46 inch ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-A

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Ketzer.com, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

2. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

That kit is NICE

Unfortunately I can't afford an almost $2,000 kit though. So im super happy the Polar Lights is coming out with their large version soon. From what I understand, even thought its a bit smaller than deboer, its much more accurate in terms of details for only 40 bucks (preorder price at dollhousehobbies).
    Im sure your client was happy to hear about this. [​IMG]

Tim what kind of paints are you planning on using for the aztecing? Paul olsen did a pretty informative write up on his site reguarding original model painting techniques. (near the bottom) http://www.olsenart.com/strek.html

I have done research and found that a company named metaflake who makes a specific brand of paint called "flip-flop" is the actual type of mother-of-pearl paint he is referring too in the article. Its hard to find info about, and will set you back about 130 for 4 color types. (btw is also not even shown well on the metaflake homepage, you have to call and inquire about it.)

There is a guy over at hobbytalk forums working on a deboer, here is a progess shot of his so far. Hes going with the original TMP refit color scheme.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

OK, now my mouth is watering! I can;t wait to get the PL kit as well. Would really like to have the DeBoer kit but it is outta my price range!

Very nice work!

Kenny

4. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's a big ship! [​IMG]

5. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not so big as her captain, I think. [​IMG]

6. Howard

Howard Sr Member

No doubt you guys have seen this:

http://www.thomasmodels.com/

The PL Enterprise refit looks VERY nice. I just wish they had produced a classic 1701 in this scale.

Howard.

7. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is awsome, if I only had the money and the time!

Got an update from culttvman.com that the Polar Lights E has been pushed back until January 2005, I think the price tag is going to be in the $60 region. Rumor is that they're planning a large scale TOS E as well (but that's still from the rumor mill).

Cheers,
    Dave C

8. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

9. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

I can't imagine Polar Lights making an Enterprise E in 1/350 scale...that would make it HUGE!!!It be in the vacinisty of 48" +.I think it be pushing it if they made an Excelsior,or Enterprise B.The thought is nice though.I'm terrible with scales...how big/long will the Ploar Lights re-fit Enterprise be,27-32"?I've noticed some slight indescrepencies with the Polar Lights "test/prototype' of the re-fit Enterprise.Hopefully they will catch&rectify it.I hope they make certain parts cast/injected in clear,or blue tinted for lighting purposes,like the engines,warp engines,deflector crystal,and navigatinal dish.

10. vaderman1701

vaderman1701 Well-Known Member

The Polar Lights refit will be 34 inches long. Will also be the most accurate kit ever produced. Thomas Sasser is really putting his heart into this one.

Scott

11. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

12. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

MMMMMMM! If only we had a Reliant this size as well! God! Can you imagine how huge Excelsior would be to scale with this Enterprise A? I thought my Lunar Models Excelsior was big.

13. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

So how much longer do we have to wait?

14. SinkTube Jedi

SinkTube Jedi Well-Known Member

Polar Lights does it again....AWESOME!!!

15. venkman71

venkman71 Well-Known Member

Pushed back to APRIL now. [​IMG]

16. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Sweet mother of f... Now that's pretty. I must've built three or four Enterprises when I was young. It was may favorite model to build, paint and detail.

17. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

WOW....that's big.....where the hell am I gonna put that?

18. venkman71

Not for nuthin' fellas but I thought I'd mention it,...
    I actually spoke to Dennis Deboers today,(I don't think there is a nicer guy on the planet. Unassuming, friendly, like something outta the movie Fargo), and I was informed that the Refit Enterprise molds have been redone and he will be doing a limited number of kits in March.
    $2,000 bones a piece but worth it IMO.
    FYI for those who may be interested.

19. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any news on the Reliant they were doing? That is the one I
    would love to have!

20. venkman71

Also in March,...twice as detailed as the refit, if you can fathom that,(I can't), and at about $2,100 range for the kit and about $45 shipping. That aint' chump change but I think this is definately a case of you get what you pay for.

21. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

COOL!

Any photo's or a web site for them?

22. venkman71

there's shots on the Hobbytalk forums but you need to be a member. [​IMG]

23. Aegis159

Aegis159 Sr Member

Hey Tim, I'd like to talk to you about this....

[​IMG]

PM me please....

24. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The model is finished. I will post more pictures soon.

Tim

25. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

jesus.... :confused

26. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

OH MY STARS.. Breathtaking.. :eek:ohlala

27. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Beautiful Work.

28. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Thanks guys.
    I have to go thru about 200 photos of that model. Then I will upload a making of onto my website.
    Here is a
    LARGE photo of the model.

Tim

29. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

:eek

incredible.

Tim, can you give us the information of what paints you used, how you did the aztec paneling and your lighting info.

Thx.

edit: MORE PICTS PLEASE......

30. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

I used Tamiya paints. I will post TONS of photos and an extensive making of on my webpage soon. I am too busy at work right now, but hopefully I will have something on my site by the end of next week.
    There already are some pictures of teh model being built at:
    http://www.ketzer.com/enterprise

Tim

31. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Tim, that is incredible. I wish I was your friend. ;)

32. jakob2121

jakob2121 Well-Known Member

Holy crap.

33. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

34. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Shame on you Tim...

Does Paramount know you stole their filming model?

;)

That is HANDS DOWN the best refit model I have EVER seen... Just how long did it take to do it? Also, just what is your internal lighting system?

-Gary

35. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

I am no fan of the Trek, more of a SW guy, but that is an absolutely beautiful model. Superbly executed, from the paintjob to the lights. Thanks for sharing, and let's see some more hi-res shots.

Bruce

36. Studio Stasis

I agree, this is AMAZING. The only thing I never liked about the Deboer hulls version is the sensor dish. The ring of lights around it and the dish dont seem proportionate. Something about that area just makes the model very easy to identify. If you put 30 pictures of the Enterprise A up, and only one was the Deboer, I could pick it out based on that area of the ship. I think the Polar Lights appears to have gotten that area right, according to the photos I've seen. Otherwise the sheer SIZE and beauty of this model takes the cake.
    This buildup is stunning.

Josh

37. Studio Stasis

I take that back. Only from certain angles does that area seem strange to me. Most notably the 45 degree angles. The front views of the ship look really great in these pics. The little light border around the sensor dish seems a tad bit too thick to me in proportion to the dish itself, and I think I figured out what bothers me about that border. On the film model they inset that area and it wasn't nearly as visible at those 45 degree angles, as well as the thickness or size of the border lights were smaller in scale I think. It just stands out to me as looking really strange from the 45 degree angle pics and still a bit too prominant from the front view. Regardless of that, what kind of time does it take to build this model to make it look THIS GOOD? It is absolutely killer. I really want more high res pics if you can offer them to us.

Josh

38. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Jezus Josh, just look at the pretty pictures, will 'ya?. ;)

39. Studio Stasis

You're right, sorry. No comments allowed. This forum isn't about discussion. ;)

As far as i'm concerned this is not only the nicest looking Enterprise buildup outside of the real deal, but it is extremely photogenic. Models, even large ones, dont typically look THIS good in photos. This thing is unreal.

Now, that being said, adding my 2 cents about accuracy is not something new to this board. Not only has this been discussed before, regarding this very same model, but while belonging to an Enterprise A builders club on yahoo, there was mention by some of the other experts that the model had other inaccuracies. I dont visibly pick up on the others, except this one. I would LOVE to see a build up Polar Lights next to this model, to see the differences, especially in the sensor dish area.
    This comment regarding the dish has nothing to do with Tims outstanding buildup. It is something I'd love to see photo comparisons of.

40. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Right on. I don't see the discrepancy...

41. Studio Stasis

I guess it's just a result of looking at this model for years and having it burned into your brain. Either that or having an artistic mind and being able to pick out things that are either more vivid than you remember or out of place.
    I cant get enough of looking at Tims work, it is just remarkable.

Here are a few pics to explain myself. I dont want you think im going on some rant that has nothing to back it up. I just wonder if anyone else sees what I see. In these photos, look at the general proportions of the sensor dish vs the border lights ring around it. The dashes seem skinnier on the film model and more "inset" They are so much inset that when the film model is at a quarter view angle from the camera, you actually lose the border ring of lights on both sides, and can only see the top and bottom of the ring directly. Like this shot on the right. The sides of the ring are blocked from the superstructure at this angle, but not on the Deboer.

[​IMG]

Part of it is the proportion of the dish, part proportion of the ring thickness, and part intensity of the glow that it gives off. Sometimes you never even notice the ring in the films, and in the Debour interpretation it is very noticable and dominant.
    I cant say as I mind it THAT much, but if you look at the comparison pic of the Polar Lights sensor that someone recently posted here, you'll see that it is very similar in proportion, if not dead on. Here are the examples. The film model is on the left.

[​IMG]

This photo just shows how there are often times that you dont even see the ring from a distance, and the Deboer is so intense.

[​IMG]

This shot also shows how the "dashes" in the ring are about half as thick on the film model as the Deboer. Its almost like each dash was made with a much bigger router bit. Does that make sense? They aren't as "inset" to the ring trench either, thus visible at angles that the film miniature hides the ring lights.

[​IMG]

This is the best I could do to illustrate what I mean. I think the model on the Deboer website is the only other Deboer I have seen and it was the reason I came to this conclusion. I think the website pics are even MORE extreme and Tim did a much better job of the lighting to scale, to decrease the overflow glow that can ruin the illusion of scale on a model.

I think it would be cool if Deboer reworked this one area of his kit by using the Polar Lights as reference for depth and scale dimensions. I think it would improve the look of it for me, or I would just have to attempt to accurize it somehow if I had one.

I wish the Polar Lights model was this large..

Once again, I would love more high res pics Tim. If only I had half the talent you have for building models, geez. I shudder to imagine what your build-up fee must be. haha.

Josh

42. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Wow. OK , I see what you are talking about. I think Tim may have overlit the ring portion a bit, but I like the look. I agree, it seems the DeBoer has a more pronounced outer ring, exagerated furhter by the lighting he used. I actually like the look, but I see the differnces. I was only teasing you, by the way ;).

43. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

When I built the model, I did notice that the dashes around the ring were a little too wide, but there was not really anything that I could do about that. I could have made them thinner, but that would not have changed the gap between dish and outer ring. (check my website to see the quarter inch thick resin the instruction said I should cut the holes out of... The ring with the dashes is built from scratch)

There are things wrong with the model, by the way. Missing panel lines and some proportions are off.

In another forum somebody pointed out that the dish should be blue. I have seen photos where it looked brown. The whole deflector dish assembly can be removed and a colored filter can be added from behind.

The photos were taken with a Canon 350D. They are 8 megapixel large. I will see what I can do about uploading large files.

It's pretty funny to see that people notice the larger light dashes, but nobody has pointd out yet that several decals are missing (some were missing on the original sheet and some on the sheet were WAY too large for that model)

Also, if you look close, you will see that the red lines under the saucer section do not go around the back of the "neck". I forgot to add those before I took the photos. :$

The engines are also slightly too bright, but it is easier to dim the lights than making them brighter would be.

The top of the saucer is not glued down. If it were, and one of the LEDs fried, it would be impossible to replace. Also, with the top section removable, it is still possible to add the lounge behind the bridge.

I will have a complete making of with lots more photos on my website soon.

Tim

44. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Good greief. Beam me the eff up, I wanna move in and live in that model. Top work work. Absolutley top freakin' work.

Hope you don't miind but I snagged a couple of shots off your site of that beauty to use as desk top images.

Dang...a-freakin-mazing.

45. Archie Opteryx

Archie Opteryx Well-Known Member

46. Nektu

Nektu Well-Known Member

I own this kit...and to this day think it's the best engineered model I have ever seen. The ring issue is something that, to me, is so minor compared to the whole thing. It has to be seen in person to appreciate it fully.
    Couldn't the ring issue be fixed fairly easily with some strip styrene and a steady hand?

KK

47. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

And i thought i was obsessing with my research.. What a thourogh job on all fronts by all.. i've got alot to work up to..

48. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tim the Deflector Array is shown in both lighting configurations....

IIRC its is Brown during sublight/impulse and goes to the full-on Blue when the ship goes to warp. At least this is how it looks in ST:TMP. The warp nacelles are also powered down during impulse - so no bright blue/purple engines.

By the time of the Enterprise A and the later films it was shown full on all the time though.

Personally I LOVE the lighting scheme on this one - its the best of both worlds IMHO.

-Gary

49. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Thanks Gary. I did not know this. I don't even recall the last time a saw a Star Trek movie. :)
    I guess the owner will have to add some gels to the dish and the engines.

Most of the photos of the model I have taken at different exposures and with lights on and off. So I can adjust the lighting in Photoshop.

Tim

50. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member