3D printed Hands of Blue "Sonic/Disruptor" Device - FIREFLY TV Series - 2 by 2 HOB

propmaster2000

Sr Member
This is another prototype I am working on.

I made 2 "Pop-out Thingies" back when the series first aired, but did it the old school way.........By Hand.
Since I recently got a 3D printer, I thought I would try my design hand at making this prop using current tech.
I still have a ways to go, but it is coming along nicely :)
The video below shows my current progress.

https://youtu.be/VKqYonmS5AA

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Hands of Blue "Sonic/Disruptor" Device - FIREFLY TV Series - 2 by 2 HOB

This is a follow up post on my Hands Of Blue sonic weapon prop as seen in the tv series Firefly.

Early on, I had made two hero versions of this prop many years ago and this will be my most recent design using 3D modeling and a 3D printer.
I took some of what was done on my first two designs and incorporated them in to this version.

https://youtu.be/GIF03K4VUDg

Worked on this a bit more today.
In the first video showing the functionality of the prop, I was using the inside of the one I made many years ago.
The video I'm showing now is with all 3D printed internal mech. The top rod will still need to have a small notch put in
it for the push button to capture it from poping open, so it is held in with more of a pressure hold at this time.

I think the next update will show a primered outside paint job.

Thanks for watching :)

I went ahead a threw on a quick paint covering and 3D printed the rod end caps, then painted them silver.
They are only place holders for the machined aluminum pieces that will take there place.

Not sure if there are any fans of Firefly here or even if anyone knows what this weapons purpose is.

Over the years I have seen versions of this, but they were static and did not have the pop out feature as seen in the episode "Ariel".
It was a real challenge for me to 3D model this and ultimately print it out.
May make a couple more and sell at auction......
Thanks for watching. :)

hob 2x2 larger-closeup.png

I have built a couple of static units several years ago using blue glow sticks, but this really looks like something I would love to attempt. So far it looks really great. Thanks for posting your progress!

Thanks wizard832 :)

I am still working out the details on the best way to print all the little pieces needed for this version of the HOB Sonic Disruptor.
I think this picture shows the best "individual piece's" design so far.
They all go together nicely when assembled and glued.

Not shown are the two florescent blue rods, lever mech. and miscellaneous non-printed parts.

Hands of blue 3D parts.JPG

Last edited:

One more thing...................

Over the years I have seen versions of this, but they were static and did not have the pop out feature as seen in the episode "Ariel".

What, you forgot about the ones I made?

BlueHandsDevice02JPEG.jpg

I posted the the entire build process on the now defunct www.serenitymovie.net and the currently down for maintenance www.fireflyprops.net.

HOB%20device%20008_zpsedfoophy.jpg

I never was able to figure out how to make both rods retract together like you did on your first model.
I asked you how back before I realized you actually make props for the movies (the BDM Serenity air analyzer) and that you need to protect your trade secrets.
So, mine has a center release and both rods need to be pushed in separately.

HOB%20device%20009_zpsiwpuhqmu.jpg

I made 8 and sold seven of them.
As far as I know, only one was ever finished to functioning.
There were still people looking for these, so if you announce them on all the Firefly forums,
including the local Browncoat groups on Facebook, you should have no trouble auctioning them off.

Mike

I'm pretty certain that the release button is on the end, next to a rod cap, and the agent uses his thumb to activate his HOB Rod device.
Would you be able to confirm/copy that?

Personally, I'd be interested in purchasing, should there be a run.
(I was going to ask about lighting the rods, but it's clear they aren't illuminated in the clips)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back