32" Falcon WIP *update - Docking Corridors Started* 17/03

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by JBReplicas, Apr 15, 2012.

1. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sometime last year I was at home, off work sick with a raging fever when I stumbled upon Phil's incredible Falcon build, being heavily medicated at the time I thought to myself 'I'd like to have a go at one of them' so here we are :facepalm

I have used 1.5mm Styrene sheets, big ones, to cut out the 2 main shapes, using the remaining material I am currently adding a bit of support here and there to the lower section, whilst also beginning to add the ribs to the upper section of the hull, I have also marked out and begun cutting out the maintenance trenches, this will be a fun build but also a very slow one, I already have far too many projects but this is one I will just be working on every now and then, any comments/suggestions/cries of what the f**k were you thinking are most welcome :thumbsup

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Re: 32" Falcon WIP

I've just started my build, too. Yours looks awesome so far, I'll be taking notes!

Joe

trooper likes this.
  3. JBReplicas

Thank you very much, I envy your use of a laser cutter, I'm affraid all my parts are done by hand, I do take my time though which I think will be the moto of this project, I'm concentrating on strengthening the structure at the moment, so it doesn't bend when its moved...

4. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Actually, I envy you guys who scribe by hand! I've gotten spoiled over the past three years but it's all coming to an end. I'm actually thinking of hand scribing the hulls anyway depending on how much trouble I have getting my three pieces to stay flat.

I hear ya about the inner support. I'm not too worried about weight so I'll will probably go overboard on the support.

Joe

5. JBReplicas

my thoughts exactly, there can't be too much support in my opinion, i'm looking forward to getting the hull skins on.

6. tk1608

tk1608 Sr Member

Yep, that's what I like to see, more madness !! l:behave

You do realise that the padded room awaits...:love

Nah, seriously, more please, great stuff..(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Phil

7. JBReplicas

Thanks Phil, well you do realise this is all your fault :lol

I've made some progress since these first shots, all the ribs on the top section are fitted, just trying to decide between .75mm or .50mm styrene for the top hull plates..

More photos soon :thumbsup

8. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

I'm definitely not the expert here but I've gathered .040" (1mm) sheet was used for the hull. That's what I based my calcs for based off of the Maruska drawings.

Joe

9. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I believe the hull plate was around the same thickness as the are plating. There was a few post talking about the hull thinkness. Can't remember if it was in Phils or someone else's

10. JBReplicas

I've decided to go with the 0.75 I am doing it in 4 sections per side and I think it will have just the right amount of give to take the curvature of the hull, at least that is what I am hoping, making this up as I go...

11. JBReplicas

Heres a small update, not much but baby steps :lol

12. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Serious envy over here, thats some nice clean work.

lee

13. Scratchy

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Well, I hope there's a "Group Rate" on that padded room! :wacko

Very nice work with the ribs, someday I hope to start mine, I'm just 13 known kits away from giving it a go. I'll certainly be keeping tabs on your build up CommanderCody.

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

14. Scratchy

Scratchy Well-Known Member

I'll be using 1 inch square aluminum tubing and round aircraft aluminum tubing to cover that issue.

15. JBReplicas

Sounds great, I am using 2 lengths of 1" abs pipe running from the end of the mandibles to the rear of the ship, plus whatever else I can find, it needs to be sturdy

16. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Cool love that last pic with the ribs!:thumbsup

17. JBReplicas

thanks all, I've got the main support tubes epoxied in, its nice and sturdy but being extra cautious I am also installing a few more support beams made from 1" plywood, after that I'll be ready to finish off the maintenance trenches and put the lid on it :thumbsup

18. bondfan2000

bondfan2000 New Member

Whoa, that is awesome.

19. JBReplicas

So, I had a bit of a crisis of confidence with this, have I bitten of more than I can chew? So I let the model sit for a while, whilst I busied myself with other projects, now I'm itching to get back at it so hopefully there'll be some progress soon

20. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Very nice clean ones at that:thumbsup

21. JBReplicas

Back on this now after clearing some major space in my work area, I hope to have some new photos to share soon...:thumbsup

22. peza

peza Active Member

eh up buddy,welcome to the mad house!!!this build will test ya patience,i`m 3/4 years in and still goin.i`m buildin the legs at the mo and there must to over 3 hundred bits in each one...so i can feel ya pain mym8..peza

23. JBReplicas

Hi mate

I've been following your build it looks amazing! Right now I am having trouble with the skins, I have cut a template but it just wont sit flush, when I tape it down to test fit it lifts up and warps, the test piece is 0.75mm styrene which is what I was planning to use to skin, any advice guys?

24. JBReplicas

Here is what I mean, you can probably just see the section lifting, as if the ribs aren't all flush, but they are :facepalm :lol

[​IMG]

25. JBReplicas

Re: 32" Falcon WIP *update - advice on skins please*

I'm now considering using 8 'pizza' slices per side hoping that'll offer a bit more control when it comes to getting the form right, any tips are gratefully appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  26. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Sorry I can't offer good advice as I gave yet to get to this point on my build. However, I planned on using 4 pieces. I imagine the least amount of pieces, the easier to control the shape. Either way, it would seem that as long as the ribs are good, the amount of sheets on tip shouldn't matter too much.....as long as you don't mind covering uo more seams.

Your build is looking awesome, BTW.

Joe

27. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Love seeing this model grow from sheet and ribs each time, never tire of it, keep it coming!

lee

28. JBReplicas

Thanks guys, I think I've got it to work out now, after speaking to Phil I have just lightly sanded the tops of the ribs to make double sure they are as flush as they can be, then I taped down my test skin but used a shed load more tape, there are a few small parts where it lifts but once I am using the glue as well as the tape I am confident it will work......honestly :confused

29. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Yeah, maybe running a flat sanding block, lightly along the ribs, id bet any burring will show a lift in the plate, then CA is your friend, should lock it down hard......wish you well with this, always get a buzz, and a bit of envy when i see a new styrene Falcon hull :lol.

lee

30. JBReplicas

@Lee yes that is exactly what I used, a medium grit sanding block, worked a treat. For me there aren't enough hours in the day that I could spend on this, working 7-5:30 at my 'real job' doesn't leave me with much energy on most days though

31. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

I know what you mean bud, just got done with my new model/hobby area so im good to go now, but having a few weeks away from it all has made me wonder how i did fit in any building, just busy all the darn time, man chores :lol, i swear, im buying the wife a Dewalt for Christmas!

32. peza

peza Active Member

eh up buddy,the trouble i had was getting all the skins to meet up with the ribs was a nightmare.if i every build one again i`d make the ribs really think and the skins i`d make into 8ths with filler in the gaps mym8!
    but hey that`s just me!...peza

33. ProfKSergeev

ProfKSergeev Well-Known Member

The problem is that you're trying to make a flat, fairly rigid piece of plastic conform to a compound curve. This is physically impossible. Using smaller "pie segments" will help lessen the distortion, however.

34. JBReplicas

Yes I can't see how it would ever be a perfect fit, but having seen others do it in the past I know it can be done, at this stage it is just the basic structure, loads more to go on top of it. Saying that though I am still tempted to make it into 8 pieces per side. A good nights sleep will help, I will no doubt be dreaming of compound curves, hopefully of the Kate Beckinsale variety

35. ProfKSergeev

That's the ticket!

36. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

8 'pizza' slice would be my recommendation. When I attempted it I tried in quarters and had the same issues. Even rebuilt all ribs and ended the same with the effect

37. tk1608

tk1608 Sr Member

Hey Joe,

Looks pretty good to me..
    If you add a styrene strip around the center glued to the ribs, that'll give a bit of strength to the ribs,..stop them moving from side to side, but will also give more space to tape the skin down..

Sorta like this
    [​IMG]

Then you can tape that sucker down all the way round..like this..
    [​IMG]
    It also gives a slightly more level area at the top of the dish for the turret to sit on..

If there's still a bit of bounce in the skins in the center area, you can fix that when you cut the pits out and add walls to them, that also helps to hold the skins down..
    Like this..
    [​IMG]
    Lovin your work mate, it's comin on a treat :cool:thumbsup

Cheers

Phil

38. JBReplicas

Cheers Phil, I am much more confident that I can make it work now, I will do what you said and fit a ring in to the centre of the ribs, it will definitely help when taping down the skins, thanks for all comments and suggestions guys

39. JBReplicas

Ok now I am considering using 1mm styrene for the skins, I think it might give a bit of extra stability as the .75 is very flexible and I wouldn't want it warping at a later date, hmm lots of thinking involved in this build.

40. JBReplicas

Well I bit the bullet and have started fitting the skins, I am sticking with .75mm thickness and doing it in 8 segments per side, got 2 fixed down over the weekend, another 2 tonight hopefully, I will try and get some photos up later

41. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Can't wait to see pics!

Joe

42. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Look forward to seeing your progress Cody.

lee

43. JBReplicas

Ok sorry guys, I didn't post photos, I'm a bad person, but I promise I'll have some up tonight :cool

44. JBReplicas

Update

Here are some skins going on, basically I am doing 1 or 2 a night, depending on how well they go on, so far this is 2 nights work, enjoy :thumbsup

[​IMG]

45. JBReplicas

And another, working on getting smaller photos :lol

[​IMG]

46. ProfKSergeev

Re: 32" Falcon WIP *update - Fitting Skins!!!* 19/12

You're single-handedly keeping the drafting tape and clothespin industries alive!

47. JBReplicas

And proud of it!

48. Talkierg

Talkierg Well-Known Member

Cant wait to see kit bashing on this beauty,looking good so far and looking forward to this:thumbsup

49. JBReplicas

And another skin fitted, 1/4 of the way there now! what fun! :cool

[​IMG]

50. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Re: 32" Falcon WIP *update - Fitting Skins!!!* 21/12

Any skin left from using all the tape? Keep going! Looks awesome! :)