32" Falcon WIP *update - Docking Corridors Started* 17/03

JBReplicas

Sr Member
Sometime last year I was at home, off work sick with a raging fever when I stumbled upon Phil's incredible Falcon build, being heavily medicated at the time I thought to myself 'I'd like to have a go at one of them' so here we are :facepalm

I have used 1.5mm Styrene sheets, big ones, to cut out the 2 main shapes, using the remaining material I am currently adding a bit of support here and there to the lower section, whilst also beginning to add the ribs to the upper section of the hull, I have also marked out and begun cutting out the maintenance trenches, this will be a fun build but also a very slow one, I already have far too many projects but this is one I will just be working on every now and then, any comments/suggestions/cries of what the **** were you thinking are most welcome :thumbsup

Last edited:
Re: 32" Falcon WIP

Thank you very much, I envy your use of a laser cutter, I'm affraid all my parts are done by hand, I do take my time though which I think will be the moto of this project, I'm concentrating on strengthening the structure at the moment, so it doesn't bend when its moved...

Actually, I envy you guys who scribe by hand! I've gotten spoiled over the past three years but it's all coming to an end. I'm actually thinking of hand scribing the hulls anyway depending on how much trouble I have getting my three pieces to stay flat.

I hear ya about the inner support. I'm not too worried about weight so I'll will probably go overboard on the support.

Joe

my thoughts exactly, there can't be too much support in my opinion, i'm looking forward to getting the hull skins on.

Yep, that's what I like to see, more madness !! l:behave

You do realise that the padded room awaits...:love

Nah, seriously, more please, great stuff..(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Phil

Thanks Phil, well you do realise this is all your fault :lol

I've made some progress since these first shots, all the ribs on the top section are fitted, just trying to decide between .75mm or .50mm styrene for the top hull plates..

More photos soon :thumbsup

I'm definitely not the expert here but I've gathered .040" (1mm) sheet was used for the hull. That's what I based my calcs for based off of the Maruska drawings.

Joe

Thanks Phil, well you do realise this is all your fault :lol

I've made some progress since these first shots, all the ribs on the top section are fitted, just trying to decide between .75mm or .50mm styrene for the top hull plates..

More photos soon :thumbsup

I believe the hull plate was around the same thickness as the are plating. There was a few post talking about the hull thinkness. Can't remember if it was in Phils or someone else's

I've decided to go with the 0.75 I am doing it in 4 sections per side and I think it will have just the right amount of give to take the curvature of the hull, at least that is what I am hoping, making this up as I go...

Yep, that's what I like to see, more madness !! l:behave

You do realise that the padded room awaits...:love

Nah, seriously, more please, great stuff..(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Phil

Well, I hope there's a "Group Rate" on that padded room! :wacko

Very nice work with the ribs, someday I hope to start mine, I'm just 13 known kits away from giving it a go. I'll certainly be keeping tabs on your build up CommanderCody.

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Thank you very much, I envy your use of a laser cutter, I'm affraid all my parts are done by hand, I do take my time though which I think will be the moto of this project, I'm concentrating on strengthening the structure at the moment, so it doesn't bend when its moved...

I'll be using 1 inch square aluminum tubing and round aircraft aluminum tubing to cover that issue.

Sounds great, I am using 2 lengths of 1" abs pipe running from the end of the mandibles to the rear of the ship, plus whatever else I can find, it needs to be sturdy

thanks all, I've got the main support tubes epoxied in, its nice and sturdy but being extra cautious I am also installing a few more support beams made from 1" plywood, after that I'll be ready to finish off the maintenance trenches and put the lid on it :thumbsup

So, I had a bit of a crisis of confidence with this, have I bitten of more than I can chew? So I let the model sit for a while, whilst I busied myself with other projects, now I'm itching to get back at it so hopefully there'll be some progress soon

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back