3-foot Rodger Young?

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by star-art, Aug 9, 2015.

1. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Chronicle Collectibles announced some time ago they are releasing a 3-foot Rodger Young from Starship Troopers. Apparently this is out of the studio molds so it's studio scale, mastered by Fon Davis.

Previously their site or FB page (can't remember which) said something about starting pre-orders in June. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any updates since that announcement. Has anyone heard about the availability of this model?

Thanks!

2. wizardofthenorth

wizardofthenorth Active Member

3. McGraph

McGraph Active Member

The still haven't mentioned it for more than a month. Good to have more info on it. Thank you star art.

4. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Just talked to the man himself. Still on but delayed for a bit. Hope this one makes it to market!

5. wizardofthenorth

I didn't see any mention in the above posting that this is from a studio mold. Is there any reference to a 3 footer? I know of 6", 18", 9', 18' models. I have castings of the 6" and 18" myself, plus the tiny drop ships and fighters.

6. wizardofthenorth

7. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Here is a post from Facebook back in September of 2014:

8. dtssyst

dtssyst Well-Known Member

I would like to know more!

zorg likes this.
  9. wizardofthenorth

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    McGraph likes this.
  10. McGraph

McGraph Active Member

Talked to fon davis today at dragon con and asked him about the kit. He said with chronicles getting the terminator genisys licence that the model was pushed back but that it is still planned.

11. jontom

jontom Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Reading that vfxhq article is like stepping in a time machine!

I worked on the Rodger Young shots at SPI, one of the most fun movies ever to work on.

star-art likes this.
  12. star-art

star-art Sr Member

The 3-foot Roger Young kit will be available for pre-order in about a week, according to the latest post on Facebook by Chronicle. What's not clear is what "pre-order" actually means. From what I understand, you pre-pay for the kit and it takes 4-6 weeks to make one for you. So, I guess it's really "made to order."

Lee S likes this.
  13. belleauwood

belleauwood Well-Known Member

14. Duncanator

Duncanator Sr Member

I'm surprised they are producing it for only $650. I worked on the patterns for this 3 foot model at ILM with Fon, and it used a LOT of resin, and there are a lot of parts. It's very labor intensive to build.

15. dtssyst

Order placed :D

16. McGraph

McGraph Active Member

So pretty, but I have to many projects and not enough time for them.

17. belleauwood

Ok, since I'm getting ready for this lovely to arrive, I have been digging through all my reference and screencaps and coming up with a "list" of all the "seen"/"official" Rodger Young Class/Type Corvettes. I'm going to share what I have as far as what I think is confirmed info by screen caps, filming photos, etc . . . as in a lot of work over a long time in the hopes that finally this info can be set and laid to rest. Anyone with ANYTHING to add is welcome.

So far, this is what I have . . .

Known ships
    Name Ship ID Color Type
    Frank Is Love 125 Blue? Troop
    Mitchell 132 Blue
    Hale 133
    Denim 137 Tan Tac ?
    Yamamoto 138 D Blue
    Hood 156 Troop
    Giap 159 D Blue Troop
    Cromwell 175 TAC
    Rodger Young 176 Blue Troop
    Fairfield 178 Tan Special Freight (Command?)
    Boxer 182 Tan TAC
    Geronimo 185
    Greg Jein 193
    Bull Run 195 Blue Troop
    198 Green Troop

Can anyone out there fill in the blanks on the color, type, or even the ship name in a couple of cases? So far I am stumped on finishing this list so any help is appreciated. And even blu ray screen caps are not enough to put this to bed so to speak.

It would be nice to nail some of these down so that proper decals could be made up . . . for the 3' and maybe even the 19".

Ryan

timeslip and toromodel like this.
  18. dtssyst

toromodel and belleauwood like this.
  19. belleauwood

Those are, I'm pretty positive, Lee Stringers photos which are still up on his flickr account.

Jay Adan also has a very good flickr of SST models.

Both are super helpful for the big 18' model, one of which now appears in the collection of the Callisto Exhibition Group, aka "Science Fiction Archives" in Europe.

The biggest thing I'm still looking for is some pictures of 6' and 9' models, which have disappeared as far as I can tell, probably to the trash dumpster behind SPI. I know most of those had ship names and numbers, and nailing down color and type would make it so much easier as they appeared to be much more varied than the 18' model, which had a blue and tan as far as I've been able to tell.

I would really love to nail down names types etc and then see about getting a decal sheet update together, so that for example the "named" ships like the Bull Run or Boxer could be done on the "other side" of the Rodger Young for variety. And maybe even see the sheet scaled back down for the much more common 19" models floating around. But that is going to mean something more hitting the light of day, as I've poured through everything I could find both online and in print, and then capped the blu-ray about to death trying to resolve some of the names that go with some of the just numbers above as well as type etc. And the Tan is easy to make out, but the difference between the blue and green is very slight and sometimes hard to tell in the actual screen cap. The list above is literally many hours of work digging and zooming and squinting and step forwarding to pick out names and details.

Here is to hoping that someone out there who worked on the show has a "secret" trove of production pics that even if they were not willing to share publicly for whatever reason could at least resolve this list some. At this point I think that is the only likely way that is happening.

Ryan

toromodel likes this.
  20. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Attached Files:

• 180.jpg
      180.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
  21. belleauwood

Looks like 180 gets added as another.

Nice catch, I missed that one

Ryan

22. Mike J.

Skimmed the flick and got one more cap.

The 169 (on the left) appears to be a blue-gray, with the Rodger Young-type deck structure.

The ship on the bottom right I assumed to be the 180, but my previous cap shows the 180 with the boxy cargo modules.
    That suggests this is something else, maybe 15X, 16X, 18X or 19X?
    Based on the color differences between it and the 169, I'm guessing it may be green?

EDIT: I found my paperback "Making of Starship Troopers" and checked it for more ship details. Though it is surprisingly meticulous in many respects, it does not contain a list of ships, nor any useful photos beyond what we already have.

-MJ

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  23. belleauwood

Well, a blizzard shutting things down here in CO followed by another round of snow did not stop Fed Ex (though it did stop USPS!) from getting a set of large boxes delivered today.

And when I cracked them open for a quick look see . . . I can see I am going to be having a whole lot of fun building this bad boy up!

Overall 3.jpeg Overall 2.jpeg Overall 1.jpeg

I will be digging into this more next week and taking a lot of pictures for those who haven't been able to jump on this yet or were not lucky enough to be in the first 10.

But so far? Pretty * impressed. It is at the higher end of what I would consider GK kit quality, very good casting all around in a good strong resin that is not stinky or weak, with few pinholes and mold tear boogers etc. But it is still a kit so some work is definitely needed in areas.

Ryan

toromodel, dtssyst and star-art like this.
  24. dtssyst

Thanks for the pictures. Can't wait to see more! I am making payments so I will not see my kit for a while. Were paint chips included?

25. toromodel

toromodel New Member

Other names:
    Marshall Blue aircraft carriers (173??)
    USS Princenton
    Khe Sanh
    Chupacabra

Numbers:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  26. belleauwood

Toro,

Any evidence of those ships that you can share?

DTSSYT,

No paint chip sadly, but I asked about it as I was under the impression that they came with it too.

Just an FYI, in lighting this true to "as seen on screen" is going to be a LOT of work, especially in the comms and other towers as they are solid cast, as are the engine sections for LEDs etc. Its going to be a lot of hogging out to make towers fiber optic ready, and more than a little cutting in half then hogging out on the engine thrusters too. Its does have some access in areas that would be hard to do built in, but a lot of that is negated by solid cast parts in a few areas that are going to take some creativity and time to get access behind.
    Head Cut.jpeg
    The main "head" is hollow rotocast though so after a quick cut from the underside to confirm its not obstructed the head and bridge area will be not simple to light but doable. That was going to be a deal breaker on lighting if it turned out that there was a huge blob of resin inside as sometimes happens on rotocast pieces, luckily its a pretty consistent wall thickness throughout, IE, VERY well done rotocasting. I may cut under the chin as well for access and then cover with a styrene plate when done since its a no detail area, and drilling those FO holes blind isn't on my list of fun things to do. In fact, I may use the under chin area for access to lights/battery pack post build since I think I can make a plate and magnetize it, but that is a part of the plan that will come as I assess things further as I go.

I am looking at a couple of sizes of FO to use, I never did hear of an "official" size used word from Fon Davis or anyone who worked on the 3' model. For now I am going to take a look at some of my "stock" sizes and compare to "as seen on film" of all versions, including the 19', and see what appears to be in close scale for this build.

I'm also looking at some SMD style LEDs to use for the 5 or so "spotlights" the 19' sported in various areas, so far a quick test shows that I can readily hide them behind a styrene chip and get the effect I want and not have it be overly obvious how its done.

Finally, some aluminum honeycomb light diffuser arrived yesterday, and the 1/16 grid size I took a chance on fits cell for cell count with what shows up for the main engine thrusters on the 19'. I did over order and I need to see about doubling that amount as what I have in is 1 inch thick (way too thick for the build) and shaving that down but for now at least I have something in hand to use. Once I do that I may offer it up for anyone who wants it for either lighted or static build, I think it will add some serious character to the engines. Now to find the diamond grid pattern that goes on the upper inner secondary triangular engine thrusters (PE from K&S would have been perfect but it is discontinued now I guess) and that part of the engine lighting will be done.

Engine Honeycomb.jpeg

Ryan

27. CelticWarrior

CelticWarrior Well-Known Member

Will you be documenting the build? Really look forward to seeing this get built up.

28. toromodel

toromodel New Member

Hi Ryan

Khe Sanh and Chupacabra, mentions Jay Adan (Model Maker and painter in Thunderstone model shop), in an article in the defunct magazine Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models.
    Marshall, mention VFX supervisor Scott E. Anderson (if I remember correctly) in the magazine American Cinematographer.
    The Princeton, mentioned by in a forum, the owner of one of the original models of 3 feet ILM.
    And the identification numbers, of captures of the Blu-ray.

And your identifications?
    Hale 133
    137 Denim Tan
    Fairfield 178

I am so curious.

Regards

29. belleauwood

Toromodel,

You are right, the Marshall is mentioned in American Cinematographer Volume 78, No. 11, November 1997. The text from that article is available here:
    https://www.theasc.com/protect/nov97/starship/pg1.htm

My bad, thought that was on the list along with the Yamamoto since they are both discussed in detail in the making of and cinefx issue too.

I've been trying to get the sci & fantasy model mag for awhile, I had it at one point and it got loaned and never returned. I would love to see the text and any pictures on that again.

Any chance that the owner of the Princeton posted any pictures or better yet that somewhere is contact info for him? I would love to see pics of an original 3' since they seem pretty scant, most pics out there are of the 18/19', the 9' in production (nothing after that though) so I am having to go by details for the larger models for this 3' build. I'm sure I am not alone there since this "kit" is now out there.

My sources are pretty much everything I can find. Up to and including the Starshiptroopers wiki page, which was the basis of my list and from I have yet to disprove any of the names/numbers listed there, though I crossed out the 175 rodger young as a comic book error. I added and confirmed quite a bit from bluray screencaps as well, and I cheated on those some too using this bluray cap page since its so time consuming to cap from the bluray for me:
    http://movie-screencaps.com/starship-troopers-1997/1/

Specifically . . .

The Fairfield, from one of Jay Adan's photos:
    [​IMG]Cargo Ship by Jay Adan, on Flickr

Its also in bluray caps/freeze frame on the approach to Ticonderoga early in the movie, as the tan cargo approaching with the 193 Greg Jein Blue Troop docked and the 198 (unknown name) green troop docked. 198 is a 2 part name, but I cannot make it out no matter what I do.

Now, I'm not disagreeing with any source, but the Yamamoto/Marshall collision over big K is, as far as I can tell, possibly the Fairfield and Yamamoto, since the Fairfield had the cargo module as seen in the flickr and I have yet to see any pics of a Tan Marshall named ship. Not saying it didn't happen or was shot that way or whatever, just that the tan 9' model the only pics I've seen are from Jay Adan's stream, and the Fairfield is the only name I can (kinda) make out.

The wiki is where I'm basing most of what I have for the Hale and Denim, and I'm not sold on all of them AT ALL as the attached pics are tiny and could be ANY ship name, so I'm not sure about if they are fan fiction wannabe names or the real deal.

I was hoping that kicking this off as a discussion would put some interest out there and see if we are lucky to see some higher rez pics than we have never seen before (or better versions of whats floating around already) and new information. Next post will be an updated "list" with a lot of question marks and blank spaces. I wish I could say that I have a folder of never before seen behind the scenes photos that reveal all of it to confirm everything, but sadly, I don't. I'm just doing the best I can to piece this together and then see about getting whatever decals I can get made, made with real names etc for variety. Its fun (in a sick twisted sort of way in a near information vacuum) researching and having an idea of how many of what size models were made when and by whom, and I love that the 3' one we have now is solely ILM built and filmed.

Its funny when you start digging in on details, you start seeing things like the rear deck arch piece being present on some TAC and Cargo variants while completely missing on others, and the square box cargo module vs the tapered cargo box (what I call the command ship type), with the variations running the full gambit of combinations.

Ryan

30. belleauwood

Name Ship ID Color Type

Princeton
    Khe Sanh
    Frank Is Love 125 Blue? Troop
    128 Tan Troop
    Mitchell 132 Blue
    Hale 133
    Denim 137 Tan Tac ?
    Yamamoto 138 D Blue
    Hood 156 Troop
    Giap 159 D Blue Troop
    Marshall 173? Blue? TAC
    Cromwell 175 TAC
    Rodger Young 176 Blue Troop
    Fairfield 178 Tan Freight
    Boxer 182 Tan TAC
    Geronimo 185
    Chupacabra 188?
    Greg Jein 193
    Bull Run 195 Blue Troop
    198 Green Troop

31. Mike J.

I retouched the Fairfield in PS, twice. The number is quite clear, but I can't make heads or tails out of the name.

Attached Files:

belleauwood likes this.
  32. Mike J.

33. CelticWarrior

34. toromodel

toromodel New Member

belleauwood

I remember have requested images to the owner of the Princeton, but nothing ...

The magazine article Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models, brings little information, more or less the same as this link:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/other/stroop.htm

Honestly, data from ships Wikipedia, are unreliable I do not understand where it came the name of the Hale and Denim. I think I you had to remove them from the list.

Regards

35. toromodel

toromodel New Member

In the picture perfectly it distinguishes the 178 ... but the Fairfield with this picture is unwatchable. Is there no other photograph 178?

36. toromodel

toromodel New Member

This particular model, I think it has still some changes that made Bob and Dennis Skotak for Starship Troopers 3, but actually is a model created by ILM for Starship Troopers (plus versions for cargo modules and supply were made, plus 3 colors, tan, gray-blue and gray-green, and many others destroyed by the arachnid plasma), in particular for some scenes of the base Ticonderoga.

37. dtssyst

belleauwood,
    Any chance of you showing us some more photos of the parts?
    Thank you for letting us know that no paint chip was included with your kit.

Everyone,

To those who have received this kit,
    Is a base included?
    Anyone get a paint chip/sample?

Our first payment has been made with the second a few weeks away. I ask if anyone would please provide more information to those who have placed an order and those that want to place an order.

The above two questions have been asked on other forums in the hopes that Chronicle Collectibles responds.

For anyone interested...
    My 1/700 scale replica that I finished a few years ago can be seen here...
    http://modelermagic.com/?p=25620

For the 1/700 kit I did the following.
    I am including it here to share with others and in case I misplace this information I can find it here.
    Grey Primer, then base coated it with Model Master acrylic GRAU RLM 02.
    Used Tamiya German Grey for the shadows and engines.
    Then the GRAU RLM 02 again to settle down the shadow effect.

38. toromodel

toromodel New Member

dtssyst

The model does not include base, the base is seen in the photo, is from the original model of Fon Davis, and sample painting is unserviceable, it's just a picture of low resolution.

I received my kit, and is a complete disaster, it seems a copy of fourth or fifth generation. If you want, send me a private email with your email address, and send you the pictures I've made, and I have also been sent to Chronicleso they can see what kind of products they sell.

Regards

39. dtssyst

PM sent

40. trooperprop

trooperprop Well-Known Member

Hi, would be very interested in seeing pictures of the raw model. I think this model has alot of potential. Would display nice next to the 18" model from federationmodels.

41. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

I looked the resin castings over and man.... I hope you have a heavy duty dremel and mega sanding drum. This kit was not made in a way to be conducive to lighting or the average makers abilities. Folks that know me... know I have no love for Chronicle but I know the master was a casting from movie molds.... that being said... when it was pulled.. what type of material was used (shrinkage) and what were the conditions of the mold ect weigh heavy on the existing pattern they worked from. Then that casting was detailed by a couple amazing professional model makers and remolded for production.. 2nd / 3rd Generation at best. Will also need an armature inside somehow to keep the 3 foot monster from sagging over time. To do this right... a major overhaul is gonna be required to allow engine lights and hundreds of fibers to be run. I above all appreciate the opportunity to own items from original molds for sure... but for the resin kit world this bad boy is leaving a bad taste in folks mouths from what I've seen. Could it be made into an impressive display piece? Sure. However $800 is at the higher end of studio scale kits and trust me I know ... folks these days demand the parts fit, it's not full of bubbles and all the parts are included when shipped. I plan to use the model as reference only and scratch build a proper 3 foot model. Fixing asymmetry issues and will be much easier to build and light. Add this to the list of projects.... "Do you want to know more?" Hey trooperprop my football coach always said "potential is not a complement... its unused ability!" thought id share that lil nugget...

42. CelticWarrior

After seeing Toromodels pictures of this kit I won't be buying.

43. toromodel

toromodel New Member

At this kit Chronicle, all are problems. I never will build, is totally wasting time.
    If one wants to have a model in good conditions of the Rodger Young, would be faster build it from scratch ...
    From the day I received the package, I stuffed the pieces in 2 bags, and put it in a closet ... I do not want to see more...

44. CelticWarrior

You should send it back to Chronicle. I'd be interested to hear what they say about it.

45. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

46. trooperprop

trooperprop Well-Known Member

yes he is right;-)
    glad to hear about this kit flaws in advance, still because it connection to the original I still would use my ability to build it one day.
    Perhapes can the 3 ' model be used to build a perfect 6' rodger young!

Greetings,

BasD

47. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

BasD a 6 footer! Get out of my head!!

48. ProfKSergeev

ProfKSergeev Well-Known Member

What a shame. I'd be very interested to see toromodel's photos of the kit. Have they been posted anywhere?

49. dtssyst

50. toromodel

toromodel New Member