3D Printed 1/24 Scale Tie Interceptor (Done!)

Here is the outside with the first coat of primer.

Printed at 0.1 with the standard .40mm Prusa nozzle.

Have been thinking a .25mm nozzle just to see the difference, but smaller is not always better in what I have read.

I am not sure anyone should take that close of a close-up shot of their work :)

If there are any other parts let me know. Somehow the camera makes it worse than in person but there it is.

20200812_000717.jpg

Last edited:
The first coat of primer is always great to show what else needs to be cleaned up. Sometimes it's hard to tell with just he raw print but the primer coat reveals all :)

20200812_175020.jpg

Last edited:
That looks pretty darn good for being the raw print! I haven't really printed anything on my FDM smaller than .2mm. For anything smaller than that I just use the Mars. But this looks promising!

SB

I have been looking at those resin printers, would be awesome for some of the small detailed parts. I think the larger scale of this print helps. I would assume at the much smaller scales it would not be as clean.

Back from vacation and time to get back to work, I really want to finish this in the next two weeks.

I am having a hard time picking between the two colors, Slate Blue and Haze Gray... They both look awesome. I really like the Slate, it's a bit bluer for sure but looks amazing. The Haze is also great, I am sure the camera throws it all out of whack but here they both are on my first test print:

20200817_173045.jpg

20200817_173026.jpg

Went with the Rustoleum. Its pretty blue but I like the way it looks at this scale. I am going to use the Tamiya on my 38" resin cast SSD.

Getting close to buttoning this up, here is the cockpit so far, again I took a lot of liberties here...

20200818_204829.jpg

The camera picks up a lot more red than there really is but you get the idea:
20200819_224316.jpg

Last edited:
Getting close! I just have to paint some of the grey parts, finish the left wings, and then paint the black panels. My only real concern now is the 'weathering'. On my rebel ships, this has always been pretty easy and I have developed a few different processes over the years with my smaller Bandai models. This scale is a bit more intimidating (and there has been a LOT more work put into this)...

I don't want to overdo it as I know the imperial stuff is typically not as heavily weathered, I just want to do enough to bring out some of the highlights if possible. Open to any expert advice!

20200820_222957.jpg

One :)

This is where it will be for a while, at least a few weeks. I have found (and in my research) that almost all paints, even those you use to paint walls in your house take weeks to fully 100% cure. In my experience waiting at least a week or so has really helped me not mess up my paint jobs. That has been my experience anyway, especially with the thicker spray can paints. When I airbrush I normally only wait 3 or 4 days.

So I will wait about a week, coat it with some Tamiya Flat Clear (it's a bit glossy right now), and then attempt to weather it a bit. Probably just going to go with a really light oil paint wash.

I also picked up some of Jason's newly released decals so I am beyond excited to have those to put onto this build. I can't really find any good decal reference images yet but I have some time to research.

Lastly, I have a laser-etched plaque coming so that I can finish making the base for this.

And no, it does not fit in my Detolf cases, but the lighting is excellent.

20200822_201734.jpg

20200822_201832.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful build! It's hard to believe that this thing is 3D printed! You did an amazing job! Bravo, sir!

SB

Thanks Steve, for my first completed SS build and 3D printed project of this size, I am surprised how well it turned out.

Now back to my x-wing, which actually ended up being a much more difficult build, but I learned a lot of things here.

-Eric

Seriously wow, thats looking amazing, I was worried about layer lines early in the build but seeing the final result. Top notch work

Very nice...Great job!

Thanks!

Seriously wow, thats looking amazing, I was worried about layer lines early in the build but seeing the final result. Top-notch work

Thanks! Also, there are of course parts where if you look close you can see the lines, I don't want anyone under the illusion that I was able to get rid of all of them...

But, I was pretty successful in cleaning up most of them, or printing them in an orientation that the lines were minimized.

Other than the cockpit not being super accurate the only other real part I might re-do is the front 'window'. The way it's modeled the veins are way too thick from front to back. Also, I over-sprayed the primer and paint which covered up the print lines but also killed all the detail. Since I have not glued this piece in (and may never as it's a good tight pressure fit) I will probably re-work that part.

There are a few other parts also that could have used a bit more clean up or resin.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back