350th TOS "Ressurection"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underdog

Sr Member
Here we go.........=/\=.....Whoosh!

Oct the 5th 2006 I went out to my garage determined to build my own 1/350th TOS Enterprise. I had never scratch built a model in my life, this was my first. I had been contemplating this for some time, but finally had the time and the money and the garage. I built the garage from an old pole barn that was on the property and turned it into a two story, two bay garage complete with an attic and an office. At any rate, I wanted to do it with the simplest, cheapest, easiest materials and supplies available, so I started looking around the garage at what I had and contemplating what I needed.

What you will see in this thread is exactly how I created one of the most iconic ships in history with nothing more than paper, tape, glue, fiberglass and bondo.

That may not sound like a big deal around here, considering all of the talent, but this was before everyone was doing it. At least as far as I knew. Also, this was my first and I was using.... simple stuff. Below are a few pictures from the begining. As soon as I show where I started, I'll show where I'm at.

I don't want to spam the forum, so I will be waiting a short time between posts while I work on the 50" Refit, the 1:1 Cylon, the Forced Perspective Fleet and so on.

Underdog

Found it...
I look forware to seeing your work..
Looks great so far..
Thaks again from an old TOS man,for what you do.

Underdog

Found it...
I look forware to seeing your work..
Looks great so far..
Thaks again from an old TOS man,for what you do.

You're more than welcome, but really, I don't anything any more cool than what the rest of you guys do. I'm just glad to actually have a place to show my work after five years. Really.

..... After I had the main engineering hull cast in fiberglass using nothing more than screen door mesh and paper, I started working on the upper and lower primary hull.... I built up the frames as shown earlier and lay the mesh over it and coated it with the resin, then began to lay down pre-cut strips of paper to help smooth everything out and keep the contour. I then covered all of the parts with layers of bondo and began hand sculpting all of the parts. They really look awefull here, but this is really how it happened. I did a lot of hand sanding and shaping. I then marked the centerlines on the engineering hull and set it in sand and pour plaster over it after using Pam cooking oil as a mold release., then I flipped it over and cleaned it off and cast the other side. At this point I hadn't used anything but household goods and some bondo and fiberglass I bought at Wal-Mart. All of this was well before I started working with Vaderman, Crashman and Hotshot of AW Studios.
Thus far everything was based off of Alan Sinclair's blueprints and a cardstock model that Ron Caudillo had made.

While working on the TOS parts, one day I decided to make up a base, or two. I was trying out different ideas and came up withe several. I use paper mache' to create a planet, in particular Mars. Since you see what appears to be Mars in the original flyby, I thought that might be an appropriate choice.
After I had sanded and smoothed and shaped all of the parts I sent them off to AW Studios who had offered to work with me and do the vacuum forming. Later they would help out a lot on other things. While they were vacuum forming the main parts I was working out some of the other details and coming up with ancilliary item to go with the model. I came up with a very nice brass engraved dedication plaque and some other items and came up with a couple of more bases (Not yet shown). Additionally, I started working out some of the electronics to go with the ship. I know some of these parts still look rough, but whole the masters were off I decided to use what I had on hand to do some experimentation. When I got the first set of masters back, I immediately started looking at what needed to be changed and what we could do to improve the ship as it was.

At this time I had gotten the first set of Vac pulls from AW Studios, so I decided that I had to start work on the ship and see exactly where we need to make changes to the masters to compensate for the thickness of the poly-styrene. We used .080 simply because by this time someone had gotten a kitbash kit out and had used .020-.040 and it just wasn't strong enough without an elaborate inner support structure to hold it's shape, not to mention the fact that from what I heard the quality of the parts were not all that much to write home about. But I digress. Whole I was working on the build someone from one of the forums told me that I had to have an inner support structure.......???? To me this went against everything I knew about engineering. If the parts are made properly, you do not need an inner support structure. I don't want to get into the engineering of it, but it's just not neccesary. How many styrene kits have you built that had inner support structures? If the material is of the proper thickness and the design is of the appropriate nature, the model will support itself and the the stress areas can be designed in such a way as to make the whole stronger. Look at an egg, does it have an inner support structure? No! and if you hold one in your palm you cannot crush it, because the force is equally distributed throughout the egg. At any rate, I decided to prove me point through the use of visual aids and started stacking phone books on top of the unsupported parts of the ship.
As you can see, I came up with a couple more bases, some laser etched parts for dressing, or to be used as small bases for small ships and laser cut, or etch parts.

After I had worked on the original prototype vac pulls, it became obvious that there were a couple of things that needed to be corrected. I had made the lower primary hull out of material that when a heavy vacuum was pulled on it by Crashman, the master collapsed and there were waves in the first couple of pulls. Vaderman and Crashman of AW Studios filled one of the better pulls with resin to form a new master and sent it to me to shape it some more and add the three rings and the triangular shapes to the hull and add some more detail to the other parts. At that point I got out my trusty sanding block and went to town. Later I pulled out my drafting materials and started plotting out the new details. After all of that was done I started back on the original build. I'm still working with the original pulls, but have made some changes and corrections. I have to thank the crew over at AW Studios for putting up with all the flakk they caught while working with me to get this right. Unfortunately, people that had nothing to do with this project interjected themselves into the issue for the express reason to shut me down and ensure that this ship never saw the light of day. Additionally, they attacked everyone that supported me in any way and to directly quote them.... "I'm going to make it my mission in life to shut him down!"

For anyone to be so filled with hatered and angst toward another that they would use their position and the "Star Trek Webring" to attempt to manipulate others and spread lies and rumors and innuendo to attempt to smash someone else dream, or crush their project and start flash bombs and trash someone all over the net and involve others in their self appointed mission is just unfathomable to me.

Moving forward.... This ship kit never did see the light of day and I will not sell any of the kits that I have left. I will however give some away and I will on occasion make custom kits for certain people, but I'm currently in a verbal agreement with AW Studios to work with them on their ship and frankly the 50" Refit is a more important project at this time. I am going to follow through with this build to the end and show what was possible and show how the modeling community was robbed of any chance at this kit because of one person. This may seem boorish, but I think the truth needs to be told.

This person ran around telling everyone that I had no talent and that I could not do anything and not to trust me and they were foolish for working with me. He used his small positin in life to lie about me, my skill, my business and to harrasse anyone that backed me.

Thus I've also provided links to some of my other work, movies, art, etc....
I never stopped working on any of the projects I was engaged in and have in fact taught myself a lot about a lot of different things in the intervening years.

Never let anyone stop you from doing what's in your heart and mind to do!

If anyone is offended that I have taken the narrative after five years+ I feel I have every right to set the record straight. This is not meant to inflame, or offend, but I really feel that the truth has to come out. The truth about what I can do, about what really happened and about the project and everything that followed.

After this I'll be showing right where I left off and will show the new parts and the completed build. I'm tempted when it's done to put it in front of a green screen and do some flybys.

Besides the photos above, here are some links to me blog, my other work, my youtube channel and other points of interest.

Keep on Trekkin! =/\=

This will be updated shortly and edited....

KTM's Depot47 Ship Builder

These are card models that I've worked on in the last year to give something back to the card modeling community.

MTK's Card Craft

This shows more of the work on this ship....

1-350th TOS Part 1.wmv - YouTube

Just one of the dioramas I've made.

Diorama.wmv - YouTube

The one to one Cylon WIP....

1 to 1 Hand Crafted Cylon WIP Movie 1.wmv - YouTube

The Refit I've been reconstructing....

One Half Studio Scale Refit Reconstruction.wmv - YouTube

My most recent Art Movie....

Quirk's Art 3 - YouTube

A Tribute video I made...

Trek Odyssey 2010 - YouTube

A surrealistic TOS video I made. This is a WIP for a future demonstration.

TOS WIP-2.wmv - YouTube

Electronics video one....

Electronics Developement.wmv - YouTube

Star Trek Insights.

Star Trek Insights.wmv - YouTube

I would hope that the modeling community would work together to keep this type of thing from ever happening to another member again. You may not like what someone has to say and you may not like what they have to say, but to allow someone to stalk other modelers and harrasse them and their associates and smash their dreams and their work and their perspective business....

Underdog

First of thank you fore the great intro to you life work.
Your story has such a great life lesson to tell.It sad-ins me to know all the trouble you
have goon through to get to here.I believe everyone has a journey in
this life.Sometime you have to deal with very bad people.Those people will do
everything in there power to keep you down.I have tagged these so called people
as spawns of satin.
I tell my children.You will meet people in your live(spawns of satin).They might
start of as a friend,teacher,lover,relative or just someone you see on the street.
Them like you said they make it there goal to ruin your life.These people truly
are THE SPAWN OF SATIN.They thrive on kayos.There job is to bring you and
everyone you know down.Its this kind of inhumanity toward our fellow man that
sad ins my Sol and heart.They will be there own undoing in time.I believe that
GOD has a since of humor.What goes around comes around ten fold.
I just tell people when you have to deal with people like this Reilly all the good people
you know around you to fight the evil.
I know I don't know you that well but I feel we have a kindred spirits.This time right now
was meant to be.I for one would be homered to stand bye your side in this our fight against the SPAWNS OF SATIN.
Again thank you for allowing me to be a part of your hard work.I only hope I can give it
the great justice it deserves.

Your friend
Paul/kahn1701

Well, I really and sincerely appreciate the sentiments, I really do.
I don't know that the guy is the spawn of Satan, but he's definately
got issues. Can't understand how the guy can be a moderator...???

I've attached a few photos of the current shape of the TOS. This ship
has been dropped and moved around for years now and I have stripped
it down twice, once to make some corrections and add electronics
and once to rework the nacelle for production. Considering what this
ship has need through..... So much for needing an inner support structure.

While I was out in the garage today I dug out some more of the old detail
parts and a couple of the masters. I'm going to be making some corrections
and adding some detail and creating a whole new impulse engine just for
you. I have to get back with my laser guy tomorrow, I thought the new
inner nacelle detail was in the shipment of laser parts that I got last week, but when I inventoried everything I found that that and another part was
missing. With the Holiday I was unable to get through to my laser guy.
So, I have to get on that and get it going. I'm sending the same part to AW Studios and using a larger version for the 47" TOS. I paid a friend of mine
to work it out in Lightwave while I was working on everything else. Unfortunately, as a result of the afforementioned jerk, he wants to remain
anonymous.

"You are alike you and I, in a differnt time I could have called you friend" (Romulan Commander, or Melllvar depending on your point of view) Just kidding.

"The greatest obstacle men of real intellect will face is that of small minds." (Einstein)

"We (I) will fight!... (Winston Chruchhill)

"From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee..." Captain Ahab, or Kahn, take your pick! LOL!

"Ramming Speed, We'll give them all we've got then we'll get out and throw rocks." (paraphrased from Admiral Adama.)

"When you've done all that you can do... Stand" The Holy Bible.

"Fret not when your enemies lie about you and despitefully use you, for did they not do more to our Lord and Saviour?" The Holy Bible.

Underdog

First of thank you fore the great intro to you life work.
Your story has such a great life lesson to tell.It sad-ins me to know all the trouble you
have goon through to get to here.I believe everyone has a journey in
this life.Sometime you have to deal with very bad people.Those people will do
everything in there power to keep you down.I have tagged these so called people
as spawns of satin.
I tell my children.You will meet people in your live(spawns of satin).They might
start of as a friend,teacher,lover,relative or just someone you see on the street.
Them like you said they make it there goal to ruin your life.These people truly
are THE SPAWN OF SATIN.They thrive on kayos.There job is to bring you and
everyone you know down.Its this kind of inhumanity toward our fellow man that
sad ins my Sol and heart.They will be there own undoing in time.I believe that
GOD has a since of humor.What goes around comes around ten fold.
I just tell people when you have to deal with people like this Reilly all the good people
you know around you to fight the evil.
I know I don't know you that well but I feel we have a kindred spirits.This time right now
was meant to be.I for one would be homered to stand bye your side in this our fight against the SPAWNS OF SATIN.
Again thank you for allowing me to be a part of your hard work.I only hope I can give it
the great justice it deserves.

Your friend
Paul/kahn1701

Again thank you for all your hard work.
I'm got room on my work station,now that
most of the parts are on my BIG E.
I believe I have everything I need.
After the BIG E I have Plenty of paint,putty
and a new UFX light system ready to go..

There's no need to keep thanking me. I can't wait to get it all together and send you a kit to review and tell exactly what you think of it. This could have been available to the community a long time ago. I have to find some moreof the parts and pick out the best and assemble a kit.... I've moved so much
around in the garage the last couple of years, through various phases of construction that I've msplaced some of the detail parts. I dug out JT Graphics decals and still need to get ahold of JT, for pricing for you. I will be packaging everything for the 350th Refit parts on Tuesday and getting everything ready to ship, so look for an e-mail from me.

Again thank you for all your hard work.
I'm got room on my work station,now that
most of the parts are on my BIG E.
I believe I have everything I need.
After the BIG E I have Plenty of paint,putty
and a new UFX light system ready to go..

OK, here are some photos of the orignal masters and some of the new parts, as well as the pattern that I'm still waiting to get back from the laser cutter.
I pulled out six of the nacelle domes that I got back from AW Studios a few years ago, I'll pick out the best two to send you. I've pulled out the upper and lower primary hull vacuum buck as well as the engineering vacuum bucks and I'll be reworking all of them a bit before casting them to make the clear cast. I'm still looking for some of the details and I know there are a couple I'm going to need to totally recraft, as they just are not here, or the ones I have are warped from the heat this summer. BTW, thos last couple of shots is my friend comparing the vacuum bucks and parts against the MR as soon as it came out. Not bad for working from the Sinclair blueprints and the measurements of the studio model I guess......:lol=/\=

You have brought her to life at 350 size. I'm just amazed at the work.
I'm a very technical minded person.To me its the little perfections that make it.
It shows the real love in what your doing.You like Steve make it
passable for some one like me to be a part of something meaningfully.
This has been a dream of mine since I was a kid.To show what I can build with
the help of a few great artist.
Looking forward too the work your going to do here and the work
I'll be doing on your creation.

OK OK I'll stop blabing..
On with the show....

Paul/kahn1701

Let me know if there are any detail parts that I can assist you with. Between us, I am sure we can get a full kit out of it.

This is exactly why I started this five years ago. 1) To make one myself and 2) to provide a basic kit to people that would appreciate it and enjoy building it. I didn't do any of this to urinate in someones cheerios, but that seems to be the way it was taken. At any rate, I'm really happy to be putting a kit together for you. Just think, other than Scott and I, you'll be the only that has one. Woohoo!

You have brought her to life at 350 size. I'm just amazed at the work.
I'm a very technical minded person.To me its the little perfections that make it.
It shows the real love in what your doing.You like Steve make it
passable for some one like me to be a part of something meaningfully.
This has been a dream of mine since I was a kid.To show what I can build with
the help of a few great artist.
Looking forward too the work your going to do here and the work
I'll be doing on your creation.

OK OK I'll stop blabing..
On with the show....

Paul/kahn1701

Let me know if there are any detail parts that I can assist you with. Between us, I am sure we can get a full kit out of it.
Thanks Scott, I know I've got a little box of the best parts I set aside some time ago, but after all of the fallderall and work on the garage..... I'm still looking for it. If I get bogged down, I'll send you a list and we'll get Paul everything he needs! Whoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back