3D printing a 1:1 Terminator T-800 endoskeleton

clonesix

Master Member
My old thread on this subject has disappeared, so I thought I would start a new one.

I have always wanted a T-800 endoskeleton sitting in my front room. I just want him to sit it the chair smoking a cigar. Is that too much to ask?

Last year I bought a 3D printer with the intent to that very thing. I want to print the skeleton so that I can use it as a walk around puppet. I cannot justify purchasing a Sideshow endo for $6K, as it is cast resin and very heavy. it would be immovable and take up a lot of real estate if I bought one.

Thus far, I have been printing at half scale to test the files. a recent file that I bought on cgtrader.com has added to the collection. I am in the midst of printing out some 1:1 pieces right now, but here is my 1:2 test prints:

Attachments

• 2018.03.01.legs.JPG
    2018.03.01.legs.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 5,108
  • 2018.12.02.01.jpg
    2018.12.02.01.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,880
  • 2018.12.02.03.jpg
    2018.12.02.03.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,943
  • 2108.12.10.02.jpg
    2108.12.10.02.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,764
  • 47577371_510636596111863_7201776306957058048_n.jpg
    47577371_510636596111863_7201776306957058048_n.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 1,541
Last edited:
Very cool! I love your idea. What type of filament are you printing with (pla, abs, petg, etc)? How do you plan to get that shiny finish?

I am printing it in PLA, but this is a 1;2 test print to check my files and how well they print. For the final 1:1, I might send the files to a commercial shop to have them made in a better material.

I am not interested in shiny, or chrome. I have never felt that he should have been chromed (especially after having all the flesh burned off). I would rather give him a dull grey look with lots of shading and weathering.

Actually, for 1:1 you don't really need better quality. The larger you print, the easier it is with PLA to get nice details. You just need to consider the best orientation for the print so you get the best outer surface result.

I printed a near 1:1 symmetrical Vader face mask made from my 3D scans, and if I had better filler material you'd hardly see any of the layer lines and the details are nice and sharp. If you have a printer that can print in 0.05mm layer height you'd get about the same result as me - I just forgot to pay attention enough to orientation and have a few areas that needs more work than others.

3Days of printing later, and I have the top of the skull. I my only reaction is WOW. The utter sharp detail and the subtle compound curves make this a really nice skull. In addition, there is room for batteries, servos or eye mechanics inside an internal compartment. Thus far, I am impressed with how well this printed.

The few things I will change:
1) The printed teeth with acrylic teeth.
2) I think the bite needs to be narrower, and will grind and putty.

I need to learn how to slice up the models for printing. I wont be able to get the chest or back plate from my build platform. I also have the model for the rest of the arm components. They are drawn as one piece, and I need to split them for printing.

Attachments

• IMG_3148.JPG
    IMG_3148.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,702
  • IMG_3150.JPG
    IMG_3150.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,078
  • IMG_3154.JPG
    IMG_3154.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,105
  • IMG_3151.JPG
    IMG_3151.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,137
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,138
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,139
I printed a set of biceps.. They print as one piece, and as such, The inside looks a little ratty.

Here is a question for the experts: Look at the inside brace that holds the inside disc. I don't think that is the right angle for that. Thoughts?

Attachments

• arm022.jpg
    arm022.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 638
Hmmm humerus, technically, or humeri for the pair. I have nothing to add other than some anatomical pedantry. I love the idea of this project tho.

I have gone thru and printed the 1:2 scale and things fit together pretty well. I have started printing 1:1 and the printing really goes slowly. The chest alone took several days. It might be a while before see much progress on that one.

I looked into sending files to an online printer like shapeways, in hopes of getting some of the larger pieces printed in one piece. As it turns out, 300 mm is a common limit. Therefore, I might as well print them myself, an my slow machine.

So stay tuned, 2019 is gonna be killer!

Attachments

• Terminat001.jpg
    Terminat001.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 952
Lookin' sweet! I've been watching this thread, excited to see how things turn out.
For something on such a large (and I guess expensive(?)) scale, I think you'd be better printing it all out at home anyway, so that way you can monitor the progress and don't have to worry about how well it'll turn out if someone else prints it.

Bought the bust now, from a very friendly artist! Will make some modifications to the model and then propably join in to the printing fun! Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Have you spotted any inaccuracies on the skull yet? He seems to have gotten the details pretty much alright, its more in the subtle general shapes of the skull, where I see some need for improvement.

Bought the bust now, from a very friendly artist! Will make some modifications to the model and then propably join in to the printing fun! Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Have you spotted any inaccuracies on the skull yet? He seems to have gotten the details pretty much alright, its more in the subtle general shapes of the skull, where I see some need for improvement.

The skull seems to be modeled on a human skull. It looks nice, but as I compare it to my (unknown maker) endoskull, The nose cavity and the bite seem a little bit wide, but that is minor. I like the fact that the eye balls print separately, as do the sides to the skull. They are very detailed and the interior of the skull has enough room for a battery box and an eye movement mechanism.

On all the prints, the panel lines are all very light, and need to be scribed for more clarity. These are minor issues with, what I believe is, an otherwise beautiful model.

My overall opinion thus far: This is infinitely better than the paper or PVC versions that I tried to build!

I am just getting to all the printing involved. it is slow going and I had to slice both the chest and back into 3 pieces to get it all.

The back plate needed to be printed an 3 pieces. Here is an image of two pieces printed with different orientation. First, is printed horizontal, and the texture is rough and uneven. Second is printed vertically and there is a cleaner surface.

All the panel lines are in the model, but they are not deep enough and I will have to scribe them by hand to get them to stand out after all the sanding that I am going to have to do.

I have a lot of printing left to do, but thus far, things are looking promising. This has been the dream since 1984, that I would have my own 1:1 Endoskeleton that wouldn't just stand as a statue, but could go for rides in the car with me (wearing a seatbelt, of course) I have gone thru numerous attempts at an endo, from foam core, to PVC, and each time I try, something practical makes it out of my reach. Well, now I feel it is within my reach with 3D printing.

and just so you know, I make an evil laugh (more of a giggle) each time a piece comes off the printer, and I visualize my future robot army.

Attachments

• 20191.11r.jpg
    20191.11r.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_3272.JPG
    IMG_3272.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 766

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back