3d Printing a Mark VI Iron Man

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Samohtep, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Hi Guys,

So in talking with the guys that run the rapid prototyping department at my company, I am going to be able to run off pieces of my Iron Man suit when they have some downtime or extra space in a print run.

I'm working from robo's files, which I pulled into Maya and made some revisions to. I've printed the helmet as a test of the my edits. I printed the whole helmet the first time around, but there were some problems when they put it in the oven to bake. So I took the file back, bulked it up a bit and gave it another go and the pieces came out great.

Here's a few renders of the rebuild file and a few shots of the helmet.

2. Graphic Jordan

Graphic Jordan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome. Can't wait to see more! Subscribed.

3. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

The body hasn't yet been correctly scaled, I'm going to be getting some measurements taken, build a quick dummy of myself and then scale it around me to fit as best I can without getting things too out of whack

4. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

5. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Thanks for that, you are definitely a lot more hardcore than me about this, so I'll work in any crits you have. To be entirely honest, I've got so many other projects going, I can't afford to spend the time to make it movie perfect.

I took the pics just after it had been pulled out of the printer so I haven't yet done any work to them. I left the models all hard edged so I could sand the edges down myself.

6. G33k

G33k Member

I hate you a little bit right now... that is awesome, and closer to having a Jarvis-Built armor than any of the rest of us wil ever get! Nice stuff!

7. Badhawk

Badhawk New Member

Very nice, i love it!! Question; what did you use for 3d printing? Thanks

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. MightyJohn

MightyJohn Active Member

Love it! Can't wait to see more!

9. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

give a fist bump to that machine for me :)

Graphic Jordan likes this.
  10. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Machine or file?

The machine is a ZCorp Z510. Kinda the low end of the machines in their shop.

I cut up the model into manageable pieces, pile as many of those pieces into a 14x10x8 inch box and export that as an stl and send that over to them.

11. Kimosabe

Kimosabe New Member

Very cool!

I look forward to seeing more.

I believe this is how they made all the armors in Iron Man 2. Using 3D printers.

12. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just a reminder, if you are using someone else´s files you will have to get his permission to use them for creating a potential run of items. Otherwise it will be seen as "digital recasting".

Michael
    RPF staff

13. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Potential run as in producing these for sale? That definitely will not happen, I have no desire to get more involved in this than just to post a few pictures as I go and ask some questions if I hit a roadblock. Also, my access to the 3D printing is predicated solely on the mood of the two guys that have access and training on the machines and whether I am annoying them with my requests.

That said, I will send the creator a message with my intent. Thanks for the notice.

14. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Apologies for the lack of update, there wasn't much to show while chopped up the 3d file and organized it into bin sized chunks. The rest of the suit is off to the guys doing the printing. Hopefully they get some downtime to do a few of my runs. The entire suit broke down into 15 full runs of the machine, so it'll be a while before they finish.

In the meantime, I've started working on the helmet over the weekend, progress will be slow as I'm not at the workshop everyday. I got the two halves of the helmet epoxied together without a problem, there was a bit of distortion in the mask, but I've corrected most of it. My next step is to attach the face mask and the jaw.

I'm going to hinge the mask like this one:
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/iron-man-helmet-hinged-tracks-123338/

But I have to connect the jaw as a separate piece, since putting the helmet on is a snug fit with my dumbo ears. I'm going to use 1-2 center release buckles(because of their low profile) on either side to snap the jaw into place.
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping to start on that tonight.

15. HorrorFan

HorrorFan New Member

I wish I had access to cool machinery.

16. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Haha, I wish I had physical access to the fancy machinery, then I could have some bit of control over when it was finished.

Just a quick update, I ended up finding the center release buckles I was looking for at Joann Fabrics. I got about 2 hours last night to work on it and temporarily attached the jaw buckles with gorilla glue (To fill in the gaps in the uneven surface)
    I'm letting it harden overnight and I thinking I'm going to run and check on them during lunch today.

17. Metalfire

Metalfire New Member

3D printed Ironman suits.... Now I've "seen" everything! Haha this is awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing this done! Good luck on the build!

18. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Thanks!

I got over to take a look and they set up well, I put a thin layer of fiberglass over the top to reinfornce them.

Next, I'll start working on the mask hinges.

19. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Another quick update, I have the mask hinges tentatively in place. Still some tweaking of the swing arms to keep them opening even. I'm going to secure the helmet end of the hinge before working ours the mask side.

20. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Besides the fact that the hinges are sharp and currently pressing into my temples...it's slowly coming along...need to really tighten things up.

Any ideas on how to keep the mask up when open?

21. ultron

ultron Active Member

Do you pay for consumables?

I have access to a 3D printer here on campus, but at 40 cents/cm^3, it's pretty expensive. A 1kg helmet would cost 300 dollars to print, assuming it was done right the first time.

22. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

For the 3D printing work, I so far have not had to pay anything. When I originally sent the model over to that dept and explained what I was looking to do, I had asked for an estimate, and was told to pass the files along to the co-op working with them.
    When I insisted that I really wanted to pay and skip any problems that might come up in future, the exact quote was, "from the accounting people, it's not worth it to try to charge."
    I think that because the co-op is doing the work, and it's running during off hours, it's easier to chalk the prints up to training.

23. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Just talked to one of the guys doing the work printing the other pieces and it looks like I'm on hold for a bit, big project coming down to them. In the meantime, I'll work out the kinks in my process and cleanup the helmet, I have to pad it a bit for a correct seat, but I need the collar and shoulders to see how high it should sit

24. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To have the faceplate stay up when open, you can use magnets. Place one inside the crown where you want it to sit, and a corresponding magnet in the faceplate that lines up with the other

25. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Cool, so I was on the right path! My thought had been to extend a "tooth" of some sort into the grooves in the top of the helmet, and place small Rare Earth magnets at the end of the groove and the corresponding spot on the tooth. Now to find something that will play the roll of the tooth.

26. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

I've been experimenting with the magnets and the hinge/magnet system doesn't seem strong enough. I broke the side of the mask earlier today, so after repairing it I think I need to revisit the hinges. I found this system that someone else used for theirs. Any ideas of what this kind of slider is called, or where I might find something like it?

27. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It is a cabinet hinge.You can find them at Lowes/Home Depot or any cabinet store. I think they are pretty cheap. I was looking at using these myself but I have not got around to doing it. Good Luck!

28. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Thanks! I found it right away, for future prosperity, Lowe's calls them friction lid supports. I'll see about installing them tomorrow night

29. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Samohtep - If you wouldn't mind, I'd definitely like to see some pictures of you working with/installing that hinge. I'm not anywhere near worrying about that stuff on my build, but I'm always thinking about future road blocks. Thanks!

30. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

31. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Msleeper- will do, hope to plan it out tomorrow night and try a test fit on Tuesday

Finhead- I don't know if I posted pictures of it, but I had started off imitating your system. But it was a bit to rough and put a lot of stress on the mask. Since the helmet wasn't designed with it in mind, the hinges pushed too much outward and deformed, but that's just my hasty construction. I wish I had more direct access to the printer so I could try printing the hinges.

32. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Now that I'm all itchy from fiberglass dust, I thought I'd post some of this evening's work. I took out the posts that I had fiberglass'd down as hinges for the 1st set I tried, and then quickly sanded down the area to get rid of the sharp bits of fiberglass.

I then taped the mask on, and just sort of eyeballed the placement of the hinges and hot glued them in place(making sure that the right and left hinges were on the correct sides). I got lucky on the first try and got them in the right position so that the mask sits nicely on top of the helmet. I just realized I didn't take a picture with the mask up and open....

Anyway, there is a slight problem. I can't get my head through the opening with both hinges attached. If I unscrew one side, I can slide my head and my big ears in, then tediously keep all of the pieces together and screw it back in. Getting the tension right on the slider so it will not fall down when open is tough when I have to disassemble it everytime. I think I will work some magnets into the top to coerce the mask to stay up.

Oh yeah, and I have to unscrew both sides to take it off of my head. Looks like I'll need a handler whenever I go somewhere with this.

33. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Is there a thread which talks about harnesses/strapping to hold the suit together? I have a good idea of what I'm going to do with the torso, but I'm less sure of the arms and legs.

34. DragginBowtie

DragginBowtie New Member

Using belt clips and webbing works great. You can buy them off ebay in bulk and get a roll of webbing to go with it. Just cut it up and you're good to go. Check out STEALTH's youtube tutorial of how he did it below.

TUTORIAL - "SUIT UP!" How to Connect Foam Armor Costume Parts - YouTube

35. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Thanks! That's how I was sort of planning to do it, it's good to have that sort of knowledge to back me up. I think that the weight of the printed pieces may become an issue as I wear it, so I think I might be better off if I create a harness for the upper torso. My thought is to have like backpack shoulder straps, or a 5point harness connected to the back piece, then have the front piece clip on like he showed. That way the weight will be better distributed.

36. DragginBowtie

DragginBowtie New Member

That will work perfect also. Having the harness for the main torso pieces and then connecting the rest to those should work just fine. That's what I'm planning for mine as well.

37. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Cool, also I've seen talk about...let's call it "easy access for relief", building in a flap or hinge for the codpiece, but I don't think I've seen it in practice.

I'm sorry if my questions are often discussed, I usually just update this from my phone so I don't explore the rest of the forums, and I surprisingly didn't start off by lurking around.

38. DragginBowtie

DragginBowtie New Member

I think that's a great idea...I was trying to figure that out myself. I was throwing around the idea of making the Cod piece just an easy 2 piece part that could be removed but i think the "flap" idea might make a lil more sense and be quite a bit easier to utilize. good call.

39. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Did a bunch of work with the hinges yesterday. I found a way to reposition them which allows to to slip my head in and out below them. Also started padding to get the correct fit, it's a lot more comfortable with the padding in. I guess my next step is getting ahold of some EL tape and doing the eyes.

40. Leander

Leander Active Member

this looks great, wish I could affort to 3D print it at my Uni..

41. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Thanks, I'm dying to get my hands on the rest of the suit.

I'm looking for a source for the EL sheet material, but most of the links take me to manufacturer sites or it's sold out, any idea if any specialty stores carry it? While impossible for everything, I try to buy as I can locally. If not, is there a reliable source for the sheet material that I can cut to shape?

42. DragginBowtie

DragginBowtie New Member

eBay is always a goo source of hard to come by things. It isn't local but it may be the easiest source.

43. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

So looking up the EL material on eBay and searching around the forum, I'm wondering which do I need to get, EL Panel or EL Tape? I know the panel is a larger sheet that can be cut to shape/size. Are the tape strips the same? I'm specifically talking about the Glowhut stuff, that I see all over eBay.

44. darkside501st

darkside501st Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

45. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Cool, thanks! I had seen the first one, but not the second.

46. Samohtep

Samohtep Member

Spent the evening building the chest reactor, realized that I've never soldered anything before. I know I need to add resistors, but I'm not sure where, how many, etc. Does anyone know of any tips/tricks?

47. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Google "led calculator"

It will tell you what type of resistor, how many, and give a diagram on how to set the circuit up. Watch a couple videos on YouTube as well

48. darkside501st

Yeah, it is pretty easy stuff once you start looking at it.

49. darkside501st

oops sorry for the double post.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  50. DragginBowtie

DragginBowtie New Member

Hmm, never realized it was that easy. This is definitely useful info for my build. Thanks for the advice Kevin.