% of the donor models for the 5 footer already.

And no I'm not blowing smoke or had too many beers.

I kinda feel like when I wait for a package and wait and wait and then finally call to find out where it is and it shows up the next day.

So we can probably scrap this thread.

And holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome news.

Thanks for the info :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back