3rd Season TNG Cobra Head Phaser FINISHED!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Mr. Nagata, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Mr. Nagata

Mr. Nagata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I finally finished this bad boy up. It's a hero Type II "Cobra Head" phaser from Star Trek: TNG. I wanted to make as accurate a version of the hero phaser as I could and I've never seen one made quite like this. This is a pretty rare cast of the third season body which was the only version of the cobra head to appear on screen that had electronics installed (to my knowledge anyway). It had to be hollowed out. It's not the HMS/Roddenberry kit, which is more based on the later season body.

The main difference is the emitter, which is larger on this version than on later season phasers (apparently it was shrunk down to fit better into the holsters). The features are also more rounded. It's painted with Krylon Bright Silver, not 7173, which was also consistent with the earlier phasers (again, from what I was told).

The electronics are from GMprops. This particular set used surface mount LEDs rather than traditional green rectangulars, so I made a faux panel made from the chopped-off tops of green LEDs and laid it over the top. Seems to work just fine. I also had to cut an access panel on the bottom, which is held on with magnets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a video of the features:

Star Trek: TNG Cobrahead Phaser - YouTube

DB537 and Unfated like this.
  2. -E-

-E- Active Member

Absolutely gorgeous. Great work!

3. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks really great, and yes, that's a rare one. I call those the "fatties" as they appear to be holding some water weight or something. Excellent build up, and great pics. Please keep them comin'!

4. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

That does look great, and I really like the idea of the magnet back.

Seems more TNG to not have to deal with screws.

5. C0mmand3rC0dy

C0mmand3rC0dy Sr Member

The piece looks fabulous, I love the nice smooth look the surface has,

absolutely gorgeous!

6. Mr. Nagata

Not water weight, Matt. Electronics. Because this style body was the ONLY true hero prop.

(Sorry, had to brag. It's taken me years to get a third season phaser that was hollow for electronics).

7. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It looks really sleek :cool. Beautiful :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

8. silverskyes402

silverskyes402 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is one of the sexiest things i've ever seen, seriously, incredible job!

9. Badmonkey

Badmonkey New Member

Brilliant! You have done a fantastic job...I want!

10. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well done!!

She's a keeper!!

11. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow very very nice!

12. StarTrek101

StarTrek101 Member

Really nice work.

13. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

I agree - Looks GREAT!

14. StarTrek101

StarTrek101 Member

I'm like seriously amazed. This is beautiful. How much would you want for it if you are interested in selling.

15. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Another great build, Ryan. The paint job came out great!

Sean

16. Ruddigger

Ruddigger Sr Member

Flawlessly done.

17. USS Endeav

USS Endeav Well-Known Member

That is, untouchable.

18. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

19. Mr. Nagata

Can anyone verify that that is indeed a screen-used piece? I spoke to one of the TNG guys at one of the SoCal prop parties and he couldn't remember for certain if they ever put lights in the later models. So I can't discount it. But I also can't remember a time when I ever saw the lights on the later models on screen. Again, I could be wrong.

20. AGxM

AGxM Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

21. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well the dolphins had them iirc

Hopefully Mike will chime in

22. Mr. Nagata

Yeah, I know those had lights for sure. I'm specifically talking about the later cobra head. There were two different sculpts. The first one that showed up in season 3 looked sort of bloated and had a larger emitter (the one I have here). It's also the only sculpt (I believe) that had lights in it that were seen on screen. The second sculpt was the one that's more commonly seen. It was a more angular sculpt and the emitter was shrunken down a bit to fit better in the holsters. These showed up (I believe) around season 5 and lasted the rest of the show, and were also seen on DS9 and Voyager. Most of these didn't have the power meter on them, and I don't think they were ever seen on screen with functional LED's being used.

The auction that Anakin Starkiller posted looks like the later sculpt, but has a functional power meter on it. But I have no idea if that was ever seen on screen, or if it was even production made. There's a lot of fakes out there, particularly in the Trek prop world.

23. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That 4th season hero phaser was a prototype and is written about here: https://www.yourprops.com/Type-2-Co...Trek-The-Next-Generation-TV-1987-YP60171.html

This is likely the phaser mentioned in post #9 in this thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=127756&p=1914245&viewfull=1#post1914245

I thought there was a thread here talking about it but now I can't find it. Maybe the owner will pop up and write a bit more about it :)

BTW, your 3rd season hero build looks wonderful, Ryan. I was just re-reading this thread last month and it inspired me to get going on converting one of Myron's kits into this style :)

24. BlasterGuy83

BlasterGuy83 New Member

This is amazing!!! If I could afford it, I'd ask ever-so-nicely for a commission.

25. Ruddigger

Ruddigger Sr Member

This thread is from 2011... I commented on it back then too, still rad.

26. Winchester1701

Winchester1701 New Member

great looking phaser!!

27. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love when grea old threads pop back up. Good projects never die.

Unfated likes this.
  28. Majapi69

Majapi69 New Member

Mr Nagata,

Love your work, really quite good.
    Wonder if you could help me out, I have been looking to make one for myself., only thing is I can't find a decent idea of the correct dimensions, overall length, height and width.

Will take a shot if I have to but do you remember where you got yours from or did you just wing it?

Hope you can help me out,

Matt.

29. MustangGTR1

MustangGTR1 Well-Known Member

I do know that from 4th to 7th some had the led bars and some did not