3d Printed 1:1 replica of the 11-foot Starship Enterprise from TOS

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just wanted to show off some incredible work by Russell Meyers. Over the past three months, he led the team that designed and printed this fabulous replica of the studio scale model. You're seeing the raw prints assembled for the first time (the rest of the ship, the other nacelle and the side of the saucer section, was printed by Frank Terribile and was not available for today's photo session). I contributed some blueprint work and decal design.

More photos here!

The deck plan Photoshopped onto the model is new work by Matthew Cushman.

Attachments

• cutaway applied.jpg
    cutaway applied.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 647
  • DSCF2644.jpg
    DSCF2644.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 576
  • DSCF2697.jpg
    DSCF2697.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 490
  • DSCF2725.jpg
    DSCF2725.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 485
  • DSCF2732.jpg
    DSCF2732.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 476
  • DSCF2747.jpg
    DSCF2747.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 487
  • DSCF2760.jpg
    DSCF2760.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 452
  • DSCF2765.jpg
    DSCF2765.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 433
  • DSCF2769.jpg
    DSCF2769.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 425
  • IMG_0927.jpg
    IMG_0927.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 608
Rapturous!!!

Scale up the 3 Footer to match…and the FJ (Achernar) to go with it, please!

A couple of phys.org stories you may be interested in:

“A 3D printer that can print data sets as physical objects.”

“New ultra-fast 3D printer works like a reverse scanner” from Prof. You Yang of the Technical University of Denmark (DTU).

That uses Tomographic Vat Photopolymerization (TVP).

“Since the new 3D printer uses an inverted CT image as template and simply changes the polymeric material with light rays instead of printing point by point, objects can be produced almost instantly.”

Gary Kerr, Playmates…got your ears on?

Last edited:
This is really AMAZING!!! Very nice!!

Can you share more info on the construction?
Printer and materials? How many segments created? Will it be finished or intended to be separated? Will it be painted? Lights? Any support or armature? Is it a ‘master’ pattern? Will it be on display at some point?

I think a lot of us would love to hear as much as you can share on this project. ;)
Really stunning achievement!
Sean

This is really AMAZING!!! Very nice!!

Can you share more info on the construction?
Printer and materials? How many segments created? Will it be finished or intended to be separated? Will it be painted? Lights? Any support or armature? Is it a ‘master’ pattern? Will it be on display at some point?

I think a lot of us would love to hear as much as you can share on this project. ;)
Really stunning achievement!
Sean
Thanks Sean, it’s been a great project. Here are some details:

About 45 individual prints, typically 10x10x10” big.

Printed for my buyer, we simply bonded the centerline of the saucer with Weld 16 acrylic cement which bonds the PLA2 plastic together. Everything else is just taped together with gaffers tape and it still holds together brilliantly. The buyer will finish and paint it as they desire, and is considering lighting setups. Modern Remote Control LED kits would be ideal but that’s up to him.

I engineered supports into the pylons, cross printed for strength, and printed a few sections at over 10% infill so they are hard as a rock and very rigid. The rest is lightweight at 2% infill. There is a 1” hole running through the the secondary hull straight through the dorsal a a main stand balance point.

It will live with my buyer, but I would love to print others for conventions and public displays if anyone want to commission it!

Big thanks to Daniel Broadway for the original CG model, built for video renders, Frank T. For printing the port side and to Karl for all his graphics expertise as well as Gary K. for advising me in making it as accurate as possible.

Rapturous!!!

Scale up the 3 Footer to match…and the FJ (Achernar) to go with it, please!

A couple of phys.org stories you may be interested in:

“A 3D printer that can print data sets as physical objects.”

“New ultra-fast 3D printer works like a reverse scanner” from Prof. You Yang of the Technical University of Denmark (DTU).

That uses Tomographic Vat Photopolymerization (TVP).

“Since the new 3D printer uses an inverted CT image as template and simply changes the polymeric material with light rays instead of printing point by point, objects can be produced almost instantly.”

Gary Kerr, Playmates…got your ears on?
Thanks sir. Gary helped me some advice throughout the project.

Thanks Sean, it’s been a great project. Here are some details:

About 45 individual prints, typically 10x10x10” big.

Printed for my buyer, we simply bonded the centerline of the saucer with Weld 16 acrylic cement which bonds the PLA2 plastic together. Everything else is just taped together with gaffers tape and it still holds together brilliantly. The buyer will finish and paint it as they desire, and is considering lighting setups. Modern Remote Control LED kits would be ideal but that’s up to him.

I engineered supports into the pylons, cross printed for strength, and printed a few sections at over 10% infill so they are hard as a rock and very rigid. The rest is lightweight at 2% infill. There is a 1” hole running through the the secondary hull straight through the dorsal a a main stand balance point.

It will live with my buyer, but I would love to print others for conventions and public displays if anyone want to commission it!

Big thanks to Daniel Broadway for the original CG model, built for video renders, Frank T. For printing the port side and to Karl for all his graphics expertise as well as Gary K. for advising me in making it as accurate as possible.
Daniel's a member here. Paging DanielB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back