3D Printing Iron Man MK46 Suit

jamesheneghan

Hi All,

This thread is my progress on my Iron Man MK 46 build. Some of you may know of TKCC71's AMAZING!!! build here on the RPF(which you can find here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=258016 ) which inspired me to post my progress on here :)

The files I use were created by MZX (Link to the MK46 in his shop https://www.onekura.com/product/mark-46-printable-suit/ )

PLEASE DONT ASK FOR THE FILES AS I WILL NOT GIVE THEM IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE THEM THEN PLEASE VISIT MAXCRFT's ETSY!!!!!!

The 3D printer that I am using is the Original Prusa i3 MK2 using Hatchbox ABS Filament.

So what I have done so far:

Firstly I use a software called makeHuman to create a model of my body then saved it as an obj. Then I used netfabb to repair the model. Next I repaired the Iron Man MK46 stl files using 3D Builder then I imported the makehuman body and the Iron Man MK46 files into Meshmixer and scaled the parts(except for the legs Ill do them at a later stage) to fit me as uniformly as possible:
3d model.png

So far I am working on the helmet and this is my second time printing it as when I was printing it at first I had a feeling that it was small but I kept printing then it was clear that it was small so I scaled it bigger and started printing it again.

Here are the pics of the prints so far nothing is glued together yet but it will be chemically welded using ABS slurry.

old jaw vs new jaw.jpg
New jaw vs old jaw.

small faceplate vs new faceplate.jpg
The old faceplate vs the new faceplate.

new face plate.jpg
The top part of the faceplate is slightly warped but I think thats an easy fix.

first print vs new print.jpg

cheeks in place.jpg
Cheeks added.

I hope you enjoy this thread and if you like you can also view my Facebook page where you can also see the Iron Man MK46 progress as well as my other cosplays https://www.facebook.com/jayscosplays/

Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread if you have any question feel free to ask and Ill answer you as best I can.

Last edited:
Using Makehuman and getting the everything fit up is huge. I'm starting a war machine build and am utilizing it for the first time. I did a mk43 suit printed and was constantly reprinting parts with messed up scaling.

Using Makehuman and getting the everything fit up is huge. I'm starting a war machine build and am utilizing it for the first time. I did a mk43 suit printed and was constantly reprinting parts with messed up scaling.

Ah nice yeah when I made my mk6 out of foam I had to redo multiple parts as the didnt fit correctly this program is very useful jus be careful when sizing the helmet the first one I created was too small and the nee one I am printing now is a bit of a tight squeeze but it will be fine for now so I would suggest scale the helmet to the size of the makehuman the make it like 10-20% bigger now there might be a head option in makehuman bit I couldnt find it.

I couldnt find a head option either. Initially I had the opposite problem, the default scale of my suit made me look like a bobblehead, so I ended up reprinting the whole thing at 90%.
I use meshmixer for everything, I wish the 'measure' took was more intuitive.

I couldnt find a head option either. Initially I had the opposite problem, the default scale of my suit made me look like a bobblehead, so I ended up reprinting the whole thing at 90%.
I use meshmixer for everything, I wish the 'measure' took was more intuitive.

Yeah Im using meshmixer such a good program to use yeah I hate when the suit looks like a bobble head my problem with my MK6 was that it was meant for 6ft and im only 5ft 8in so I had the knees buckling in on each other which looked terrible and measuring for pepakura is a pain makehuman is so easy. Are you going to post your war machine build?

Can you post a picture of the files including the legs? I just wanna see if they are worth buying.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Good luck James and look forward to seeing your build as well. Its definitely going to be quite the journey. My only regret was not printing the entire suit in PETG and then I also wish I had reinforced some of the parts with fiberglass on the inside. (I did fiberglass parts of it eventually). Learned lots over the last 8 months in building mine. Feel free to drop a line if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Tim

Good luck James and look forward to seeing your build as well. Its definitely going to be quite the journey. My only regret was not printing the entire suit in PETG and then I also wish I had reinforced some of the parts with fiberglass on the inside. (I did fiberglass parts of it eventually). Learned lots over the last 8 months in building mine. Feel free to drop a line if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Tim
Thanks Tim so far im learning a good lot never thought of reinforcing it as it was going to be chemically welded so i thought it was going to be fine also the helmet is still a little tight so i dont think ill be able to add a motorised faceplate but i can do the magnetic faceplate but thanks for checking my build out means alot no way my build will be as amazing as yours

Max's files are great. Very smooth models. And I find his fit to be more "wearer aware" than Do3d's more screen-accurate but ultimately idealised proportions.

Max's models are also definitely great value for money at around 1/4 the price of Do3d.

I'm currently building a mashup of the Do3d and Maxcraft Mk45 suit:

Screenshot (26).png

Max's files are great. Very smooth models. And I find his fit to be more "wearer aware" than Do3d's more screen-accurate but ultimately idealised proportions.

Max's models are also definitely great value for money at around 1/4 the price of Do3d.

I'm currently building a mashup of the Do3d and Maxcraft Mk45 suit:

View attachment 665414

That looks really cool I find that MZX files are a bit more accurate than DO3D for example the silver stripe on the shins on DO3D it goes across the full front of the shin where MZX only goes half way and from looking at the MK46 hot toys and taking close looks at the suit in the movie by pausing it :p it seems to me that MZX is more accurate in that aspect.

Will be purchasing from maxcraft after my finals

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I'm going to follow this as I might end up buying the same files.

Do I think they are worth it. It took me a couple of days to decide whether or not to buy them as I wanted as accurate as possible and to me I think they are slightly more accurate than DO3D files but that's my opinion and I could be completely wrong as I haven't seen the DO3D files in person.

Both files have their merits and their detractions.One thing you cannot overlook is the value for money. Do3d current price is $299 USD for the mk46 and $199 for the mk45. The MZX/Maxcraft files are way cheaper at $65 USD on Etsy.

For me, it comes down to wearability. The Do3d mk45 is just totally unwearable to the point where I feel slightly cheated. That is why I've opted to continue with a hybrid build using the upper torso of the MZX and the limbs of the Do3d.

Both files have their merits and their detractions.One thing you cannot overlook is the value for money. Do3d current price is $299 USD for the mk46 and $199 for the mk45. The MZX/Maxcraft files are way cheaper at $65 USD on Etsy.

For me, it comes down to wearability. The Do3d mk45 is just totally unwearable to the point where I feel slightly cheated. That is why I've opted to continue with a hybrid build using the upper torso of the MZX and the limbs of the Do3d.

Well it looks amazing and I cant wait to see it will you be posting the build on RPF?

@jamesheneghan I was contemplating starting my own build thread but was hesitant as Leylander had already progressed his so far. If I can get around to uploading all my progress photos I'll reconsider. Meanwhile I'm really enjoying the existing builds and will miss the updates from TKCC71 now he is all but done.

Last edited by a moderator:
@jamesheneghan I was contemplating starting my own build thread but was hesitant as Leylander had already progressed his so far. If I can get around to uploading all my progress photos I'll reconsider. Meanwhile I'm really enjoying the existing builds and will miss the updates from TKCC71 now he is all but done.
Ah you should anyways whats the harm sure you never know there might be ways that you do certain pieces that people may prefer or maybe halfway through the build you put your own spin on it that people would be interested in like i was also hesitant about starting this as others are doing this build but said why not i might find solutions to problems that no one has done.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back