3D Printed 1:34 Scale Razor Crest - w/Full Display - (WIP)

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Okay, ever since the show came out I have had this ship on my list to build and these files have been on Gamebody's site for some time. Well, that time is now! I have not been able to tackle this print until now as my Prusa Mini just did not have the bed space for two of the larger sections, they are the only parts that I could print on my Mini.

Ender the Ender Max, which is more than capable of getting these larger prints done:

20210208_223439.jpg

Ender Max easily handles the prints that are too large for my mini:
20210217_222801.jpg

Anytime I start a new project, I take some of the more difficult parts and print them in sections just to see what I am in for. I find this helps with finding the best orientation to get the most detail, and it also helps me to plan for any adjustments I might need to make before starting a 4 or 5-day print...

20201214_123112.jpg

I will say upfront that I have a lot of plans for not only this Razor Crest build but also the 'Display' part of my title so there is going to be some time involved to fully realize all that I have planned. Having said that, lest you think I started the thread only to update it in 2 months when all the parts are printed, 95% of this is already printed out :)

20210313_085807.jpg

Here it is next to my 1:48 X-Wing, this thing is huge!
20210313_090328.jpg

There are a bunch of awesome builds happening all over the place, including here on the forum, and one thing I have noticed they all share is that the top part where the escape pod is not very accurate for the Gambody files. I have seen a lot of solutions on how to correct this, including an awesome scratch build from a fellow RPF member.

I decided however to take a different route. I did initially think I could just model the part myself in 3D Fusion or a few other programs I tried, it was pretty obvious that was not happening anytime soon... Instead, I found (what I believe) to be a more accurate set of files on Etsy, so I purchased those files and performed a bit of a 'mash' up of the two kits.

The section I am talking about is this:

Before.PNG

So I took that file, sliced it up a bit, and grafted the 'more correct' version onto the original file:

Body8.PNG

Body3.PNG

Body7.PNG

Here was my first draft print to see what it would look like, much better!

20210313_085841.jpg

Attachments

• Body3.PNG
    Body3.PNG
    125.7 KB · Views: 62
When I started this build I wanted to do more than just build the Razor Crest as the Mandalorian series is some of the best Star Wars to come along in a very long time, so I wanted to build a bit of an homage to the entire series. Here are a few parts I have been collecting so that I can build my 'display' along with this kit:

20210313_101134.jpg

20210313_101152.jpg

20210313_101247.jpg

I have a bunch more pieces and parts planned for this.

Last edited:
Also... while I am building the full 1:34 scale model, I decided to build a smaller one so that I could utilize this print in order to test paint and a few other processes, introducing the mini-crest :)

The files I picked on Etsy included a full print which was basically the body, engines, and guns. I at first attempted to print a really small one but it did not turn out so I scaled it up to 134% and got to printing:

20210306_101250.jpg

20210307_145644.jpg

20210313_090848.jpg

Don't run out of resin!!

20210307_145628.jpg

My resin printer is not large enough for the main body so I have someone here on the RPF helping me print that part. I suspect it will be at least 3 or 4 weeks before I get that part done.

This is fantastic! Im hoping to see some kits soon as I don't have the ability to 3d print and would love to do a Razor Crest.
Im really looking foward to your progress. Your attention to detail already is great.
Cheers,
Josh

Is 1:34 the same scale as the studio miniature model they used for the motion controlled shots?

I am not 100% sure, that is a good question. This kit printed in 26.9" long, several articles state that the ILM filming miniature is about 2 feet long. But, in looking at pictures and videos of people working on it, it looks smaller than what I am building. I am sure someone else has a more accurate answer than I do.

Brilliant fix for the top part!

I have to get back to mine

Thanks! I struggled with that for a while. I am not always the most accurate model maker but when I saw some of the other great builds going up and how inaccurate that particular portion was I just could not let it go :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back