3,895 total members?

Half Knife

Is that number right? That's what it says on the battle of the boards site. If so, I hope they start cruising in and vote for us. We could win hands down!

Well there 112 pages of people with NOT ONE SINGLE posting, which equals 2240 members who have not contributed, which gives us the INFLATED member total.

Theres a further 14 pages before you start hitting 2 posts a member, which is another 280.

a further 20 pages ( 400 people ) of people under 10 posts.

so that puts the MINIMUM amount of people regulary contributing to about 795. which is reality is probably half that, maybe even a third.

Im in no way shape or form telling admin what to do , but surely that many people having NO posts and not active for a YEAR should be removed from the members list, if for nothing more than to free up user names.

Well there 112 pages of people with NOT ONE SINGLE posting, which equals 2240 members who have not contributed, which gives us the INFLATED member total.

Theres a further 14 pages before you start hitting 2 posts a member, which is another 280.

so that puts the MINIMUM amount of people regulary contributing to about 795. which is reality is probably half that, maybe even a third.

Im in no way shape or form telling admin what to do , but surely that many people having NO posts and not active for a YEAR should be removed from the members list, if for nothing more than to free up user names.

DITTO!!

I dont believe that there is over 3000 members that log in everyday here. If you look at how many that posts regulary, it must be just a few percentage. Because everybody dont post, its not so easy to tell how many is still "active".
If you look at Usurper, he has posted more then 3% of all the posts in the lair, and I have barely touched 0.3% (sorry Lee, you have more then 4800 posts so it was a good example ).
But still, it would be fun if we came first on the list. o_O

Have to agree with Lee.It should be made some kind of rule of inactive membership.maybe a year and you're deleted or something like that.

I agree with Lee to. I know several of the forums I used to go to alot like tattoo forums and even the FXlab after not being active or contributing anything they delete your account.

I Have to agree with lee.......12 months without a post does seem extreme ... some sites dont allow 3 months of inactivity before they close your account........free up more space i say..........

Another one in the "I agree" pile. Cut the dead weight. If it bothers anyone, they can always re-register. And then post.

I agree as well, Im not the most active user but I don't see the point in signing up to a forum and then not saying anything, and like Hez said it's not hard to re-register when you finally decide you have something to say

Inflated membership can throw it off somtimes, so I would have to agree with it aswell, we should do somthing about it =P

Kick 'em out the airlock!

Noooooo!!! *grabs the doorframe and holds on for dear life* o_O

Initially, I just wanted to defend all those silent lurkers out there - like myself - who just enjoy watching all your fantastic creations and love to read about your latest adventures, experiences and discoveries in the wonderful world of Predator. Those who love your stuff, but just don' tell you. Those who dance around happily after seeing your newest bio, your latest shoulder cannon, your most recent dread ring collection, but do it in private. Those who can't wait to watch the forth, the fifth and the 99th video coverage of SDCC, but still don't leave a single comment.
Because I'm one of them. And I really wanted to defend them.

But then I realized that, in order to do so, I would have to step out of the sweet coziness of lurkertude and eventually say something.
And I found out that it actually isn't THAT hard.

So, yes, you're right!
Even if some of us - like myself, again - wouldn't consider themselves creative or artistic at all and therefore don't know how to be a somewhat...valuable member of the community, maybe we should at least take the time to show our appreciation and just give you some credit for all your wonderful work every now and then.
You deserve it!

(By the way, this is SuperSonic, an old and wrinkled Pred nerd from Germany - so please ignore my non-existing English skills. And yes, posting really isn't that difficult. Maybe the other 2500 inactive members should try it, too... )

Good idea to cut the dead weight, but thats something that only Faken can answer. I don't know how much of a pain in the ass it would be, or if it would be easy. My guess is that it would be tedious and painstaking to delete all the inactive accounts, but then again - does it really matter? Not really.

I wish some more of the "lurkers" would post instead of just looking and not saying anything. It would be a lot cooler if they simply said, "oh man thats totally cool" instead of looking and never saying anything.

Excuse me?? "Cut the dead weight"???

Unless there is some sort of incredibly dumb built in registration limitation in the forum software or billing for the webspace considers number of users, causing costs to go up (which would absolutely surprise me), there is absolutely NO reason at all to kick anyone out. Would you also consider kicking out users whose posts/props don't live up to your standards??
I personally registered in 2004 with the old forum and didn't post more than maybe 1 or 2 posts until 2006. BUT I check in almost daily, go ahead, look at my user number if that gives you any idea. I love this place. Anyway, as registered user you have a couple of advantages, the "show latest posts" feature not being the least of them.

I mean, look at it this way: I personally work approx 60 hrs a week in SW engineering. Currently I don't have neither time nor space (as in "toolshed" or whatever) to do a lot of prop stuff. Which doesn't mean I consider myself done with creating stuff. At one time, I may find the time again to get into it and I wouldn't very much appreciate my login having been deleted simply because there's a post per year minimum input.

Also, at what exact number would you draw the line? 1 post per year/ overall since first login? 2 posts? 100 posts? Do I have to spam this community with mindless blabber to be considered a valuable member by sheer post numbers?? Cos if so, I could simply produce a thread per week OR day that I fill up with ******** some may even consider funny/interesting or whatever (while the majority would not). Or I respond to every thread for a week and be done with the limit. But where's the sense in that, and neither do I consider 1000s of "oooh, that's sooo cool" comments to be necessary, contrary to what has been said above. No problem with praising the praiseworthy, and most of the stuff here very well is, but making it close to mandatory?? Rather produce new input!! I prefer a guy who posts a cool picture of some stuff once a month to ten guys who scratch other people's balls on every thread. So I don't contribute that much for the above reasons for now, but I think I nevertheless have provided input and a couple of ideas in the past that some found hery helpful - or just nice.

I could totally understand if this comes from a hurt sense of people leeching off the good ideas, making money with whatever processes you came up but not returning any. But the forum is open to guests anyway, so the lurkers could do just that. Only not as comfortably.

Lee, I utterly respect your skills and do very much value your artistic input here, the stuff you put out is the ****. But this here is not a good idea in my opinion.

Tom

To clarify:

Members who log in, check the forums and do not post are considered lurkers. I see these members as active, just not posting - which is totally fine. An occasional post would be nice, but is by no means mandatory.

Members who do not log in and do not check these forums for a long period of time (6-12 months) are not active.

In all honesty, getting rid of inactive account is not needed unless someone wants the username of an inactive member.

Tom,

My reply was in answer to the initial question and only my thoughts on a more accurate member level, im NOT demanding anything, NOR am i saying "THIS IS WHAT TO DO! " I did not answer to start some sort of "Member list drive"

Im pretty sure Dan or Andrew will not do anything about ithe list, which is and always was their call. AGAIN I WAS ANSWERING A QUESTION, AND THAT WAS JUST PART OF MY ANSWER.

And BY THE ******* WAY. I said members who have NO posts and have been registerd for over a year. NOT make a random number of posts!

get it 0 posts.

Theres reading between the lines, then there just making **** up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why dont you address all the other people who thought similar? maybe its because i make pointless posts like this huh?

It seems you cannot speak your mind here more and more, without someone jumping all over you, no wonder people are ******* leaving.

Tom ,I think you misunderstood us.we're talking about inactive membership.for example I have a friend who wanted to know where he could buy a mask like mine so I directed him to this forum.He became a member so he could looks at all the "pretty pics"(his comment not mine) never bought nothing and only logged on twice! I'd ask him not long ago if hes visited the lair and he said : naaahh I just wanted to get a mask but I'm not about to pay those crazy prices for just a stupid mask!
I think that's a lot of one time loggers thinking.they become members thinking they will score a bad ass collectible (mask,suit,etc)only to find it's not as cheap as they expected and once they find that out nevr come back again.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back