3D Printed Obi Wan ANH Lightsaber

bwize

Sr Member
Good afternoon,

I just finished up my 3D printed lightsaber for Obi Wan ANH. I got the 3D files of Etsy and a friend printed them at .12 rez on his Prusa as I wanted the best quality I could get. The files are perfect as the designer really did his home work and got all the details perfect. It really was like have all the original parts and building it. I did not want to make it too weathered and worn as I felt Obi Wan would have taken good care of it, even if was experiencing some PTSD while hanging out on Tatooine.

I used Spaztix mirror chrome for the pommel, but intentionally left the black backer a bit rough so as to make the chrome look weathered. The Graflex clamp and emitter were Model Master Buff-able aluminum plate. That was a hit and miss job. I ended up sealing those with a gloss coat to try to keep some of the luster, while still trying to make it look weathered and worn. The grenade body and booster were layered with gun metal then lightly misted with metallic black to tone down the gun metal sheen. I then applied a rusty and dirty wash to both and dry brushed some steel to hit some edges then sealed with semi-gloss. I really like how these 2 parts turned out.

The brass neck was the most challenging. I first tried air brushing brass, both buffable and non-buffable, but did not like the results. So I brushed on Valejo brass and bronze then following a black wash and glazing, sealed with semi-gloss to achieve the metallic sheen.

The bubble strip is from RomansProps, but I has to sand the sides down a bit to get it to fit. The last piece was the D-ring. I lightly sanded it to remove the high sheen.
IMG_0396.jpg
ObiWan 3D Printed 1.jpg
ObiWan 3D Printed 3.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! It was a blast to put together.

You might think about this one as it looks nice and you could probably weather it a bit to match your static hilt.

Here is the kitted version if you wanted to put it together your self or with your nephew.

Thank you! It was a blast to put together.

You might think about this one as it looks nice and you could probably weather it a bit to match your static hilt.

Here is the kitted version if you wanted to put it together your self or with your nephew.

thank you! :)

I know, right. When I saw the 3D files that is the first thing that stood out to me. The designer really nailed all the correct shapes and details. This part is such a defining detail of his saber too.

Thank you Snow Builder. In my eye the weakest link is that Graflex clamp. It looked so gorgeous buffed and I knew as soon as I hit it with a sealer that I would loose a lot of it. I had considered not sealing it to keep that finish, but I opted to take the loss as I knew it would probably not stand up to the handling that it would get, despite it being a display piece, lol.

I have heard of the sealer called 2K that can apparently restore metallic sheen to metallic paints so I may consider redoing the clamp in the future and try this out to see if I can keep the sheen.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back