37 1/2 inch (1/2 studio scale) TOS Battlestar Galactica scratchbuild #2

Lighting was taken into account when making the patterns. Head is 2 part hollow so it will be easy to drill holes for FOptics, same with the body. Engines are going to come with 5 diffuser plates (4 main and center small) that will act as LED holders + diffuse the light for a more natural appearance, rather than the LED "hotspot" I just need to find a good surrogate for the honeycomb grill, I have a few ideas.

thanks
mike

As already said I am in Mike.

When you find the time please post a pic of the parts, would be interesting to see what kind of lighting options we will have

Kostas

More mold making and test casting now that i am back from Jerseyfest. 1 lower landing bay, coffin, neck underside and bottom of the head, note that the parts are largely made so lights and fiber optics can be easily run. More mold being made this week.
thanks
mike

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 383
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 374
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 574
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 635
Sorry, made some room, if you sent a message in the last few days please resend, don't know what did or did not get thru...sorry.
mike

Getting closer, upper head test cast, last of the big landing bay parts, belly plate. The main body mold is done, and i am pouring the 2nd half of the engine support thingy today, that will wrap it up for the big stuff, just odds and ends at this point, pattern is 95+ percent done as well as the molds. Will start building test kit later this week.
thanks
mike

004_zpsdeb36f43.jpg

002_zpsfefdb4c8.jpg

010_zps331aa005.jpg

009_zps8b6a0395.jpg

Attachments

• 004_zpsdeb36f43.jpg
    004_zpsdeb36f43.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 204
I love it! It's a perfect size. It's big enough to make a very dramatic impression and accommodate the massive amount of details, and yet it's not too big for me to display in my house. Can't wait to get one - your proven reputation for awesome castings seals the deal for me Mike. So, thanks for making it available as a kit and please keep posting more pictures as you progress!

Dave

Last of the big parts, the mid engine support thingy. Actually a nice milestone in the kit as it does wrap up the big stuff, just odds and ends now. Also the engine insert, I will make a clear cast diffuser plate that will also act as an LED holder, this will be easy to light all around IMO.
mike

005_zps25dbdf1d.jpg

001_zps24399e35.jpg

Hi Mike,

You've knocked it so far out the park on this one, you're landing in a whole other ball game! - terrific job mate.

Nick

Thanks Nick, the parts you sent gave me that kick in the pants to finish a project that may have otherwise been stuck on the shelf for years, maybe never seeing the light of day. I do wish we could have tackled more parts, but time and the constraints of the shrinking technique made it a tough proposition for sure.

So just a last little bit before i head off today, setting up the build stand. This build will need to be flipped up and down a few times for lighting, building and painting, so using the usual gas pipe armature for the center mount that will allow me to easily work on this thing....I will be going over what i will be including hardware wise with the kit as i go along here, the armature stuff seen here will not be included.
thanks
mike

008_zps5afa5752.jpg

010_zps9dc669e3.jpg

011_zpsaeb18f4e.jpg

012_zpsb8d13e16.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back