3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build- COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by pchrisbosh1, Sep 1, 2016.

1. pchrisbosh1

pchrisbosh1 Active Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post so I guess I should kind of introduce myself before getting into the meat. My name is Christopher and over the years I've primarily been into building Ghostbusters props over on GBFans.com.
    [​IMG]
    After building a few proton packs and getting somewhat decent at it, I thought I would take on the venture of finally being able to put together a moderately decent Robocop suit. I bought a Hansing suit years ago and was pretty disappointed with it in terms of quality and ended up selling it. Since it's probably the closest thing out there in terms of a Robocop suit that somewhat looks the part I did regret selling it and thought I would probably never be able to own one again. Those suits have become more scarce and scarce throughout the years and when someone does pop up with one they want to sell it near 5 grand.

With that aside DO3D has finally taken on the challenge of doing a classic Robocop suit.
    [​IMG]
    I recently got their 3D files and decided to take on the adventure of printing it and putting it together. The suit is not completely movie accurate but they did do a great job for a first attempt and when done will look pretty close to the real deal. It's going to be a fantastic base to work with and add in the details I desire. I'm confident in the end it will be a great looking Robocop suit.

I've been kind of lurking watching TKCC71's Mark 46 Iron Man build http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=258016 with DO3D files and that has been a huge inspiration on taking on this endeavor. He's done an amazing job and I can't believe how amazing that suit is coming out. So I have to give thanks because I probably would not have attempted this if I hadn't seen his build.

A lot of the pieces are going to have to be sliced to make them printable but Netfabb does a great and easy job in that area so it shouldn't be a problem. I don't plan on selling these or making molds at this point. I will probably just fiberglass the pieces I clean up, print and put together. It's going to be an adventure in itself just trying to figure out how to get these pieces placed on the print bed the proper way so they will print out half way decent.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to be printing with Simplify3D with PLA probably around .1700mm layer height. Here's a sneak peak of a chest piece done in ABS.
    [​IMG]
    This is was just a test piece to see the quality of the files. So far so good, I think it came out great. I'll be doing the rest of the suit in PLA because it's far less finnicky and easier to print with. This is probably going to be a long project but I'll try to update regularly on my progress.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Zinger, GalvMo, knnyjay and 4 others like this.
  2. sleepless

sleepless Well-Known Member

Re: 3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build

Any idea what it will cost to print the whole suit?

3. HighlanderFX

HighlanderFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm impressed it printed your test piece's overhang without need for support so cleanly!

4. GRINCH

GRINCH Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"if" you decide to make RoboCop a run, please add me to the list. This costume is my holy grail:)

Snikt and MattgomeryBurns like this.
  5. pchrisbosh1

I estimate based on TKCC71's ironman build so far he's used around 8-10 rolls just on the upper half of the body so with all the trial and error it's probably going to be around 20 rolls give or take. At the price I get my filament it looks to be around $300.00 or more just on filament. That doesn't include paint, sandpaper, filler, primer, and various other materials that will be needed. Considering how much these suits have sold over the years I would say that's a pretty reasonable amount of funds if you already own a printer. But it will definitely take some talent and patience cleaning these pieces up and getting them all together. This isn't going to be a walk in the park that's for sure.

6. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

oh nice. Hope it turns out good.

xyster101 likes this.
  7. GF

GF Sr Member

Cant wait to see the results, I would love a helmet to add to my collection.

Gerardo

8. Manukaman

Manukaman Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

did you have to buy the files? looks great so far?

9. pchrisbosh1

Yes you must purchase the files directly from DO3D

Thanks for the comments guys!

Here is picture of a printed foot before clean up. This is another test piece printed with cheap filament. I'll be reprinting with better quality filament when it comes in. I think is came out pretty good, the details are crisp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the foot re-worked a tid bit. I was really testing the waters with this piece, just trying to figure out what method I'm going to use to get the parts somewhat smooth and how well I could work with the PLA to fix slight inaccuracies. I wasn't going for perfection since I'm going to reprint it but with the amount of work I put into the piece, it still came out pretty good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  10. Manukaman

Manukaman Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks great, can you PM me what you had to pay for the files please. May have to do this. Im also hoping to mold a very accurate helmet soon that may save you some work.

11. mattycsi

mattycsi Sr Member

Subscribing to this. That foot looks awesome, you should have an excellent suit on your hands if all the parts come up like that.

Manukaman, you got any pics of the helmet?

12. HighlanderFX

What method did you end up using to smooth things out?

13. pchrisbosh1

I start with primer filler, and then use Bondo glazing spot putty for the rough spots, then sand with 150 and 220 to start smoothing it out and finish with 320. You just keep repeating this process until you have your desired finish. I also use a sculpting epoxy putty to fill in large gaps and holes then smooth that out with sandpaper.

Here's a finished foot, just went ahead and painted it for fun.
    35547863592_288204341e_z.jpg
    35716705775_d3590fc681_z.jpg
    35716690255_6ae9acdaca_z.jpg
    35585696371_91fd01ffd8_z.jpg

ABE, n0regret5, knnyjay and 3 others like this.
  14. HighlanderFX

Cool, that's pretty much what I've been doing to my printed parts but I guess I need to repeat the process more. Yours turned out great!

15. Sith Lord

Sith Lord Active Member

Any more progress?

Will this be a wearable costume? Can a foot actually fit in that printed foot. Opening looks small.

16. pchrisbosh1

I'm still going at it. Here is the chest about 65% done. I still want to do some modifications and add some things to make it a bit more accurate.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Started to print the helmet and put it together, still needs quite a bit of clean up but here is the starting phase. I think the font printed out very good, I was a little worried it wasn't going to print good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also started printing the back piece which is almost done, I'm kind of all over the place right now but I do have a method to my madness. All comments welcome.

frasic, knnyjay, George and 4 others like this.
  17. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice and impressive. There aren't enough RoboCop suits on the board, that's for sure ;)

MattgomeryBurns likes this.
  18. doppelganger

doppelganger Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very very nice. Let me know when you start offering it as a kit.....lol.

19. Sith Lord

Sith Lord Active Member

So, this will be wearable?

20. Sith Lord

Sith Lord Active Member

21. GF

GF Sr Member

WOW this is looking fantastic that chest piece looks awesome!!!!!

GFollano

22. pchrisbosh1

Thank you guys for the comments. I'm hoping to make this suit as wearable as possible when finished. I won't be offering any kits, this is just a fun personal project.

After all the trial and error, failed prints, wasted material etc.... I'm guessing about 10 rolls of filament at $25.00 (I'm using Makergeeks filament and its been great so far) I'm sure some cheaper filaments would suffice but to each is own. So I'm assuming 250.00 just in filament for a whole suit. Probably add another 150.00 dollars more for misc materials such as sandpaper, filler primer, glazing putty, dremel bits, etc...

All in all you should be able to print a whole entire Robocop suit, clean it up yourself and have something that looks pretty close to the original for around $400.00. I'll be using different gloves and latex inserts from a member on Robocop archive which will cost just a bit more over that price range but if you stick to the original files that's probably what you'll be spending.

Compare that to a Hansing Robocop suit which cost around $2400.00 if you got it directly from him when they were available.

funboy1013xx and Sith Lord like this.
  23. joberg

joberg Master Member

Beautiful build so far. Eager to see the next update!

24. Sith Lord

Sith Lord Active Member

Plus the 3d files which I've already spoken to D03D about. But still, that's pretty bloody good. And you can budget. A 'typical' armour style costume will cost $1000-$1500- upfront, all in one go. $25- every so often, print when you can, is a lot more budget friendly....

25. pchrisbosh1

Just finished printing and assembling the back, I'll start doing the clean up after I print a few more things. Marked out with a sharpie the additional details I'm going to add for the back. Overall it came out pretty sharp. Next up is the arms and abs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buch, knnyjay, ShortWookie and 3 others like this.
  26. joberg

joberg Master Member

Beautiful so far...are you going to print the abs the same way or with another material?

27. Fsyemogushi

Fsyemogushi New Member

Looking great! Any updates? What printer are you using to print these pieces? You inspired me to watch the original again tonight. Still a great movie!

28. AlphaTech686

AlphaTech686 Active Member

This is all looking very very cool. Can't wait to see more.

29. pchrisbosh1

Here some more updates on the suit. I'm getting there slow and steady. Switched my filament to Hatchbox silver PLA which has been superior to all other filaments I've been using or should I say trying to use. Just wish I would have started using it initially on the suit but I guess the fun part about this process is that it's a learning game. Hatchbox PLA prints like butter, I highly recommend it to anyone into 3D printing and don't think I'll ever try to use any other kind of PLA.

Here is the progress pics. Did some modifications on the backpiece and added in some missing details,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the abs/midsection, still need to assemble
    [​IMG]

Most of the upper body printed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the chest cleaned up and modified with missing details (done by hand).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Current progress,
    [​IMG]

All comments welcome.

knnyjay, LeClubNerd, QCWolf and 4 others like this.
  30. pchrisbosh1

Yes, I'm going to print the abs with PLA, the model is thin so it should still be wearable as is.

31. Sith Lord

Sith Lord Active Member

Wow. Looks so smooth! Amazing progress. You must have the printer going 24/7

So that chest, for example, is that in about 6 pieces like your Netfab pic on the first page?

32. pchrisbosh1

Thanks for the comment. I've been running the printer quite a lot but have had a lot of trial and error with bad filaments clogging, failing during prints, rescaling issues etc.... I probably would have been done by now but after the learning curve things are going much smoother. I actually ended up cutting the chest into 8 pieces which is better for my build volume and easier on my printer.

Sith Lord and funboy1013xx like this.
  33. funboy1013xx

funboy1013xx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

excellent job so far. keep up the awesome work :love:eek:cool

34. Cyberdragon

Cyberdragon New Member

Wow! :love Fantastic progress! Watching this thread!

35. bitbull

bitbull Active Member

Great build! Your build inspired me to do a robocop also.

36. pchrisbosh1

Thanks for the comments and glad to be an inspiration or motivation, if you ever have any questions or vice versa we could help each other out :). Although I have a little bit done, I don't even feel like I've even started yet. Since most of the work is actually going to be put into cleaning the pieces up and modifying them to make them a tad more accurate.

37. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow man, fantastic work so far! really can't wait to see how this all comes together!

38. bitbull

bitbull Active Member

More than happy to help. I would like to make mine as close to the real thing as possible. Your build is a great help with all those details.

39. rralstin

rralstin Member

great!

40. pchrisbosh1

Thanks guys
    Here is the new glove which I will be printing in flexible PLA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RacerMachX likes this.
  41. bitbull

bitbull Active Member

Flexible filament eh? Following with great interest.

42. joberg

joberg Master Member

Eager to see the results!

43. Sith Lord

Sith Lord Active Member

All in one piece? I didn't think flexible filament was THAT flexible?

44. pchrisbosh1

No, I'll be printing in 3 different sections (Forearm, palm, fingers). The soft PLA i'll be using is really flexible almost like rubber but still has a plastic touch to it. The models are so thin it shouldn't be a problem and should be flexible enough to wear and play the part.

The biggest problem will probably be finding the right temp and speed to print it at that it will come out half way decent. I'll have an update on it soon, I'll probably be printing the gloves over the weekend.

I'm also thinking of re-printing the midsection in soft PLA which I had to rescale anyways because of it being undersized.

Sith Lord likes this.
  45. pchrisbosh1

Here is the whole left leg printed and glued together. The pieces of course still need to be finished, and there is some extra details I want to add to them but overall a great base to work with. I'm starting to print the right leg as we speak and the printer is pretty much going 24/7 at this point. Hoping to have everything printed in a couple weeks so I could start the overhaul/clean up process.

34875411894_3c3fdd2733_z.jpg
    34875412824_c047246dc7_z.jpg

Flex PLA for the gloves was a no-go, it was flexible but not enough to make it wearable. I'm going to just print the glove in PLA and make it work similar to how an iron man glove works. I might make a mold later and cast in latex but that's in the maybe category at this point. More progress to come soon.

ABE, knnyjay, JayCVenlo and 1 other person like this.
  46. joberg

joberg Master Member

"A good base to work on":eek What do you mean...it's a great base to work on:cool Too bad for the gloves...I think you're right to make them like the ones on an Iron Man costume.

47. bitbull

bitbull Active Member

Great so far! I saw you cut out a piece of the foot. I noticed that the movie suit has this too and you can move your foot way better.

48. Snikt

Snikt Sr Member

This is stunningly beautiful. That chest piece * near brought a tear to me eye!

49. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking great! It is just fantastic what we can do with 3d files and a printer now. The level of detail and solid construction is just so amazing.

50. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Took the word right out of my mouth. As an oldtimer, We have come along way from hitting pause on a VCR.

Zinger likes this.