3D Printed 1/24 Scale Tie Interceptor (Done!)

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Tie Interceptor has always been my favorite Tie Fighter for sure. While I was finishing the last few parts of my 1/24 3D Printed X-Wing it dawned on me that I needed a matching Tie so here is that build!

Time to start printing!

20200726_234430.jpg

Here it is next to my X-Wing.

20200727_214448.jpg

It took me awhile do get the main 'fuselage' of the Tie oriented correctly for the best printing. First few prints had some serious issues at the bottom but I finally got it dialed in.

20200728_232049.jpg

Failed print! I can already tell a few of these items will need to be resin printed, this is among them. The controls and very detailed section that connects the 'wing' sections together will need to be resin printed.

20200730_224242.jpg

This light and flat black backgrounds sure pick up every single flaw and print line... they actually look much better in person :)

20200730_223400.jpg

20200730_223421.jpg

Here are some of the colors I am thinking about if you have any suggestions let me know. The only real requirement is that I am not doing straight grey, I really want something with that blue tint to it. Every Tie I have built so far is more straight grey and I want to try something different for this one.

I prefer to spray from a can at this scale, just like my X-Wing I don't want to airbrush this massive model, it just won't turn out that well with the airbrush I have (and my skills).

Satin Slate Blue (Rust-Oleum)
Haze Gray (Tamiya)
Intermediate Blue (Tamiya)
Light Ghost Gray (Tamiya)

I am going for what most people with 'think' it looks like on-screen and not necessarily what the studio model would look like in person.

Thanks!

Last edited:
One side down. Should be able to start gluing some of these together. This really is a fantastic model, I am not sure who modeled it but it was very well designed for 3D printing, it's by far the cleanest and easiest to print item I have printed so far.

20200804_195906.jpg
20200804_195401.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, looks awesome so far, excellent work. Is this Alain Rivard's file?
I would go for Haze Gray personally. For me that looks the closest to on screen and my memory.

I am not 100% for sure, although I am working on getting a Tie Advanced from him. I got it from Gambody. They have some nice files. In talking with them I scaled up the model to 142% to achieve the 1/24 scale size.

Thanks for the color, I have these three on order:
Satin Slate Blue (Rust-Oleum)
Haze Gray (Tamiya)
Intermediate Blue (Tamiya)

Dang, that's looking great! Where'd you get the file from?

SB

Yeah, it's modeled so well for printing it's pretty incredable how easy it has been to print even with just normal PLA. It comes with instructions for all 3 major slicers on exactly what settings to use, it has you tweak about 15 settings.

2 of the last 5 parts are done, everything should be done getting printed this weekend then the real work can begin.

20200806_230606.jpg

This is awesome! Nice looking prints too! Don’t think I could fit these parts on my Formlabs ha ha!

No, would look awesome though. You would just have to leave it at 1/34 or 1/68 which is how the files come :)

Last edited:
No, would look awesome though, just have to print it as it comes and not scale it up 142% :)

Ha ha but the scale helps make it awesome! FDM for the big parts and resin printing for the smaller more detailed stuff would be great! I don’t have FDM though.

I can’t wait to see how you finish this off!

True enough!

I may actually need to have my friend resin print the seats and controls, still experimenting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back