3D printed Robocop Suit V.2020 Build- OCP Visit - Project Complete

Hi, I'm currently doing the same build as you, you are quite further ahead and its looking amazing. How are you holding the parts together when they are on your body? For example the chin guard, back of the helmet and neck pieces. This also goes for the front and back shin pieces. As these need to be detachable to get them on and off, are you using Velcro or something else?

Hi, I'm currently doing the same build as you, you are quite further ahead and its looking amazing. How are you holding the parts together when they are on your body? For example the chin guard, back of the helmet and neck pieces. This also goes for the front and back shin pieces. As these need to be detachable to get them on and off, are you using Velcro or something else?
Thanks. On my previous Do3d suit I used velcro to attach and detach everything associated with the helmet. I also plan to implement the concept with this suit once all the clean up is done. Velcro for the shins and helmet...everything else I used a button and webbing system but I might manipulate it a little different this time but not sure.

This looks excellent! I am getting a 3d printer and this is my holy grail to print. Can I just ask if the whole mid section is also printed or is it cast in some sort of rubber? How does it fit together? Thanks

This looks excellent! I am getting a 3d printer and this is my holy grail to print. Can I just ask if the whole mid section is also printed or is it cast in some sort of rubber? How does it fit together? Thanks
Thanks Dave. The midsection at this point is completely 3D printed. I recently fiberglassed the midsection in prep work to molding it in silicone and then I'm going to cast it in silicone. You could check out my progress here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ouqzUS1ffDS1nbpw6VK_Q

I need to get some photos posted on here of my progress so far. I live in Texas and since were finally fully open I'm really hoping to sport it at a Comic Con here this year.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. The midsection at this point is completely 3D printed. I recently fiberglassed the midsection in prep work to molding it in silicone and then I'm going to cast it in silicone. You could check out my progress here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ouqzUS1ffDS1nbpw6VK_Q

I need to get some photos posted on here of my progress so far. I live in Texas and since were finally fully open I'm really hoping to sport it at a Comic Con here this year.
I've found your YouTube channel and have caught up. Just waiting for the next one. [emoji6]

Looks amazing, so much better than the Do3D.

How are the legs on this? especially the knee joints, as they needed quite the rebuild to be wearable.

I've started modelling parts that were too inaccurate in 3d, but seeing this, I'm going to shell out for this model as well.
Unfortunately, I've already printed at least one of everything needed in the old suit, but I think this would seriously cut down on rebuild time in order to make it actually wearable!

Thanks for both your old build and this one. You inspired me to make my own a few years back! =)

(Here's a render of the biceps piece I modelled, btw)
1618002801784.png

Those biceps look great man. Yeah I completely understand your pain. The Do3D suit although great at the time was just far too much work to get half decent and more accurate especially the knee joints like you said which I completely cut up and re-sculpted. I spent more time modifying parts and rebuilding then anything else. The parts on this new suit are far superior and I really haven't had to modify anything at this point. There are a few small tidbits I'm going to rework but they are really nothing in comparison.

I highly recommend these files. Asen the creator put a lot of love and attention into this suit and is by far the best and most accurate suit we will probably have for a long time. I also owned a Bruce Hansing suit some years back and even though it's an antiquity among Robocop fans and prop collectors that suit doesn't even hold a candle to this suit. The only difference is of course we actually have to put quite a bit of time in 3D printing and labor into making the this suit a reality. It's well worth it though.

Those biceps look great man. Yeah I completely understand your pain. The Do3D suit although great at the time was just far too much work to get half decent and more accurate especially the knee joints like you said which I completely cut up and re-sculpted. I spent more time modifying parts and rebuilding then anything else. The parts on this new suit are far superior and I really haven't had to modify anything at this point. There are a few small tidbits I'm going to rework but they are really nothing in comparison.

I highly recommend these files. Asen the creator put a lot of love and attention into this suit and is by far the best and most accurate suit we will probably have for a long time. I also owned a Bruce Hansing suit some years back and even though it's an antiquity among Robocop fans and prop collectors that suit doesn't even hold a candle to this suit. The only difference is of course we actually have to put quite a bit of time in 3D printing and labor into making the this suit a reality. It's well worth it though.
Thanks, I've purchased them as well now.
I'm just happy that I've only printed everything on the Do3d suit (and my biceps and a few other parts I modelled), and only done paint job on the helmet and chest and back... and feet.

It makes the idea of reprinting and remaking a lot easier.

Who knows, Maybe I'll make a statue out of the old parts =p

Looking forward to see how you will mold the torso in silicone.
I will most likely do a foam build of the torso to get moveability. That was the plan for some time at least =p

Thanks for posting these, I've read through your original dozens of times when going over the files and seeing how you solved some things, it's a great help!

There should be printing materials that print flexible. There are several videos on youtube showing how it works.
There is.

I've printed part of the gloves on the old suit in Ninjaflex, and have experimented with smoothing the print lines with Plasti-Dip, which seems to give pretty decent results.

But I'm not going to hijack Chris thread here ;)

There should be printing materials that print flexible. There are several videos on youtube showing how it works.

Yeah there are quite a few flexible materials but the midsection is huge and I worry the strength of the flexible material be it ninjaflex or tpu might not hold up to wearing. I worry about tears and cracks not that it would happen but it would be a lot of wasted time printing and assembling for nothing if it did happen.

It's also incredibly difficult to print such large pieces in flexible material. I haven't done tons of research on it but most videos I've seen people are printing really small pieces in ninjaflex or tpu. I never seen any large pieces printed with flex material. The midsection is about 30 percent of the suit...very large piece.

It might be worth the risk and I might have to look into it a little more. No worries on hijacking threads I'm always open to learning new tricks and hearing suggestions.

Yeah there are quite a few flexible materials but the midsection is huge and I worry the strength of the flexible material be it ninjaflex or tpu might not hold up to wearing. I worry about tears and cracks not that it would happen but it would be a lot of wasted time printing and assembling for nothing if it did happen.

It's also incredibly difficult to print such large pieces in flexible material. I haven't done tons of research on it but most videos I've seen people are printing really small pieces in ninjaflex or tpu. I never seen any large pieces printed with flex material. The midsection is about 30 percent of the suit...very large piece.

It might be worth the risk and I might have to look into it a little more. No worries on hijacking threads I'm always open to learning new tricks and hearing suggestions.
Yes, I'm with you on that tricky/particular piece/medium on that armor. I believe (my two cents) that that section was replaced often during principal photography. The wear and tear in a flex material is a worry for sure...unless the industry has come up with better/stronger medium since then.

Hence my decision to build the midsection out of foam on an lycra undersuit.

The mid section is fairly simple, and with strips of EVA foam, glued to the lycra undersuit and coated with plastidip certainly has the right look, and the flexibility. I've done some early tests with this. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics, because I dismantled it to start on the proper suit.

I use contact cement to adhere the foam to the lycra. Fits very well.
I'm finalizing another proton pack tomorrow and hope to get back to robo during the weekend.

Another thought was to buy a 3mm shorty wet suit and see if I can strip the fabric off the neoprene, then back to gluing EVA foam.
Having the midsection flexible is key to move in the suit.

The ninjaflex/tpu and plastidip experiments I mentioned above was mostly for the hand section of the gauntlets. It looks like I'll be printing the palm section out of TPU, glue to a pair of fabric work gloves that are rubber treated on the insides. Fingers are either 3d printed or built from foam. I've tried TPU, PLA and resin for the fingers. Might even build them out of foam. The underarm portion will be a separate piece, and all will be coated in plasti-dip, for ability to move, grip and the right look =)

I like where you`re going with the mid-section of that suit askernas. EVA foam could be the ticket...plasti-dip should be sprayed with high-gloss finish after that...Eager to see your results ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back