Suggestion 3d Print File Section?

thelangley

I don't know if this has been addressed before or maybe it already exists somewhere.. what do people think about having a section on here for just 3d printing files for folks to share and dl? Thingiverse is good for a few things but not quite up to spec usually. Might be cool to have a place to get quality prop/replica stuff, and easy to browse/find things.

Thoughts?

Most people that make 3D files on this website want to charge for that service.

That being said, the speaker grill I made for Drac, and a basic Jumanji dice would be things that I'd put in.

I mean, I don't mind even paying a reasonable price if someone went through the time and effort to design a quality file. That's cool w me. Free is always good, but I get it.

Most people that make 3D files on this website want to charge for that service.

I still think it's a good idea. But I think it would just have basic stuff in it. The RPF would have to dedicate hard drive space to the files, and they'd have to be cleaned out of clutter once in a while.

I think it would be cool too. In so far as HD space is concerned, it could be just a page with links to users own file repositories. Yes some would charge, but that would be up to the designer.
Obviously, dead links would have to be culled from time to time, but it would be an interesting idea to test out.

I think it would be cool too. In so far as HD space is concerned, it could be just a page with links to users own file repositories. Yes some would charge, but that would be up to the designer.
Obviously, dead links would have to be culled from time to time, but it would be an interesting idea to test out.

I agree with this.

I recently had had a member here make me a small file for a nominal fee. He just made the file available for me to download from his Dropbox. Worked like a charm.

I know I'd be very interested to see what files members are willing to share. I've been looking for starships to build...from franchises or just generic...and the pickings on Thingiverse seem relatively slim. It would be cool to see if anyone here has ever made any.

I've been looking for starships to build...from franchises or just generic...and the pickings on Thingiverse seem relatively slim. It would be cool to see if anyone here has ever made any.

As a matter of fact, I'm currently working on a TOS Klingon D7. Just a few more details to add (and a couple to fix - always maddening when you model a feature and then find better reference photos, or you realize you miscounted something), then I'll carve it up for printing at studio scale. After adding each part, I've gone in and fixed all the little geometry errors that slicers would undoubtedly complain about, so hopefully it'll be a trouble-free print even as a unibody model at a smaller scale.

And then after that, I hope to do a cutaway version based on Michael McMaster's deck plans. (Already have the walls and floors laid out, but they'll take a little massaging in order to fit into the exterior model. He did a phenomenal job, but since the plans were drafted by hand, things don't quite match up perfectly.)

Once I've got it printed, smoothed, and painted, I'll throw it up on Thingiverse with the other props that I've finished. (Sadly, the smoothing-and-painting phase takes me a looong time.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this up as it's something I've been thinking a lot about.

What if we start tagging our stuff on Thingiverse "the_rpf" or similar? That way we could find stuff that might be on the higher end of decent.

I'm a beginner at model making, but have a few reasonable things in my profile (see signature below). I'm a huge fan of giving stuff away for free, so any models I build end up there, along with the associated cad project at onshape.com

Also: In my head I've been calling prints from my own models "digital scratch builds"... I think that term should be a thing ;)

Last edited:
That seems like it could work. I spend a lot of time digging around on thingie trying to find quality stuff. That tag would be a helpful clue.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back