3D Scanning services?

Mostly Fantasy

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all-
Does anyone here offer or recommend a service bureau that offers 3D scanning? I'm looking into having some of my 1/6th scale sculpts scanned in order to have them enlarged to life size.
Thanks!

Honestly, not trying to be an ass. It's never a good idea to scale up. Ever notice how crappy scaled up photo-copies are? It's the same with sculpts. What looks good in small scale would look off or weird in full scale. Also, scanning and printing is expensive - it'd be a whole lot cheaper to sculpt the pieces in clay. You'd probably be able to afford to sculpt all your sculpts you want to upscale for the same price of scanning and printing just 1 upscaled model.

I looked into having them printed, but anything over 18 in. is astronomical- I'm going to have them carved on a 5 axis cnc, which is much more economical. The outfits I've seen with 5 axis carvers and talked to assure they can capture all the detail, and way faster than I could sculpt, which saves me the time of doing them twice.

Actually, I've found some really reasonable quotes for scanning- some are even willing to do a trade for molding/casting, but I know what you mean about the cost- quotes a year or so ago I had for a 4 in. sculpt ranged from $750 to $1600! Seems the only way to do it cost effectively is to own your own scanner....

Actually, I've found some really reasonable quotes for scanning- some are even willing to do a trade for molding/casting, but I know what you mean about the cost- quotes a year or so ago I had for a 4 in. sculpt ranged from $750 to $1600! Seems the only way to do it cost effectively is to own your own scanner....

I give NO RECOMMENDATIONS for this guy as all I know about him is he had an ad on the Chicago Craigslist a few months back... I never actually contacted him or inquired further but he was local to me so I took note of his offering just in case... His ad doesn't seem to be on Craigslist right now but I found another copy of his ad on Google...

3d Scanner Service Object Scanning $100 Round Lake Beach Ad 3165201

It might be worth contacting him if your parts are within his small scanning size...

I've used a photogrammetry system called Orten before, but was less than impressed with the results, but this one looks way more advanced- I'll have to give it a try- thanks!

123D catch looks interesting - but, notice how they never show you the underlying polygons. All the detail you can see is extracted from the original photos and texture mapped on to a lower resolution mesh.

Having said that, someone should try it on the turntable views on the StarWars Blu-rays - but don't expect manufacturable results.

If anyone gets it working, turn off texturemapping and smooth shading and that's what a printed model would look like.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back