3D CAD Help

dorcphish

As the description says, I'm trying to replicate the shield from the new Superman Returns suit. As recent pictures have shown, there are tiny S shields all over the red and yellow fields that can't be accomplish it on a clay sculpture (short of making a texture stamp but the result wouldn't be look as precise or machined) I'm trying to think my way through the design in Autodesk Inventor but I can't figure out how to do the main bevel shown here:
shield2.jpg

Anybody have any idea how to go about this?

Can we see another angle of the original shield so I can check out that bevel? I was going to suggest lofting, but I'm not sure that can be done with so many complex curves. Surfacing is probably your only option. Still - nice job so far. :)

- Gabe

I didn't think to use the teaser poster. Thanks, TFrosst. The picture I posted was an official release image that I used to show the curve but I've been using a blown up picture of a straight on of Routh in costume as my guide. I don't really know of any images from a side view or anything but the lofting idea is good. Is there any way to wire frame? That might be our best bet.

I don't know why they didn't use the same symbol on the costume as the poster.

I think those little "s" imprints are kinda dumb.

Hi -

Are you trying to recreate my shield in a different 3D package? It was originally modeled in Rhino, because I wanted all the surfaces to have G2 continuity so the reflections would play off the surface properly, and that program lets me analyze for that sort of thing.

_Mike Verta

Mike, you do awesome work. It's an honor to have you among us. :)

I have a trial version of Rhino but haven't had much opportunity to use it yet. Are you also familiar with Ashlar Vellum and Form-Z? If you are, which among the three would you recommend for complex organic shapes for the purpose of product design - or perhaps a package I'm not familiar with? I use Pro/E, Inventor, and Solidworks for my basic engineering clients, but they're not very practical for this kind of work. I live in Ventura, by the way - where is your studio?

Thanks,

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Feb 20 2006, 06:40 PM
Mike, you do awesome work.  It's an honor to have you among us. :) Are you also familiar with Ashlar Vellum and Form-Z? I live in Ventura, by the way - where is your studio? - Gabe
[snapback]1189266[/snapback]​

Thanks for the kind words, Gabe.

I actually started out on Form-Z, long ago; haven't seen the others. I'm not sure which other package would be a good candidate... to be honest, this was extremely challenging to get right. My first version of the model got the shapes right, but not the surface continuity...

For 7 years, my post-production studio was located next to Universal Studios, but recently I built a smaller version in my home, so now everyone works remotely. Fraction of the overhead, a billion times more convenient and creative for all involved. Way of the future, I say...

_Mike

Amen, brother.

Had my own home office since '99 - never looked back. But it is nice to get out every now and then to work on-site and get my hands dirty... :)

I hear you on the complexity. Had I tried this on standard engineering 3D CAD apps, I'd be looking at multiple compound surfaces, tangent boundary conditions - all that fun stuff, and even then I'd run the risk of the program crashing. :p

- Gabe

It really is an honor to have you here Mike. I really like the design of supes new shield. It needed to depart from the old 2D stuff we have always seen. Great job.

Gabe,

I also use Solidworks and you should be able to get it to work with Solidworks with their new surface features.

We're in the process of switching from Solidworks to Rhino ourselves. It's a good package. I used it when they were still Beta testing the thing. haven't used it since so it will be interesting to switch back to it.

Order is coming from high on up in the corporate ladder. We want to use the two in conjunction with each other.

I have been following starwarslegacy.com for quite some time, and have quoted Mikes article on the use and misuse of colourcorrection in film on more than one opportunity.

Great work on the "S", but I think we can´t blame Mike for the logo looking a bit tiny on good newe Supes ;-)

So much talent compressed into one man. I wonder when Mike will explode... ;)

Michael

It's true... I had nothing to do with the logo implementation on the costume... :)

By the way, MFN, your signature is actually a misquote, but it's not your fault... the second "but" was never in there; it's stronger without it. Somebody edited it into my answer at the last second. This is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night, which oughta tell you something.

:)

Thanks again for all the kind words. You guys are gonna make me blush.

_Mike

Originally posted by mverta@Feb 21 2006, 03:44 PM

By the way, MFN, your signature is actually a misquote, but it's not your fault... the second "but" was never in there; it's stronger without it.  Somebody edited it into my answer at the last second.  This is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night, which oughta tell you something.

Mike, I was tempted to change that initally, but changing quotes is not too nice, so I left it. Will cahnge it immediately, felt completely wrong with the second but . :thumbsup for Mike Verta ;)

Michael

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back