3phase Red Jammer help

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by 3phase, Jul 27, 2013.

1. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

OK I’m getting thru my build and was wondering if I can get some help. First I am missing a few parts but if I can not get them I am OK with it as I have had this kit for a while now and should have checked it when I first got it.

Also i am about to order the TEE strip so if any one in Australia has them for sale or needs anything from Plastruct let me know.

Also i would like to purchase the BF109 guns if someone has any and a R5 droid as i intend to leave the jammer dome section removable and have a droid section as well (if you know what i mean|)

The missing or incorrect parts are.

The blury part

[​IMG]

Next part i was given 2 the same but 1 of them should have more to it on the end.
    Here is my build

[​IMG]

here is what it should look like from the instructions

[​IMG]

the last one is the sealab part.

[​IMG]

but this is what i have

[​IMG]

2. dirtydave

dirtydave Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey 3phase,the part in your first picture is from Airfix 1/24 Hurricane.In the second picture,I also have 2 Kettenrad parts in my kit.One like your showing & one like in the instruction picture.As for the sealab part,I don't think that part was included in the kit.

Now show some build progress pictures.:lol

Dave

3. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I thought the Sealab parts were supposed to be included? I think it was a running change I put in, but it's been a while so I forget the particulars. The Airfix part was from my stash, since it too wasn't in the bag of parts I received, but I do know that Mike cast them up for the kit run...

4. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys but i dont think i will get the parts so might just go with what i got. Hopfully i can get the guns for not to much and i will try Rodmart for a R5.

5. cosmic_x

cosmic_x Well-Known Member

If you have any luck with the guns mate, please let me know I would also like to get those

6. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Sorry mate but im sure there from the Airfix or MPC 1/24 BF-109 and just looking on Ebay they are not cheap so i dont think i will be getting them any time soon.

7. cosmic_x

cosmic_x Well-Known Member

8. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Yes i seen those but i thought they are missing to much detail to use. They only seem to have the barrels and not the rest of the guns. I might be wrong tho.

9. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

I think this is them

[​IMG]

10. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Mate, I'll throw the guns in the Box for you. Least I can do. Talk tomorrow.

11. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Thanks mate

12. achilles266

achilles266 Active Member

Also a thing that myself and my dad noticed was that some parts in the instructions asking to be glued on were part of the main hull already so us thinking we were missing parts for some reason on ours had already been moulded on just something to keep in mind :)

13. moffeaton

Dang, really? Sometimes there are running changes to these projects....

14. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

I have both the Airfix and MPC....exact same kit. So go for the cheaper offering IMO. I've been studying different scale vintage Airfix and MPC and comparing them to the newer Airfix offerings. I usually cannot find any difference in quality of detail as long as they are not re-tooled. The Saturn V had some die damage that can be seen on the more recent (1990's) kits and has been the only kit that I have personally noticed softness as compared to the vintage kit.

Need pics?

Joe

15. achilles266

achilles266 Active Member

Yeah we figured it must have been a change for some reason or other, it was no big deal just some scratching heads and sighs of relief when we found it perfectly placed on the hull for us :) just thought I would mention it in case someone else was having issues finding some parts :)

16. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Yes i had that and i also had the part so its just a spare now. Will take a picture when i can

17. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

These pipes are so much fun ---- not

1412923328246.jpg

moffeaton likes this.
  18. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Ok back on this been a long time. Pic of trying to keep stuff down while the glue sets. I really need to get that wonder spray I have seen on Captain cardboards build video of his X-Wing where he glues a part then sprays it with something and sets the glue instantly. Kicker I think he called it.
    One of my girls came out and seen the red hair band and said there for school dad I'm telling mum.

[​IMG]

19. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Yeah, CA kicker is the stuff you need.

20. mofo77

mofo77 Well-Known Member

yeah, i use ca accelerator made by bob smith industries.as soon as you spray it on the ca (or supaglue) it crystalizes and hardens.
    produced in the u.s. but available from most good hobby shops here in oz.

21. moffeaton

Excited to see this back in action!

22. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

23. dirtydave

Looking bada$$.

Dave

24. Talkierg

Talkierg Well-Known Member

Great progress,Red Jammer looking good!

Don

25. moffeaton

So good!!

26. maxhebus

maxhebus Well-Known Member

Danm neat!

27. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Hi, what a great build, It's coming on beautifully...well done

28. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

Its great to see a few more of these being built!!! Really like the new gun array!!!
    To save you a huge amount of time and trouble, when it comes to the piping try to get hold of some plastruct (EMA ) plastic covered wire , or get some thin wire and thread that through hollow plastic tubing, which you will have to heat. The plastic covered wire is best and will bend easily to take the shapes.

29. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Mate huge amount of trouble has already been done. I know that the original was probably done like you say but I wanted to do them a bit different. I made them from welding wire as they were already similar to the colour I wanted and I also have added natural rust to them from them just being out in the weather. I have to admit I will never do them like this again as a lot of work as I have to cut them a mill or 2 longer then grind each end back so its a nice fit and the end is flat as the snips leave a point on the wire.

[​IMG]

30. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

Great work!!! Mine were a ****ing nightmare to do until I came across the plastruct wire and I had several attempts. Without that crib sheet from Jason I'd have probably given up. Your natural weathering looks better than mine!!!!

31. mvmagic

mvmagic Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is the Plastruct wire the butyrate covered one? Quickly browsing their site didnt find the dimensions spesified in the piping diagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

There were two sizes I think, 0 .8mm and 1.6mm and they were the butyrate covered ones. For the thicker more acutely angled tubes I ended up inserting them into the hollow plastic ones and then carefully heating them, that way they didn't collapse or melt and were easier to bend than having solid brass inside. I used a combination of solid brass, the butyrate covered wires, hollow plastic tubes and a lot of snapped and melted bits before getting them all done. The most fiddling and time consuming part of the build by far. I was told much later that you can get similar covered wire in various sizes in hobby shops for decorations and flower arrangements but as that was well after the event I never bothered checked up on that .

33. mvmagic

Yeah those are the sizes I found. I do have all sizes in both plastic and brass at hand, but still want to get all options covered before I get to the pipes. I think I will use all materials as well, depending on the spot.

34. Lazyeagle

Lazyeagle Active Member

Does anybody have that template for the pipework? I can't find it on Jason's original instructions.

Thanks.

35. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

I'm positive I have it somewhere. cant find it at work but might be on my home computer.

36. EvanW

EvanW Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Found the pipes for you Lazyeagle.

3phase. Would you be able to show a shot or 2 on how you mounted your guns? Just picked a set up and want to mount them on my Jammer.

View attachment pipes.pdf

Here are Jason's "Stripes" template also that he provided back in the day for any interested.

View attachment stripes.pdf

37. mvmagic

Cant see the attachements... Maybe its because I browsing on my phone. Got the pipes but the stripes would be great to have.

EDIT:Got them using safari

38. Lazyeagle

Lazyeagle Active Member

Thanks for the reply 3phase.

EvanW - appreciate the pipe template thanks for that.

Best.

39. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Ok what I have is not cannon as I can not see to well with the pic I have of the original guns. I presume they were glued strait on. Also I wanted to be able to swap out between the 2 guns so can have the model look as it is today. So I could swap the guns I found a (part on the left) that fitted almost perfectly over what is on the jammer roof. I modified it and put a cap on it (part to the right) just to finish the look of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flyscriber likes this.
  40. EvanW

EvanW Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks 3phase!

41. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Don't forget the little rockets to go under the 109 guns.

42. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Sorry mate but I only have this pic and another to small to make any thing out so not sure what rockets your talking about. Can you help ? L1110707.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  43. moffeaton

The new gun is weak sauce. The old one was awesome.

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 8.03.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 8.03.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 8.04.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 8.04.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 8.05.28 PM.png

44. dirtydave

Thanks for posting the pictures J.You da man.

Dave

45. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

46. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

The top left pic Jason posted has the two small rockets on the sides of the old machine guns.
    The are from the 1/72 air fix mosquito. I think.

47. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

OK I think I understand where you coming from. I have the smaller guns that are on the (original model now) but I prefer the BF-109 guns that were on it originally. I will still be able to swap out the 2 different types.

48. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Cool, I wasn't trying to be a wiseass, there were two different options and I just figured to point out that there was another option for you.

49. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Cool mate just didn't know what you meant. Still a lot to learn for me so I always appreciate any advice and help.

50. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Crap Jason I was just looking at this again and only now realize you have shown some real nice close up pics of the original gun. Suxs a bit haha as I only had the small pic with the allen key looking thing and I might have done something a bit more accurate but who cares at least I can swap them easy.