3D Printed 1/24 Scale Tie Interceptor (Done!)

This was my favorite Tie Fighter from the original trilogy. Excellent work!!! I would never guess it was 3D printed. Just Incredible...

This was my favorite Tie Fighter from the original trilogy. Excellent work!!! I would never guess it was 3D printed. Just Incredible...

Same, and I have not seen a ton of SS Interceptor kits being cast, they are probably out there but I could not find one. I found the advanced and the normal TIE but not this one. I did find a guy who sells some good looking files for Vader's TIE or he will print the entire kit in resin, which looks sweet but after this build, I may just grab the files and attempt another PLA print.

I honestly think part of it is my Prusa mini, it's just an amazing little printer. I am not really printing anything right now so I was messing around with it yesterday. The software will let you take it all the way down to ".05" mm so I thought I would give it a try and see what it could do.

You can barely see the lines, and you can not feel them. I am sure with a light coat of primer they would be gone. This is at the default 1:34 scale the model comes in, I had such a good time doing this one I may print it at the default and give that a try. 1:34 is a weird size but I kind of like it, smaller than this one but larger than the 1:48.

20200825_072242.jpg

Nothing like a few decals to really finish off a build! And, yes I am aware I am putting normal TIE decals on my intercepter, it's okay, really :)

20200829_142448.jpg

20200829_143647.jpg

Fantastic build, shame the cockpit window has been put on wrong though ...
Nice catch, how about this? I am going to re-model this part at some point as it's one of the more inaccurate parts of the kit so I just stuck it on, but I am glad that it was not glued in place (and it has plenty of tension so it probably never will be)!

20201005_181411.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic build, shame the cockpit window has been put on wrong though ...

Okay, now you got me thinking and I never noticed this before and I had to look it up. Every shot from inside the cockpit shows it the other way, all external shots show it with the pillar straight up.

It's only wrong if you are talking about which scene you are referencing or the point of view :)

20201005_205216.jpg

For the studio scale model it's wrong. When they built the TIE cockpit set, they got the window frame wrong. And watching the special edition is wrong. ;)
Funny, I was just watching this video yesterday, about how they rotated the window on the tie fighter in the new Squadrons game so the the interior and exterior matched. But only on the tie fighter, really weird (maybe because it's the only one you see the inside in the movie?)

Anyway, this is great build, could hardly tell it's 3d print

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back