3D Printed - Lambda Class T-4a Imperial Shuttle (WIP)

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This has always been one of my favorite Star Wars ships, and I am not even really sure why, I just think it has a cool aesthetic. Either way, I have always wanted a large scale model of this ship. I would have even settled for the Lego version but there is no way I am paying those prices on Ebay for the kit...

This is my first real larger-scale project after getting my new Mars Pro resin printer and I think it's the perfect project to test it out on. It has been a learning experience for sure on what they are good at, and what they are not good at. For instance, the printed parts are much more fragile than my PLA prints. I would not want to print large structural parts without a serious amount of reinforcements. Drilling is also an issue, the parts just crack and fall apart... I am also brand new so there are probably some tricks I need to learn in order to help this a bit.

Since the PLA is much stronger I will be printing the main body, wings, and a few other parts with that material to avoid having to make some kind of large armature.

I am still trying to determine the scale of this, it's pretty large but I don't think it's studio scale (500 mm W, 500 mm H, 300 mm L). Either way, I reduced the print by 5% to fit the wings on my printer as a single part so that I did not have to cut anything in half. The model is also pretty accurate from what I can tell so far with the reference material I have reviewed. I will be doing some more research along the way. There is a major detail that is missing which will need to be addressed as I don't think it will look right without out. I will point this out later as I do not want to post the molder builder's images here.

It does have LED tunnels so I will be adding all of the landing lights with some really great flashing LED's, plus I will be trying out some clear resin so that I can light the engines in the rear also. I am not interested in doing the cockpit (even though it does have a bit of an interior, dash, and pilots) so I will be blacking that out.

Let's see how this goes!

These are among the first things I have ever resin printed and I could not believe how much better they looked when compared to my PLA prints:

20210102_210631.jpg

20201230_184004.jpg

Two of the wings and the front part of the body are done. Even with reducing the size, the top wing is too tall for my Prusa Mini, so I will start printing that part at work tomorrow. I did not really want to reduce the size of the kit any more than absolutely necessary. The printer at my work is an Ultimaker so I will have to do a bit more clean up than usual as it does not print as cleanly as my Mini does, no question.

20201230_160946.jpg

Half of the main body is done, the other half is about 35% printed. There is not a ton of parts to this kit so I hope to get it done pretty quickly. I am also working on a 1:24 scale B-Wing but that project is kicking my trash a bit so I am taking a small break to work on this and a few others.

20210101_235702.jpg

I wonder whether the PLA parts will take well to styrene paneling? I have been wondering if it would be a good way to hide those printing lines.

Looking good. What scale is it going to be?

TazMan2000

According to the shop I got the files from, it's a 1/70 scale. That is based on info found in Wookiepedia so take that for what it's worth. Actually, if I had known that earlier I probably would have scaled it up just a bit to get 1/72 to line up with a bunch of other models, but as I understand it exact scale in the SW universe is open to a bit of interpretation so at 95% of 1/70 it's close enough for me :)

I may scale it up to 1:24, depending on how this goes and what that would actually look like, it may be way too big.

The guns look really good. Did you have to do any processing before you prime them?
No, that is straight off the printer, no finishing and since I took off the supports before curing, zero sanding required. That is the beauty of resin for sure :)

I wonder whether the PLA parts will take well to styrene paneling? I have been wondering if it would be a good way to hide those printing lines.

I will let you know, I do plan on using some styrene sheets to fill in some of the details. At first, I stated that this would be a super quick build but the more research I have done the more I want to get some of the major detail issues fixed so that is going to take some extra work for sure.

At 95% of 1/70 I would say that makes it about 1/74 which is close enough for sure

Also resin printers do make a huge difference to quality. Looks great

All the major prints are complete. I am just working on a few of the smaller parts on the resin printer and the cockpit. I am still not 100% sure about it and may attempt it in PLA instead of resin. The resin is smooth and looks amazing but it needs a bit of work and I have not been able to re-print it as I think the file has issues. Once it gets to around 25% or so, my printer just stops adding layers. I know it's the part as I have had it fail twice but printed 20 other parts in resin after that.

20210107_182231.jpg

Is that the back-end of a Razor Crest I see?

Nice catch! Yeah, it's going to be massive (1:34)... I had to put it diagonally on the bed just to fit it and it's just the tip of the back.

Looks cool!

Have you opened the files in 3d builder and see if they need to be repaired?

I have with the Prusa Slicer, and I have been able to repair it a few times (it takes about 3 to 5 minutes...). But even after the repair, it has issues. I will check out 3D Builder, I have not used that software yet.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back