3D Modeling/Printing in CATIA or Solid Works Question

acesh007

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
First, I hope I am in the right section for this. Secondly I have just started modeling things in CATIA again after many years, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with 3D printing with using the surface tool?

Not sure if I can add a thickness to the surface or if it acts as a surface only.

Thanks,
Shaun O

Hi, I do not know if I understand correctly. I use CATIA to work. but any program uses, 3D printers want closed volumes,usually in STL format. if inside CATIA can not give thickness to the surface,you can export your surface in STL format,and import it into software that works with the mesh,and find the command to a thickness on the surface. BLENDER is an open source,and the command is "solidify". for each command Blender there is a video on Youtube.

Thank you. That answers my question. I figured it would import as a dimensional-less mesh and the stl would not import the model correctly to print because it is a surface. I usually shell my designs in CATIA. I will look into importing into Blender or another software.

Solidworks 2014 & 15 allows you to add thickness. Once you create a surface you can use the "thicken" command. I did a quick sample. You can now work on it like an extruded surface.
Untitled-1.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 71
I guess I am going to see if the same function is in CATIA today. If not I may need to start learning Solid Works.

If you know Catia then solidworks is a walk in the park. I wish I had Catia Pro, its a beast!

In Catia i thought you could just offset your shape in GSD to give it a thickness?... i could be way wrong

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back