4foot Optimus Prime G1 rifle scrtchbuild thread.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by CJS, Feb 8, 2012.

1. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

So I decided to take on this huge gun. It's Optimus Primes gun based on the Animated film. What Im planning to do is work with the cartoon shape and then modernize it and detail it with all the heat sinks pipes and whatever else to make it look more realistic. The original gun would be too smooth and boring. The great thing about this build is I can work on each section individually, every piece slides off the main tube like a giant shishkabob. Im actually aiming to finish by the summer because I have a wicked opportunity to get it on display at TFCON12 in one of the major booths. Heres a first kinda look. I'll keep posting as things go. Cell phone pic, not much more to see yet lol

Here's the reference pic off the web I based on for dimensions etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. timelordjedi777

timelordjedi777 Well-Known Member

Looking good. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

3. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Good luck on your build ! I made a 3 ft Optimus Prime Ion blaster last year and it was a fun build. Mine was the 20th anniversary version though.

4. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

Nice work on the Optimus Primes gun based, looking real nice.

5. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Thanx for all the comments, I know right now it s all wood pvc and a truck oil filter lol but now the real majic begins with all the detailing and heatsinks etc etc. Best thing is now i can start freestyling the build. This is the part I like. YsPLZ

6. xioulong

xioulong New Member

Nice work. I especially like the use of an oil filter. Awesome.

7. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

LOl It was perfect size. Doing some cutouts and some rings on it as the final work happens. I'm trying to build it for under $50.00 lol

8. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I see you're using the variant gun. The G1 prime had 2 barrels at various points, one like you have and one that looks more like the cartoon and a normal gun barrel. Looks good so far though.

9. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

I'm kinda combining 3 looks into one. I'm working on all the heatsinks and cut out panels for lighting. Then I'll do tons of small details and pipes and hoses to give it more of a functional look. It's very evolve as things go. A really nice freestyle build but the image of the gun needed to stay along the original as close as possible so when you see the shape you know exactly what it is. Thanx for the comments though. Should have some new pics up at the end of the week

10. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

I would love to see any of those finished ,always loved the 20th anniversary edition was bad to the bone.....

11. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Some recent pics, was worried about finding something to adhere all the wood detailing and strip to the pipe. ABS cement worked amazing. I rough sanded down all mating edges. I have about 50 nice detail pieces that will really detail up the middle size details that still have to be attached. Then I'm doing some opaque panel cutouts for lighting, then work on the handle and the end. After that a solid black base coat to see how it all looks one color and then some pipes and the really small detail parts. Measured it and it's 49"inches long lol. I really like how the heat sinked middle section worked out. My next pics I will use my new digital camera
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Just some newer pics from this weekend, working on all the cutaways and going to figure out the lighting. Then more outer detailing and some line scribing. I'll update again after all the cutouts and lighting are done. Hit the 30dollar build mark because of primer lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. spoudastis

spoudastis Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW this is looking amazing! keep up the great work!

subscribed.

14. Igniitus

Igniitus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

phenomenal.

15. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Looking GREAT(y)thumbsup

16. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Holy crap this is awesome. Need to take it to a botcon if Peter Cullen is there for a signing lol.

17. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

If you can get him to hold it while you take a picture, that would be even better!!

Looks great!

18. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments. All the positive comments from this site are huge motivators, as well as the Toronto prop party and all the other awesome builds that go on here. Thnx again.

19. zanderwitaz

zanderwitaz Well-Known Member

beautiful man. In fact, the "gills" you added match the vintage toy production method of giving a recessed area mass, without having to spend the money to make the area solid on older toys. It blends with the style perfectly.

20. CankleBreaker

CankleBreaker New Member

Awesome build, can't wait to see the finished product!

21. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Havent shown pics in a while. Currently took all the cutaway details out to finish off the exterior without having to take it apart all the time. So once the exterior details are all done Ill paint the whole thing then re-assemble. Not like this project was big enough I decided to make a cool energon cube display thats got like a storage/recharging theme. So now it has taken on a life of its own and become as big as a project as the gun itself. The cube will be the purple glowing one like in the cartoons but ill layer transluscent images of the movie cubes symbols. Just like the gun it will be a mashup of both eras. It will all sit inside a flipped 65 gallon aquarium. The display is going to be a pearled silver base with all silver and clear tubes and wires and whatever else works, I really want a big contrast to the gun when its all done in a charcoal metallic black. There'll be some cool lighting aside from the glowing cube and possibly the open ports at the back of the gun will have flaps that open with servos to reveal the guts there. I got the cube from Michaels, its a picture/photo cube for 5 bucks if anyone was looking for something similar. The whole build I think is just at 50bucks now for Balsa, a pair of cubes, some more paint and some screws etc. Yes I buikd stuff in a retrofit closet lol.Thanks for checking it out.
    [​IMG]

22. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Some newer close up shots. Maybe halfway point for the build. Still sorting out stuff and next step is some major plumbing and tubes and stuff. I'm trying to make the gun as Transformers as possible and then the display as human technology as possible. Kinda like we have the gun but it's in a secure storage and being kept on charge with a small energon cube. Thats the idea anyway, should be ready for this years TFcon int Toronto.Thanks for looking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Wow! That is incredible!

24. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

ok...I've just gotta ask, when are you starting the costume build?? LOL!! Really neat build! Great work!!

25. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Absolutely beautiful. I wish they'd have gone back to this rifle for the newer Generations toys.

26. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. A latest quick pic to date. Hammering out the layering details for the energon/allspark cube mashup.
    [​IMG]

27. Bradleyw

Bradleyw Well-Known Member

Holy Crap that is awesome, truely love the proportions there brilliant.

28. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Almost done the cube holder. Gonna mess with some light gels for color. Then last thing is redo the inside patterns, engrave it, paint it then sand off the excess paint so only the engravings will be there. Im thinking dark silver maybe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. spidersolo

spidersolo Active Member

Thats looks great! well done.

30. ACJay

ACJay Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is freaking ridiculous BRAVO!!

31. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Finished carving and detailing the cube. On to the next section.
    [​IMG]
    Placed in the containment, holder,,,,,,thing lol.
    [​IMG]

32. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Figure it's been a while. I moved and all sorts off fun stuff lol. Anyways got back at it because I want to finish it and have an opportunity to display it at a huge theater here. I tore down the display to lay down the silver/blue titanium base. Finally got the back section done and laid all the base color on it. Its a charcoal metallic which is a nice departure from the standard black look. Next Ill put all the guts back in and in tandem finish the display part. Almost home stretch because 90% of the building is done, all paint and reassembly from here. Its dead straight the picture, possibly the lens and the angle the gun is on makes it look off but I checked and its dead straight (phew) lol. Ill update next week with hopefully the display fully painted. Thanks for reading.
    [​IMG]

33. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Just getting it all back together and doing finishing details and painting. Thanks for checking it out.

[​IMG]

34. postmanpat

postmanpat Well-Known Member

Wow!!!! Incredible work.

35. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Cool news, I entered it in TFCON 2014 art contest. It got 1st place. What an honor, felt great after all the hard work for sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

36. apvandergriff

apvandergriff Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dude,
    Congrats! That's awesome. Cool trophy to boot!