3D model to à pepkura template

nlschutd

hello,

i am bussy with gathering some info about getting a file from a picture ( 2d ) to a 3d model in autocad. is this possible? or do you need to build it from the ground up?

can i do it my self or do een need somebody to let it get made?

Last edited:
Re: auto cad 2d to 3d

Autocad is not really 3D friendly, I only use it for working drawings. You could build it up in 3D but i find autocad to be a rather slow process. For a lot of shapes (depending on what you are making) you will be using the pedit which is picky about what plan you drew the line on. I did a course in 3D autocad which was good but made me realise its shortcomings compared to dedicated 3D programs like Solidworks and Pro engineer.

If you need any specific details explained just ask.. As for 2D pic -> 3D model, you will have to get it done from scratch.

Re: 2D pic -> 3D model

i want to make a 1/2 scale model of the mark V armor but al i got is good pictures of it and nothing more. i was thinking to get the hot toys model scaned and get it printed bigger and from there of making it look good :p

hahaha, if only it was that easy:p.. althought if you just wanted the model and you had a good 3D scanner at your disposal you could export the files to a 4/5 axis CNC... I couldnt imagine it would be very cheap tho!

Do you just want this piece as a display piece?

yes want to creat/recreat this

images

thought they whould bring it up for sale but never happend.

Makerbot has a new 3d scanner kit for $50 (wow). You will need to edit the model and convert it to a format readable by the cnc software that you (or the company you choose to do the cnc) will be using.

i know have the 3d files but need to change the way the caracter stands how do i do this? or is it better to do it when you put it together

it needs to go from this

scaled.php

to this

scaled.php

Last edited:

I think you might be getting into something that's beyond your capabilities.

For one, having a 2D image won't allow you to make a 3D model. From what I can see in your last post you don't even have the 3D model, but an orthographic image.

Besides that--you do realize that 3D printing something that size with a reasonable detail is going to cost thousands of dollars right?

Maybe you are right Maybe its to big for what i can do. But i want tO try it. I thought if i could USe THE 3D max file and turn it in to à pepkura template i could go from there

You need a program that exports as .stl

Besides that for posing you would need to weight the mesh to a skeleton that you would then pose. In 3ds Max you'd use Biped.

Besides that, you need to make sure that there aren't any holes in the mesh, and that everything is the proper size which includes making sure that there's correct thickness on each part. Besides that, you would need to make it smoother because any face would end up as a facet (like a diamond) once it's printed. If the polygons aren't small enough then they'll show up in the 3D print.

I think THE 3D print whould be to expensive so à pep model whould be better but like i said THE file i have NOw is to messed up to USe i think once unpacked i cant realy get THE pièces together.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back