32'' Millennium Falcon photogrammetry.

devi1sdoz3n

A long time ago I've posted a thread about reconstructing the 32'' Millennium Falcon studio model.
I've finally caught enough free time (and unearthed enough reference photos) to work some more on it, and here are some results.
The preliminary reconstruction of the top is done, I'm working on the bottom (a bit harder, as there are less photos available).
This project will take a long time though, as I have little free time. I will post more as I go along.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 618
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 539
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 502
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 558
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 487
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 611
  • 10a.jpg
    10a.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 472
  • 9a.jpg
    9a.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 467
  • 8a.jpg
    8a.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 468
  • 7a.jpg
    7a.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 1,278
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 826
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 433
  • 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 478
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 452
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 477
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 510
  • 12a.jpg
    12a.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 452
  • 11a.jpg
    11a.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 533
My question is... when they did the scan, they used a white light scan... why didn't they just do a 360 Laser scan of the entire ship in .0001 increments? I can understand using the hite light scan for the paint job, but the minut details would have been picked up alot better if it was laser scanned would it not?

Very nice devi1sdoz3n, what are you using to do the photogrammetry? I am interested in doing this as well.

...would you mind a favor? I know your scan is a work in progress but could you post high-rez shots of the scan directly from the top and bottom in orthographic views (no perspective)? It would would be ever so helpful in working up my plans...

I look forward to seeing you complete this!

imurme

I'm sorry, I'm just not convinced after seeing those "scans" above. They look awefully grainy and missing alot of data in alot of areas. Some areas seem to be just washed out. Maybe it's just me... I dunno!

Phorogrammetry isn't a scan, it's taking multiple photos and working out a 3D shape based on them[/h]It's the same way you see depth, or that xbox add-on 'see' you movements.

L

Last edited by a moderator:
LrdSatyr8, these are not scans, they are photogrammetry solutions from the highest quality photos I could find on the web. As close to the scan as I can get without having access to the real model, which is not at all likely... :D
This is not meant to be a detailed model like say Steve Starkiller makes, but as precise a reference as I can humanly make with the photos I've got. I can then use it to make precise plans, similar to what the other guys did with the 5 foot Falcon in the other thread.
The point is that this is not an interpretation, but a pretty accurate mathematical reconstruction. The grey photos show the actual extracted 3D shape, the ones in color have the extracted texture applied.
I am already seing interesting things, like asymmetries in the model where you wouldn't expect them.

Thorsten, I use Agisoft PhotoScan and am testing Acute3D Smart3DCapture free version. For now, Photoscan seems to be better for the general camera alignment, but Smart3DCapture blows it away for model reconstruction. Unfortunately, I can only look at the model with the free version. I'll probably buy the basic version of the software if I get results I am happy with (and for now it seems I will).

Nice results!

I'm also interested in looking at other photogrammetry solutions (in addition to Photoscan).

But, the tricky thing about any image-based tool/technique is that the results can easily be misleading. Issues like lens distortion, exposure, grain/noise, depth of field and the degree of parallax triangulation can all multiply to either help a solve - or not.

I found with the ANH MF survey project that I needed 3 different data inputs, so to speak, to help corroborate any single tool's results:

- Donor kit parts (the most important, IMHO)
- 3D discreet feature point tracking (this allowed for wireframe lineups to confirm edges, corners, discrete features etc.)
- 3D photogrammetry (this allowed for surface comparisons and trends - i.e. the hull dome)

The three together, dovetailed nicely - at least for me!

But, of course, there are many different ways up a mountain...

Regards,

Andre

Last edited:
Ok... now I understand a bit better... basically you're stitching together all the different hi-res photos of the Falcon to generate a 3D model right? You know I've got a bunch of links to a huge collection of actual hi-res photos of the falcon... from photos taken of the actual 32" that were taken while it was on tour in the Star Wars exhibits. If you're interested that is.

Thanks for the answer!

In principle it should be possible to measure a camera's lens distortion by photographing for example a raster grid like on a student's notebook and analyse the lines in the picture. Can such a calibration be done with existing software? I assume that if the lens parameters could be fixed for the reconstruction it would lead to much more stable results...

Thorsten

Most lens distortion can be corrected using the Brown–Conrady's distortion model. Stay away from wide and fish eye lens. You can also calibrate as you describe and save calibration files per lens.

Ok... now I understand a bit better... basically you're stitching together all the different hi-res photos of the Falcon to generate a 3D model right? You know I've got a bunch of links to a huge collection of actual hi-res photos of the falcon... from photos taken of the actual 32" that were taken while it was on tour in the Star Wars exhibits. If you're interested that is.

I would be interested in these photos as well, could I get copies? I'll PM you my email.

imurme

Thorst,
yes, it is posible to calibrate the lens, but I am using images I collected from all over the net so I can't do that. Right now I am using the largest images I have (around 3000 pixels on the longer side is the lowest I am willing to go for the pictures of the whole Falcon) with camera settings in the Exif. So I am depending on the software to deal with the lens distortion. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

Andre,
of course, you are right. I will have to check and double check everything in more ways. This is just the first step.
It is actually your wonderful work with the 5 foot Falcon that inspired me to get back to this (I like the 32" model proportions more - heresy, I know :D - that's why I'm working on it- And it's a challenge to see if I can do this to my satisfaction)

Chris

Hm, don't know what happened there, they were visible for a time.
Here goes again.

Attachments

• 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 412
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 349
  • 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 322
  • 4b.jpg
    4b.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 307
  • 5b.jpg
    5b.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 355
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back