3D Printed Scout Helmet

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by W Crow, Feb 10, 2019 at 8:45 PM.

1. W Crow

W Crow New Member

Hi, all I've been working on building a 3d printed scout trooper helmet!
    630832-3a83a78470b0c651101058b91cfb06ce.jpg
    I thought id make a thread documenting my build.

It took 22 hours and 52 minutes to print the front face mask, it was printed in two parts and glued together with CA glue. The visor has already been printed, but wont be attached until the face mask is done being sanded and primed.
    My build is using the 3d model from the awesome modeler Jesus Salmeron.
    3D print model WEARABLE FULL SIZE SCOUT TROOPER HELMET 3

Attached Files:

mugatu likes this.
  2. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Great helmet. I printed one out myself.
    But this should be posted in the Star Wars Costumes and Props forum.

TazMan2000

3. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Looking great. What printer did you use?

4. W Crow

W Crow New Member

I'm using an Anycubic I3 Mega. It's a reasonably sized printer but not big enough to print the full mask as one part.

5. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

I noticed that your print has some "striping" issues. I've never encountered that myself, but you may want to investigate it to see if something can be done about it.

TazMan2000

W Crow likes this.
  6. W Crow

W Crow New Member

I was in a bit of a hurry and printed it at 0.2 mm layer height and 65 mm/s print speed. I could have printed it at 0.1 or 0.15 but while I'm at school I only have access to my printer when i'm at home on the week ends.
    The mask has smoothed out with sanding. I plan on getting some body filler primer this week to further smooth it out.

Edit: I consistently have this problem with big prints. I'm not sure if its just an increased layer height causing the problem or if its a combination of things like layer print time, wall thickness, print speed which in cura doesn't seem to change much :( , or any other random slicer setting or quirk of my printer.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 10:03 PM
    TazMan2000 likes this.
  7. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

I printed mine out at the same layer height and segmented the face part at exactly where you did. I think it our have taken too long at 0.1mm, plus I would have still had to do sanding and filling and I would have still ended up with the same quality afterward.
    By default my slicer software (CURA) in draft mode prints 2 layer wall thickness, but I increased it to 3 layers due to sanding and slightly more strength.

TazMan2000

W Crow likes this.