'Let's talk all things Tolkien'

Joek3rr

Master Member
I'm surprised that no one has talked about this yet, or at least I didn't see anything.

"Warner Bros. is also announcing that in the summer of 2021 it will be releasing a 4K ULTIMATE COLLECTORS’ EDITION with theatrical and extended versions of ALL SIX of the remastered films and new bonus content. Additionally, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the first The Lord of the Rings film, a newly remastered Blu-ray trilogy of The Lord of the Rings films will be available in the Fall of 2021, also including the theatrical and extended versions. "

I'm really interested in seeing this newly remastered version of The Lord of the Rings.

Yeah I heard about it. I'm definitely in for that Collectors set. I'm curious if Jackson will stick will the greenish tint that Fellowship now has or revert back to the original color timing.

Yeah I heard about it. I'm definitely in for that Collectors set. I'm curious if Jackson will stick will the greenish tint that Fellowship now has or revert back to the original color timing.
It's an all new 4k scan and transfer and all sets will include both the theatrical and extended editions. It was supervised by Peter this time instead of Andrew Lesnie so hopefully is doesn't have the green tint (which royally pissed me off as Fellowship is my favorite of the 3).

IT’S OFFICIAL: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy & The Hobbit Trilogy arrive on 4K Ultra HD on 12/1!

Last edited:
It's an all new 4k scan and transfer and all sets will include both the theatrical and extended editions. It was supervised by Peter this time instead of Andrew Lesnie so hopefully is doesn't have the green tint (which royally pissed me off as Fellowship is my favorite of the 3).

IT’S OFFICIAL: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy & The Hobbit Trilogy arrive on 4K Ultra HD on 12/1!
Didn't they both supervise the last remaster? I may be mistaken but I recall PJ was involved in some capacity.

Interestingly, as I understand it the theatrical edition bluray of Fellowship isn't tinted green; only the extended edition is. Again, I've only heard as I don't have the theatrical editions on bluray. Funny enough I was close to buying them but now I'll just wait for the collector's edition.

Didn't they both supervise the last remaster? I may be mistaken but I recall PJ was involved in some capacity.

Interestingly, as I understand it the theatrical edition bluray of Fellowship isn't tinted green; only the extended edition is. Again, I've only heard as I don't have the theatrical editions on bluray. Funny enough I was close to buying them but now I'll just wait for the collector's edition.
I believe Andrew supervised and PJ "approved" them as they were working on the Hobbit at the time. You are also correct as the theatrical blu-ray release is the correct color and the extended is the "green" and black crush mess.

All the sets (Dec release as well as the collectors edition) will have the same disks and transfer, just added features and all 6 films in 1 box for the collectors edition.

As long as they haven't changed the content of the films themselves or the effects. I just hope it's a restoration effort and not the special edition debacle that we've been fighting an uphill battle like with Star Wars and Peter Jackson is just tinkering with his new digital tools to ruin LOTR.

I don't care what he does with Thorin and Friends..... I mean, The Hobbit Trilogy.

As long as they haven't changed the content of the films themselves or the effects. I just hope it's a restoration effort and not the special edition debacle that we've been fighting an uphill battle like with Star Wars and Peter Jackson is just tinkering with his new digital tools to ruin LOTR.

I don't care what he does with Thorin and Friends..... I mean, The Hobbit Trilogy.

My thoughts exactly.

LotR needs to stay pretty true to what it originally was...it needs hardly any “touching up.”

The Hobbit films? Do whatever...because I won’t be watching them again anyway.

Yeah, once was enough. I'd take the Rankin Bass animated film any day. I love that film. That's The Hobbit more than Jackson's efforts by making a 9 hour movie from a 300 page book.

Though to have a beautifully and properly (untouched) restored 4K LOTR set would be magical!

The one redeeming quality about the Hobbit trilogy is the actors. I can still enjoy their performances. The rest of it, yeaaaahhhh.

Actually two redeeming qualities...I forgot about Howard Shore's music.

The Hobbit would've worked perfectly as a TV mini series. It still could. The pacing of the book and narration would lend itself well to that format. I'd much rather they try that than the impossible task of writing original stories that are on par with Tolkien.

Last edited:
OK... So there's the December 1st version in 4k with both theatrical and extended cuts of all three films from each series in separate sets. Then in summer of 2021 there will be an ultimate collectors edition that has the same versions of all six films in one big box with new bonus materials?!?!?! Gah. I guess I wait until summer... but I don't want to!!!!! I must have my precious NOW!!!!

First of all, I'm in complete agreement with most here on The Hobbit trilogy. I felt the performances of all, except a few of the Dwarves, were incredible, but I just couldn't get past the bloated, CGI heavy sequences that continually popped up

That being said, there's a clip floating around, I guess from one of the BTS appendices, that really go into detail with what Jackson was dealing with in making the film. Main point being, he was thrust into the roles of writer, producer, conceptualist, & director, all pretty much at the last possible minute due to Del Toro (who I love) backing out of the films.

I still don't necessarily like the Hobbit films, but after seeing that, I can appreciate that they turned out half as well as they did.

It's worth checking out, if you can find it.

OK... So there's the December 1st version in 4k with both theatrical and extended cuts of all three films from each series in separate sets. Then in summer of 2021 there will be an ultimate collectors edition that has the same versions of all six films in one big box with new bonus materials?!?!?! Gah. I guess I wait until summer... but I don't want to!!!!! I must have my precious NOW!!!!
I'm planning on getting the LOTR set at release, then either passing it down or selling it when the ultimate set comes out. I figured with it being the original trilogy, it'll be a pretty easy sell to recoup some of my money, but I'm in the same boat...I want that 4K of the LOTR like, YESTERDAY!

First of all, I'm in complete agreement with most here on The Hobbit trilogy. I felt the performances of all, except a few of the Dwarves, were incredible, but I just couldn't get past the bloated, CGI heavy sequences that continually popped up

That being said, there's a clip floating around, I guess from one of the BTS appendices, that really go into detail with what Jackson was dealing with in making the film. Main point being, he was thrust into the roles of writer, producer, conceptualist, & director, all pretty much at the last possible minute due to Del Toro (who I love) backing out of the films.

I still don't necessarily like the Hobbit films, but after seeing that, I can appreciate that they turned out half as well as they did.

And all the studios that wanted a piece of the pie, didn't help either. I think The Hobbit films are fair. Heck Peter Jackson still turned out a better films then most do with all the time and money in the world.

Yeah casting was never much of an issue for me with the hobbit so much as losing focus on Bilbo and the films being more about everything going on around him rather than on the title character. The scenes with him and smaug were great though! Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch knocked it out of the park.

Seeing all the artistry in the LOTR in 4k will be spectacular!

Yeah casting was never much of an issue for me with the hobbit so much as losing focus on Bilbo and the films being more about everything going on around him rather than on the title character. The scenes with him and smaug were great though! Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch knocked it out of the park.

Exactly. I can enjoy individual scenes like that one with Smaug or when Gandalf first meets up with Bilbo in the beginning. Like you said though the focus shifts away from Bilbo and that's one of the ways the trilogy falls apart. That's why I like An Unexpected Journey the most of the three because Bilbo has his arc. That's also the problem because he no longer drives the story afterward.

Yeah, I never really faulted PJ for happened with the Hobbit. WB was giving him a hard time and it seemed like his heart wasn't in it. Reminds me of Spielberg making Indy 4 as a favor to George when he wasn't at all interested himself.

I agree with you, but with that said. Seeing the White Council confront Sauron was one of my favorite things. I can remember reading the big timeline in the appendix in the back of Return of the King, and wondering what that looked liked. I was not disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, it was great seeing Christopher Lee again in the role I think he was born to play, as well as all the other returning characters from LOTR. I just felt those scenes and others like it took too much precedence over Bilbo.

I can’t remember which fan edit I have downloaded, but it tried to trim all the fat and packed it into a lengthy but much more watchable 4ish hour package. I actually REALLY like the first one, but by the third entry it was so mired in murky garbage that I don’t think I’ve ever seen the theatrical cut all the way through.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back