'Let's talk all things Tolkien'

I can’t remember which fan edit I have downloaded, but it tried to trim all the fat and packed it into a lengthy but much more watchable 4ish hour package. I actually REALLY like the first one, but by the third entry it was so mired in murky garbage that I don’t think I’ve ever seen the theatrical cut all the way through.

I agree. Here is a link to the Maple films J.R.R Tolkien Hobbit cut and also a second cut with the White Council Durin's folk

Downloads

As long as they haven't changed the content of the films themselves or the effects. I just hope it's a restoration effort and not the special edition debacle that we've been fighting an uphill battle like with Star Wars and Peter Jackson is just tinkering with his new digital tools to ruin LOTR.

I don't care what he does with Thorin and Friends..... I mean, The Hobbit Trilogy.
The trouble is, if they don't re-render effects, then a great deal of footage will simply be 2k upscaled to 4.

The trouble is, if they don't re-render effects, then a great deal of footage will simply be 2k upscaled to 4.
This is the only official info I have seen.

All six films have been fully remastered by Weta Digital in New Zealand in a process overseen by director Peter Jackson. For The Lord of the Rings, this includes new 4K scans of original camera negative and new 4K scans of the original VFX film outs

So I don't think it will be re-rendered, but better than just upscaled.

Hmm, but what resolution were the effects when they were filmed out?
2K, baby.

Anyway, here's a comparison of the color grading on the blu-rays vs the DVDs (DVD on the left, BR on the right)

LotR1.jpeg

LotR2.jpeg

LotR3.jpeg

LotR4.jpeg

LotR6.jpeg

LotR5.jpeg

Admittedly, there are a few of the above shots that were improved upon from the DVD to the Blu-Ray. But overall, it's just a mess.

SB

So did anybody get this new 4K release?

It got really good review and supposedly fixed the green tint of the previous FOTR Blu-ray.

Only problem now is you can’t find it anywhere?! Seems to be on back order at Walmart, Best Buy and Amazon?!

Same!
I imagine with the greater scope of a tv series there'll be more time to honour Tolkien's immersive mythopoeia for us Eäophiles and also enough drama and action to satisfy those that aren't.

After everything we've gotten these past few years, is anyone really expecting this to be good?
Not only will it not be good, it's going to $%#! all over Tolkien.

I wish Christopher was still alive to protect his father's legacy. Too bad the rest of the family are money-grubbing sellouts.

Just so everyone knows, that video was done practically, with real molten metal and water.
This singular fact is the only thing that has given me any good feelings about the show. But still, really low expectations. Anyone been able to figure out if Weta is involved?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back