4foot Optimus Prime G1 rifle scrtchbuild thread.

CJS

So I decided to take on this huge gun. It's Optimus Primes gun based on the Animated film. What Im planning to do is work with the cartoon shape and then modernize it and detail it with all the heat sinks pipes and whatever else to make it look more realistic. The original gun would be too smooth and boring. The great thing about this build is I can work on each section individually, every piece slides off the main tube like a giant shishkabob. Im actually aiming to finish by the summer because I have a wicked opportunity to get it on display at TFCON12 in one of the major booths. Heres a first kinda look. I'll keep posting as things go. Cell phone pic, not much more to see yet lol

Here's the reference pic off the web I based on for dimensions etc.
primegundetailsmall.jpg

photo0107xf.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck on your build ! I made a 3 ft Optimus Prime Ion blaster last year and it was a fun build. Mine was the 20th anniversary version though.

Thanx for all the comments, I know right now it s all wood pvc and a truck oil filter lol but now the real majic begins with all the detailing and heatsinks etc etc. Best thing is now i can start freestyling the build. This is the part I like. YsPLZ

I see you're using the variant gun. The G1 prime had 2 barrels at various points, one like you have and one that looks more like the cartoon and a normal gun barrel. Looks good so far though.

I see you're using the variant gun. The G1 prime had 2 barrels at various points, one like you have and one that looks more like the cartoon and a normal gun barrel. Looks good so far though.
I'm kinda combining 3 looks into one. I'm working on all the heatsinks and cut out panels for lighting. Then I'll do tons of small details and pipes and hoses to give it more of a functional look. It's very evolve as things go. A really nice freestyle build but the image of the gun needed to stay along the original as close as possible so when you see the shape you know exactly what it is. Thanx for the comments though. Should have some new pics up at the end of the week

Some recent pics, was worried about finding something to adhere all the wood detailing and strip to the pipe. ABS cement worked amazing. I rough sanded down all mating edges. I have about 50 nice detail pieces that will really detail up the middle size details that still have to be attached. Then I'm doing some opaque panel cutouts for lighting, then work on the handle and the end. After that a solid black base coat to see how it all looks one color and then some pipes and the really small detail parts. Measured it and it's 49"inches long lol. I really like how the heat sinked middle section worked out. My next pics I will use my new digital camera
photo0168u.jpg

photo0170qr.jpg

Just some newer pics from this weekend, working on all the cutaways and going to figure out the lighting. Then more outer detailing and some line scribing. I'll update again after all the cutouts and lighting are done. Hit the 30dollar build mark because of primer lol.
primegun1.jpg

primegun2.jpg

primegun3.jpg

primegun4.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. All the positive comments from this site are huge motivators, as well as the Toronto prop party and all the other awesome builds that go on here. Thnx again.

beautiful man. In fact, the "gills" you added match the vintage toy production method of giving a recessed area mass, without having to spend the money to make the area solid on older toys. It blends with the style perfectly.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back