3D printed Beskar Steel bar

Kylash

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my first time giving my go at 3D modeling, using TinkerCAD, because its simple. I modeled this and then made an SVG of several photos of damascus steel and extruded and removed a thin layer from the main model with it on all sides.

I then printed it on my new ElegooMars in clear blue resin. The supports worked well aside from the very bottom edge where there is some distortion for some reason.

This is about 5.5" x 3", barely fitting within the volume for that printer. The damascus pattern was intentionally made deeper than I needed so I can sand the faces flat until it's barely there and then mold and cast in coldcast resin and give a black wash and hope it stays on those subtle patterns. In the sanding process I'l also round out the edges of the Imperial logo to make it look more like a stamp and give the outer edges some roundness.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 10.49.26 AM.png
IMG_4609.JPG
IMG_4610.JPG
IMG_4611.JPG

Last edited:
This is my first 3D modeling try, using TinkerCAD because its simple. I modeled this and then made an SVG of several photos of damascus steel and extruded and removed a thin layer from the main model with it on all sides.

I then printed it on my ElegooMars in clear blue resin.

This is about 5.5" x 3", barely fitting within the volume for that printer. The damascus pattern was intentionally made deeper than I needed so I can sand the faces flat until it's barely there and then mold and cast in coldcast resin and give a black wash and hope it stays on those subtle patterns.
If there's a pic, it's not showing up my friend.

Really excited to see the result!

This actually printed smaller than I had intended, so I need to do another one, and then the cleanup and molding before I'm positive I can make more.

Reprinted at a slightly larger size and textured the edged with a better swirl pattern. Ill post more pictures once primed!

Here's the newly scaled print with better edge detail. The bottom edge came out all muddy so that one may stay flat for pouring or ill have to do the engraving by hand. So now ill sand those lines almost flat so theyre just a slight surface texture instead of this deep.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender-3.jpg
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

It was the closes Damascus pattern I could find without trying to make one from scratch, and again it will be sanded down to almost nothing.

Thought i was close, but still too much texture. More sanding...

Attachments

• IMG_4629.JPG
    IMG_4629.JPG
    908.6 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    951.6 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_4631.JPG
    IMG_4631.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4632.JPG
    IMG_4632.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 330
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back