3D Modeling props

JonnieLP

Hey guys,
I could need some help from you guys. As I'm not too gifted when it comes to 3d modelling stuff, I wanted to ask if someone would be willing to help me out on this subject. My goal is to do a STAR WARS Fan Film around summer 2019 and I want to create some props and thought 3d printing them would be the easiest and in total cheaper way of doing that. So what I need is someone who is able to 3d model stuff so it is 3d printable, because I do not know what is important to look for. Or, if you want, give me a tutorial on how to do it myself. Especially what I have to consider when modelling for 3d printing. Thx in Advance and Merry Christmas from Germany :D

I second Tazman's idea, there are a lot of excellent and free 3d models available on the web. I would check out Thingverse, MyMiniFactory, and Pinshape for starters. The learning curve on 3d modeling (especially for printing) would leave you little or no wiggle room on your deadline, and commissioning 3d models will take both time and money that may be better used on other expenses like costuming and equipment. Good luckk on your project!

Another question: Would it be easier for someone to just 3D model a 3D printable prop from an already existing 3D model? So, say I have 3D models that are renderable, but probably not 3D printable, could someone "convert" or remodel them to be 3D printable? What do you guys think?

Another question: Would it be easier for someone to just 3D model a 3D printable prop from an already existing 3D model? So, say I have 3D models that are renderable, but probably not 3D printable, could someone "convert" or remodel them to be 3D printable? What do you guys think?

Models ripped straight from games are typically this way, they look great in-game but are relatively low resolution and are not printable. While you can use modeling software to stitch and repair the model fairly quickly to make printable, the quality is usually going to be low as is the polygon count. Below is a comparison of a Destiny hand cannon 3d model ripped and stitched from the game (available free on thingverse), while the bottom is the same cannon remodeled to match the look of the in-game renders (by yours truly, available free on MyMiniFactory). While the first model will work, it would also require a significant amount of clean-up after printing and would lack a lot of the details visible on any close shots.

w1cplfv9h5lulv36g.jpg

7gl9nenuqk7t8576g.png

I forgot to mention Yeggi,com which searches databases for models, but not all are free.

Renderable does not always mean printable, however with some you might be able to get away with it. I'm sure you have heard the term watertight when used to describe models for printing. A model created in a 3D program probably contains several pieces that are virtually put together without creating them into one "solid" piece. The virtual pieces overlap each other but won't appear like that when rendered, as the outer shell will cover up the overlap. There are programs that can try to fix problems, but they can't fix everything.

Even on sites such as Thingiverse, there are good as well as poor models. Sometimes the comment section notes problems.

There are programs that can convert 3D meshes into models, however they don't always work as expected. Its hit and miss with that. Sometimes it is just easier to start from scratch. TinkerCAD is a free online program that is fairly simple to use, which can create more complex parts. It doesn't have a lot of features, but you can't beat the price (free).

TazMan2000

Last edited:
What kind of props are you making? If they are simple like lightsabers then they are pretty easy but things like helmets and blasters are much more difficult.

CAKComedyProps These are the props I'm looking for. Accompanied by several others I already found online.

#1 Computer Panel
This is a model from SWBF II and I wanted to get that 3d printed several times actually :D But I don't know if that one is 3d printable. It is one piece, but surely to big to print in one piece
ref60qd9gfu6f79zg.png

Blender File: ComputerPanel

#2 Wall Sign
This thing is self modeled which is why I don't know if it is suitable for 3D printing :D Beware: I did separate the model on purpose so it has several hopefully 3D printable parts. I think the parts should be 3D printable, but I still want to make sure they are and get some opinions by people who have already done that
3vmqih5755i2i6gzg.png

Blender File: SignWall_for3D_Print

Maybe if someone, perhaps you CAKComedyProps , could take a look at this and tell me what to improve on, etc. that would be really awesome. Thx in Advance :D

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back