4 foot Jupiter 2 - Anyone know how the gear worked

Originally posted by toyroy@Dec 16 2005, 07:57 PM

Hi Mike,
Are you talking to me, or Y3a?

Thanks so much, for all the great Jupiter 2 material on your site, BTW.
[snapback]1137474[/snapback]​

Thanks. I'm talking to you , Y , everyone and anyone. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by toyroy+Dec 16 2005, 08:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyroy @ Dec 16 2005, 08:09 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-y3a
@Dec 16 2005, 11:38 AM
The more I look at it The more the door HAS to be spring loaded to close. 
[snapback]1137458[/snapback]​

You may be right, but then the doors would tend to close before, or during, the gear retraction. What would hold them open?
[snapback]1137482[/snapback]​
[/b]

I imagine the easing of the tension on the pully cable would allow the springs tension to close the footpad door when so desired.

But we can wait and see what the "Official" word is from Y . :p lol

J/K

But that's my guess.

Originally posted by Jupiter-2+Dec 16 2005, 12:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jupiter-2 @ Dec 16 2005, 12:16 PM)</div>
Originally posted by toyroy@Dec 16 2005, 08:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-y3a
@Dec 16 2005, 11:38 AM
The more I look at it The more the door HAS to be spring loaded to close. 
[snapback]1137458[/snapback]​

You may be right, but then the doors would tend to close before, or during, the gear retraction. What would hold them open?
[snapback]1137482[/snapback]​

I imagine the easing of the tension on the pully cable would allow the springs tension to close the footpad door when so desired.

But we can wait and see what the "Official" word is from Y . :p lol

J/K

But that's my guess.

[snapback]1137489[/snapback]​
[/b]

Would you please indicate what you mean, by "J/K"? Sorry, for the stupid question.

Originally posted by toyroy@Dec 16 2005, 04:12 PM
Would you please indicate what you mean, by "J/K"? Sorry, for the stupid question.
[snapback]1137526[/snapback]​

J/K means ... Just Kidding :lol

Originally posted by Jupiter-2+Dec 16 2005, 01:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jupiter-2 @ Dec 16 2005, 01:18 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-toyroy
@Dec 16 2005, 04:12 PM
[snapback]1137526[/snapback]​

J/K means ... Just Kidding :lol
[snapback]1137530[/snapback]​
[/b]

Thank you. Me soooo stupid.... :lol

OK. The chain is pulled around the inside of the saucer, and pulls the door and leg cables at the same time. The leg cables have some springloaded slack in them so the doors open first. The chain keeps the doors open because they have a spring to add slack after they are open - as if the spring is hooked to the back of the door and to its cable which in turn goes to the chain. after the doors are pulled open, the leg cables pull the legs into down position, and when they get al the way down, a switch stops the chain mechanics. The SPFX guy waits til the gear needs to go up to reverse polarity, or they could simply let a DC motor stall, reversing polarity for the up movement, where the return springs let the legs go up first, and when the cable is released enough the doors would slide shut, helped by a spring used to close the doors. The 3 springs would all be of different strenghts and length. I wonder if the ram had a guide in the gear well, or was attached to the points overhead of the wells??

Originally posted by y3a@Dec 16 2005, 05:57 PM
I wonder if the ram had a guide in the gear well, or was attached to the points overhead of the wells??
[snapback]1137717[/snapback]​

I gather by 'ram', you are referring to what I think of as the shock strut.

Again, my only information comes from videotape of the show. It now appears to me, that the angle of the strut with respect to vertical is greater as the gear leg retracts. As I project the strut centerline inward from two views at opposite end's of the strut's motion, they meet at a point within the upper deck. The only way I can see the strut motion being the same, by being constrained at some point within the gear well, is through the use of some sort of swing linkage.

Here is a glimpse of the foot pad door , slide rail and pulley that operated the rear landing gear :

rearlegfootpaddoortrackandpulleyglimpse.jpg

Does this help?

What can you decipher from this?

[snapback]1137416[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Mike,
I'm having problems making things out in this picture, I'm afraid. It appears one finger is holding up a rod, to which the door is attached. The door appears to have a slot in it, to the left of the rod. I see the inclined door track, but no pulley. I do see a disconnected bell crank, though.

Is this assembly shown in-place, inside the hull? Also, I'm curious about the purpose of the '7' shaped piece. Is this to hold the pad in position, so as not to interfere with the door, to electrically trigger something, or what?

OK heres the composited image...

the top is from the Autopsy Video and was flipped to match the rest of the image as seen from the top.

The top sides is from MY HERO cast.

The bottom is also MY HERO cast, but the image was flipped to match the positions as seen from above.

I had to tamper with each layers transparency to get it to look THIS GOOD. Jeez.

J2correctd-.jpg

OK.  The chain is pulled around the inside of the saucer, and pulls the door and leg cables at the same time.  The leg cables have some springloaded slack in them so the doors open first.  The chain  keeps the doors open because they have a spring to add slack after they are open - as if the spring is hooked to the back of the door and to its cable which in turn goes to the chain.  after the doors are pulled open, the leg cables pull the legs into down position, and when they get al the way down, a switch stops the chain mechanics.  The SPFX guy waits til the gear needs to go up to reverse polarity, or they could simply let a DC motor stall, reversing polarity for the up movement, where the  return springs let the legs go up first, and when the cable is released enough the doors would slide shut, helped by a spring used to close the doors.  The 3 springs would all be of different strenghts and length.
[snapback]1137717[/snapback]​

Many thanks, again. You really solved the biggest part of the mystery, here.

The use of the springs is interesting. It would provide a subtle force on the sliding doors, insuring a smooth motion- as long as the mechanism is relatively low-friction.

As for the door motion, I'd still like to know whether there is any in/out opening/closing motion, in addition to the sideways sliding. And, if so, specifically how it is achieved.

Thanks for the imagery Y - pretty cool. :thumbsup

I got a question though ... All the flipping around and rotating and 3 level rendering ... I've somewhat lost my bearings here ...

Granted the Hero did not have a main hatch ... the pod bay doors should be on the same side of the ship as the main hatch , you can see Jay pointing to it's location on the Hero here:

j2ai0021.jpg
j2ai0022.jpg

But looking at your layered photo the pod bay is on the opposite side of the ship from the main hatch.

What I am wondering if this is just my confusion of grasping your layering or if on your hull the pod doors are indeed on the opposite side of the ship from the main hatch?

The leg cables have some springloaded slack in them so the doors open first. 

I always ask you this question Y , forgive me for asking it again... :rolleyes

You said the leg cables have some spring loaded slack in them ... matter of factly.

What I am wondering is IF this is something Jay (or anyone else) told you they observed from actually viewing the Hero and observing "springs" OR is this your conclussion based on your personal observations and renderings theories , etc... ?

I'm starting to feel like Hooper here from JAWS ... but . I'm not saying you are wrong , and I think you are probably correct ... but can you really speak so "factually" about it to present it as "This is how it was done." ? :angel

Originally posted by Jupiter-2+Dec 20 2005, 04:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jupiter-2 @ Dec 20 2005, 04:06 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-y3a
@Dec 16 2005, 05:57 PM
The leg cables have some springloaded slack in them so the doors open first. 

I always ask you this question Y , forgive me for asking it again... :rolleyes

You said the leg cables have some spring loaded slack in them ... matter of factly.

What I am wondering is IF this is something Jay (or anyone else) told you they observed from actually viewing the Hero and observing "springs" OR is this your conclussion based on your personal observations and renderings theories , etc... ?

I'm starting to feel like Hooper here from JAWS ... but . I'm not saying you are wrong , and I think you are probably correct ... but can you really speak so "factually" about it to present it as "This is how it was done." ? :angel

[snapback]1140209[/snapback]​
[/b]
Well.......... you see pulley wheels on the end of the legs and the "A" frame thing across the gear wells. they line up and can only be used to lower the gear, otherwise the "A" frame wouldn't need to be there. If a chain was used (no slack in a chain) then the fact that the doors open first then you had to have some delay in the mechanical system. Slack in the cable that pulls the gear down is the only place to do it. I think it was springs as it's most simple. A week spring could taake up the slack so the cable would stilll set into the groove of the pulley wheel seems logical. There is NOTHING in the Hero on the tape so all is speculation, but what IS known from the legs and all is how it most likely worked. The door ramps don't seem to pivot, so either they had a bevel on the doors themselves, or the angle of the cable pulled the door away from the hole first, but then HOW did it happen when closing?

A week spring could taake up the slack so the cable would stilll set into the groove of the pulley wheel seems logical.
[snapback]1140219[/snapback]​

Um, if the spring in the leg deployment line was weak, how could the gear hold up the model's weight? Not that it would have to, with the suspension lines holding the ship.

If that was the case, how many four-footer owners would want such a gear?

Originally posted by Jupiter-2@Dec 20 2005, 12:53 PM

j2ai0021.jpg
j2ai0022.jpg

[snapback]1140202[/snapback]​

Was the hero originally built with it's hull in two parts? If so, how were the two halves held together?

Also, I notice the pad doors recessed in this picture. But, they don't match the hull color.

Originally posted by toyroy@Dec 20 2005, 09:55 PM
A week spring could taake up the slack so the cable would stilll set into the groove of the pulley wheel seems logical.

Um, if the spring in the leg deployment line was weak, how could the gear hold up the model's weight? Not that it would have to, with the suspension lines holding the ship.

If that was the case, how many four-footer owners would want such a gear?
[snapback]1140448[/snapback]​
The weak spring is only to hold some of the cable slack, after the cable and spring become pulled enough to pull the spring out to the length of the slack(no more slack) then the leg would be pulled into the down position. The strength of the cable, and the pulley arrangement would hold the model up...

Originally posted by Jupiter-2@Dec 20 2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the imagery Y  - pretty cool.  :thumbsup

I got a question though ... All the flipping around and rotating and 3 level rendering ... I've somewhat lost my bearings here ...

Granted the Hero did not have a main hatch ... the pod bay doors should be on the same side of the ship as the main hatch , you can see Jay pointing to it's location on the Hero here:

j2ai0021.jpg
j2ai0022.jpg

But looking at your layered photo the pod bay is on the opposite side of the ship from the main hatch.

What I am wondering if this is just my confusion of grasping your layering or if on your hull the pod doors are indeed on the opposite side of the ship from the main hatch?

[snapback]1140202[/snapback]​

OK YOU'RE RIGHT...

Stupid me... I flipped it TWICE in the process.

FIXINATED...

BTW - The cable to the gear leg...
Picture this. A 3 foot long steel cable with one end of a weak spring crimped onto the line 1 foot in. the spring is 2 inches long compressed. Seven inches of cable are measured off, and a second crimp, with the other end of the spring is attached. You pull the spring out to the 7" spot, and no more springy, because cable is now tight. The spring to pull the gear back up doesn't need to be THAT strong.

The door ramps don't seem to pivot, so either they had a bevel on the doors themselves, or the angle of the cable pulled the door away from the hole first, but then HOW did it happen when closing?

The in/out motion, if that's what it is, seems very smooth. Is the outer, visible part of the door backed by anything? I would not imagine the visible surface would be subject to any contact with it's motion gear.

Originally posted by toyroy@Dec 21 2005, 04:32 PM
The door ramps don't seem to pivot, so either they had a bevel on the doors themselves, or the angle of the cable pulled the door away from the hole first, but then HOW did it happen when closing?

The in/out motion, if that's what it is, seems very smooth. Is the outer, visible part of the door backed by anything? I would not imagine the visible surface would be subject to any contact with it's motion gear.
[snapback]1140952[/snapback]​

OK... Here's what I think I saw on the J2 Autopsy DVD...

The doors are actually one that you see from the outside attached by a single pipe/bar/point to another that rides up n down the ramp. The bar has an end sticking out of the upper door like a large bolt. IF the cable it attached to this, and the other end is at a high enough angle, it would lift the door up before moving it out of the way. In reverse, the door would just fall back into position.

I've watched the J2"A" tape a bunch of times. Also the "T" thing is one side of the pulley bracket that holds the second pulley wheel. The cable is attached to the "A" goes thru the pulley wheel on the leg, and back to the "A" frames pulley wheel, and then to the main chain. (assuming the chain system is what was used)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back