37 1/2 inch (1/2 studio scale) TOS Battlestar Galactica scratchbuild #2

mslz22

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my second go around with a galactica this size. I have been working on this on and off for at least 4 years, but recently got a big boost with some help from member Gort (thanks very much Nick), he did some magic and shrunk down a handful of the key doner parts like the Roco tanks, the train parts, F1 body, and a handful of other useful parts. Almost everything else is a total compromise on the details, I've had some lengthy discussions with some of our resident galactica experts and have come the the conclusion that making a 3 foot build with with a detail by detail reproduction, is impractical at best, maybe impossible as it would drive most people to the funny farm. Maybe one day our 3d gurus here will be able to get all the greeblies 3d printed. For now here is what i have come up with, there are thousands of small details on this to really give it the correct sense of scale. Some attempts have been made to use kits that are available in 1/2 scale (ie 1/72nd leo has a 1/144 counterpart), and an attempt has been made to match up some good replacements (ie squre thingy, round thingy), and in other cases i just went with what looked right in the pile.

Further along than this now, but here is a preview, many molds are already made and i am averaging a couple of new molds per day. I expect this to be all molded up by end of Sept. then i can start on a build.
thanks
mike

Attachments

• 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,681
  • 006(1).JPG
    006(1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,239
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,059
For me at least, close is good enough. I know there are builders out there that are building, or have built this in studio scale and probably spent thousands of dollars on kits...maybe more, but when you're doing this in something other than studio scale, you can't be expected to be 100 percent accurate.
Your build is incredible. Looking forward to your progress.

TazMan2000

I am hoping to offer a few kits up, likely in mid Oct if all goes well. Test casts, including the Roco's, backplate, underside, arms, and the bracing frame that will hold the back engine section together
thanks
mike

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,507
More test casts, upper main engine section, trench forward of the coffin and the 2 upper halves of the landing bays.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 978
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 975
Awesome this is perfect!! I have been waiting for something like this to come along. Studio Scale was just too big and out of the budget, this is coming along nicely keep up the good work :)

Dan

I will keep price out of this thread but will say that I have talked with a handful of my fellow kit makers and that the target i have in mind is very reasonable for something this big and time consuming, in fact i am really going to be happy if i can just break even on the project.

As already said I am in Mike.

When you find the time please post a pic of the parts, would be interesting to see what kind of lighting options we will have

Kostas

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back