3:10 to Yuma Charlie Prince Costume Research

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
For a short time, I worked on a Charlie Prince costume. Sadly, I don't have anything to show for it. I am in the process of closing a number of personal websites, one of which documented that process. In order to not lose information, I am posting those findings here. I am not sure it will necessarily help anyone, but who knows.

---

Charlie Prince’s Hat from 3:10 to Yuma - Originally posted at playingforblood.com on January 28, 2008

Charlie Prince’s Hat from 3:10 to Yuma

Been doing a bit of research on 3:10 to Yuma and pretty quickly found on IMDB that the hats for the movie were made by Baron Hats.

From IMDB: 3:10 to Yuma (2007) - IMDb

What were Ben Wade's and Charlie Prince's hats?

Their hats were provided by the venerable Baron's Hats in Burbank, California. The company will custom-make any of the hats made for the movie, including those of Russell Crowe, Peter Fonda, Christian Bale, and Ben Foster. You can email them at Mail@Baronhats.com.

Rumor has it that they also have the original embroidery that was on Ben's hat band, which is very rare, along with its original amulets. They reportedly plan to sell a limited edition of this special hat--making only 31 of them.

Incidentally, Ben Foster's hat was a variation of Robert Redford's from Out of Africa (fitted with a mesa slope crown).

I contacted them regarding the Charlie Prince hat, and here was their response:

Yes, we know the "Ben Foster" (Charlie Prince) hat very well, since we made the original, along with most of the other hats for the motion picture.

We can make you an exact replica of the hat, along with the original hatband for the "Ben Foster" hat in 100% Western Weight Fur Felt for $698, and in 200XXX 100% Beaver for $898.

While I will probably have them make my hat, the price seems exceedingly high when looking at the prices of their other hats. I am not sure if it is because 3:10 to Yuma is considered a hot item right now or what as the Charlie hat does not seem particularly complicated. Perhaps I will just wait to see if they post the hat at this price on their site...

If you are interested in purchasing a hat from Baron Hats, you can reach them at:

1619 West Burbank Blvd.
Burbank, CA
BaronHats@aol.com

---

Will Ghormely Interview Regarding Charlie Princes's Rig - Originally posted at playingforblood.com on April 28, 2008

The content below is from a phone interview I had with Will Ghormley conducted on April 24. 2008. Mr. Ghormley’s responses are not exact quotes but are condense and paraphrased from his responses. These paraphrased responses have been reviewed and approved by Mr. Ghormely.

Charlie Prince Rig by Will Ghormley

How were you brought on board for 3:10 to Yuma?

3:10 to Yuma was made after The Assassination of Jesse James. Thell Reed was armorer on both Jesse James and 3:10 to Yuma. As Thell was aware of my work on Jesse James, he approached me in regard to designing the rigs for 3:10 to Yuma.

What were your contributions to 3:10 to Yuma?

I designed and built the iconic rigs for Ben Wade, played by Russell Crowe, Charlie Prince, played by Ben Foster, and Campos, played by Rio Alexander. I also was commissioned to create more generic rig designs to outfit the outlaw band and posse.

How do you come up with a design?

The first major consideration is the time period in which the movie is to take place and what technology and styles were popular at that time. This helps ensure the rigs are ‘period correct.’

The second major consideration is the requirements of the production. In the case of 3:10, the armorer was looking for period-correct rigs that could be used like a modern-day fast draw holster. Additionally, the rigs had to be colored in such a way that the dye would not rub off on the actors' clothing.

There are also other considerations such as requests from the actors. For example, Rusell Crowe, at one point, wanted two crossing belts for Ben Wade. However, Thell Reed had used crossing belts on Curly Bill Brocious, played by Powers Booth, in Tombstone and expressed great concern due to the issues Booth had in keeping the belts situated correctly. Thell stated that he had to readjust Booth’s belts for every shot because they kept falling down. Based on Rusell Crowe’s requests and Thell Reed experience, I created a double belt rig in which the belts interlocked, creating a single unit that wouldn’t fall down as two individual belts would have done. Unfortunately, this belt wasn’t used by Crowe as the director ultimately decided that it did not fit Ben Wade’s character. He instead decided that Ben was deadly enough that he only needed a single gun while the remainder of his posse required two guns to be as deadly as he was. [Note: a similar decision was made for the character Johnny Ringo from Tombstone, as he was initially slated to carry two guns.]

Please walk me through the process in which a rig goes from an idea to the final piece used in the film?

I first make a template and from that create a prototype that is then shipped to the armorer. The prototype is examined and revisions are noted. I then use these revisions to create the final pieces seen in the film. Sometimes there are numerous revisions and holsters get swapped from character to character or even from film to film!

For example, Russel Crowe’s 3:10 to Yuma holster started out as a prototype to be used by Ed Harris in Appaloosa! Russel Crowe’s 3:10 to Yuma prototype holster was eventually used by Tommy Darden, played by Johnny Whitworth, the member of Crowe’s posse who is shot in the neck by Crowe early in the film.

How many rigs were made for Crowe and Foster?

The director was adamant that he didn’t want the look of Crowe’s belt to change but Russell Crowe needed different sized belts for different scenes. He needs one sized belt to go over his coat, another sized belt to hang loosely under his coat, and yet another sized belt to fit tightly under his coat for fast draw scenes. Ultimately I made between 15-16 belts for the Ben Wade character.

For Ben Foster, we made 3 belts in total. One was the original prototype belt that I still have. The second belt was given to Ben Foster. The third belt was sold on eBay after filming.

What was your inspiration for the Charlie Prince rig?

Charlie’s rig was inspired by the character as described to me by Thell Reed. In my mind, I ‘type cast’ Charlie as someone who is arrogant and conceited. He would be interested in appearance and has no regard for human life. Based on this assessment of Charlie’s character, I created a prototype that included a flaming red lining in the holsters as well the red ‘Flames of Hell’ stitching outside the lining. I also added silver spots and a detailed silver buckle to represent Charlie’s arrogance and pride. Finally, I gave the billet a ‘coffin’ style end.

How did the final design of Charlie’s rig change from the prototype?

The prototype holsters had a very common, period-correct, treatment for the throat. During the civil war, many holsters had a flap over them to protect the old ball and cap style weapons. After the war, it became common to simply cut off the flap as it greatly impeded the speed at with a shooter could draw his weapon and cartridge-based weapons weren’t as delicate as their predecessors. When the flap is removed, there is often an arc of material left at the back of the holster. This became so prevalent that holster makers began to make new holsters with the arc even though it was only a remnant of the cutoff flap and served no useful purpose. I added this arc to the prototype rig because it showed off the red lining of the holster through the trigger guard. However, Thell, the armorer, felt the arched back impeded Ben Foster’s ability to draw. Ultimately the arches were removed even though they were period correct. Also, the holsters on the final rig were made ‘baggier’ than the holster on the prototype so Ben could holster his pistols with less resistance. Finally, for safety reasons, a hammer thong was added so the guns wouldn’t fall out of the holsters, especially when the actors were on horseback. Hammer thongs weren’t common during the period of the film so I designed the thongs so they could be easily hidden for closeup shots to maintain a period-correct look.

There was a lot of leather in 3:10 to Yuma. Did you have help?

Yes, I did. Jon Watsabaugh, an award-winning saddle maker helped make many of the rigs. In fact, while the designs were mine, Jon actually manufactured more of the rigs for the secondary actors than I did! I provided Jon with patterns and leather and he built them.

Thanks to Will for sharing this info!!! If you are interested in having Will make a rig for you, please check out his website: Will Ghormley – Maker

---

Charlie Prince Hat Available at Baron Hats - Originally posted at playingforblood.com on April 29, 2008

Charlie Prince Hat from baron Hats

Baron Hats, who made the hats for 3:10 to Yuma now have a copy of Charlie Prince’s hat available for purchase. They are calling it “The Trigger man” and their prices are as follows:
$510 for a 100% Western Weight Fur Felt

$898 for 200XXX 100% Beaver

$99 for aging (to make hat look as it does in the movie.

As I stated before their prices seem very high to me considering Tom Hirt (maker of a number of the hats used in Tombstone) created a Ringo Hat (which in my opinion is a more complex hat) for $430. Still, if you want it from the original makers these are the guys to get it from.

You can purchase their hat from the following link: Baron Hats’ “Trigger Man” Hat

---

Charlie Prince Jacket Buttons from 3:10 to Yuma - Originally posted at playingforblood.com on January 10, 2011

This is a pretty small update but I thought it was worth noting as I haven’t seen anyone else positively ID the buttons on Charlie Prince’s jacket.

While I am not 100% sure of the size, the button on Charlie’s jacket appear to be Royal Army Pay Corps (RAPC) buttons which include a lion over a crown over a scroll which reads “Fide et Fiducia” which means “By fidelity and confidence” or ” trust and be trusted” which is seems fittingly ironic.

Anyway, you can find these buttons and knockoffs all over the net, from eBay to reenactment sites to private collectors.

UPDATE: A friend recently pointed out that there are two main variations of this button; a “king’s crown” (1928-1952) version and a “queen’s crown (post-1953) version. Charlie’s jacket has the king’s crown version of the button, which is usually considered a WW2 button.

Royal_Army_Pay_Corps_Button.jpg

See the Royal Army Pay Corps Buttons on Charlie Prince’s Jacket in the images below.

Charlie_Prince_Jacket_Buttons_01.jpg

Charlie_Prince_Jacket_Buttons_02.jpg

Charlie_Prince_Jacket_Buttons_03.jpg

Last edited:
You know I've never seen the movie, but after that good bit of info I now HAVE to watch it.

Thanks for posting!

You know I've never seen the movie, but after that good bit of info I now HAVE to watch it.

Thanks for posting!
Definitely well worth a watch. Christian Bale, Russel Crowe, Alan Tudyk, Logan Lerman, and a few others. The director made Logan and Ford v. Ferrari as well.

Incredible movie, character and costume. Thank you for sharing.

I really do miss westerns as a genre and wish they made more of them. 3:10 to Yuma is a great movie!

Thanks for the information!

Of course the buttons should bear the QVC (Queen Victoria Crown).

That movie is fantastic. The costumes however don't look period to me; interesting in your interview that period-correct details were overruled by the people in charge.

That holster rig looks like something out of Buffalo Bill's Wild West show, performing for Eastern and European audiences, rather than something worn in the 19th century West.

Last edited:
I love this movie. In my opinion, the best modern western made- perhaps the best western ever made. The "feel" of it is so raw. You want to duck during that opening scene!

But I wanted to add, for those interested, the firearms used in the film (perhaps not all of them, I don't know) were provided by USFA, in Hartford, CT. They currently hold the original patents that Sam Colt filed (the actual paper documents). I had a USFA "rodeo" model for a few years and it is an absolute work of art. They make modern Colt revolvers- they even picked up where Sam left off with his serial numbers!!!

I don't have specific information, but for those inclined, you now have a solid lead.

So this post is years and years in the making. I have put off working on this forever but recently had a new motivation.

Will Ghormley made the original rigs for 3:10 to Yuma. I missed buying one of the original rigs (shown earlier in this post) years ago and missed out on a prototype rig that Will had made. Recently I approached Will about making a reproduction for me, and he kindly obliged. As always, I wanted my reproduction to be as close to the original as possible, warts and all. The [condensed] email below is why I love working with Will. I am sharing it here as it details how Will made the original rigs for the film.

Your Flames of Hell Rig [this is the name Will gave Charlie Prince’s rig. I love it!] is done and on its way. You wanted it as much like the ones I made for the movie, so I made it that way. But if this weren’t going to spend its life on a mannequin, I wouldn’t have.
When making the prototypes for the armorer [Thell Reed], they didn’t want Charlie Prince’s rig jet black, and they wanted it distressed. At the time, there wasn’t any dye called “almost black”, or “not quite black.” The black oil dye I was using would have permeated the leather, and there would have been no way to make it look distressed. So, I did something I’d never tried before. I mixed latex artists’ paints to make a dark charcoal color and painted Charlie’s rig. Then I hit it lightly with sandpaper and realized how fragile the finish was. But I sent the sample anyway. If they didn’t like it, they would tell me, and we’d work something out.
But they “LOVED” the finish. Then I was stuck making the rest of Charlie’s gear match. As you can see from your photos of one of the originals [the photos of the rig which sold on eBay], the finish took a beating on the set in a matter of weeks. There is no way the gun rig would have survived with any paint left on it if a guy was going to use it for a lifetime. So, I never made any more Flames of Hell Rigs like the original with latex artist’s paints…until yours. And I won’t make another one. If I remember right, there were two complete rigs for Ben Foster for the movie. So, you have one of only three with the original finish.
As I said, I wouldn't have used this finish if this wasn’t going on a mannequin, and you didn’t want it as close to the original.

Another variation on my stock Flames of Hell Rig that I didn’t do on the originals is the cartridge loops. Originally, I only agreed to make Russell Crowe’s rig for the movie. But I made 84 pieces for the movie without having enough time. So, I laced the original cartridge loops rather than the more secure and better way of sewing them. It was the only way I could get it done in time. The armorer didn’t like the narrow-laced cartridge loops because it was difficult to pull bullets out for the reloads. You’ll see [Ben] Foster reach behind as if he is pulling out cartridges for the reload, but he isn’t. In the final shootout scene, I was told that a guy was lying on the ground handing Foster the dummy cartridges.
Anyway, on my stock Flames of Hell Rigs, I make the loops ¾” rather than the ½” I made for the movie. And I sew them rather than lace them. But again, since this rig will spend its life on a mannequin, I’m not worried about you not being able to reload fast enough.
So, there you have it. Just a couple of details about your rig I thought you should know.

The rig, as I received it was beautiful, with a perfect finish, but the stiff leather was very unforgiving, and as Will had promised, the finish was extremely delicate. I slid the holsters on the belt and then took photos. Even from that one fitting, some of the finish came off, as you can see in the photos. If I had wanted a pristine belt, this would have been distressing, but this wasn't an issue as I wanted a well-worn belt.

Here is rig as I received it:

310-to-yuma-charlie-prince-holster-rig-will-ghormley-reproduction-new-1.jpg 310-to-yuma-charlie-prince-holster-rig-will-ghormley-reproduction-new-2.jpg 310-to-yuma-charlie-prince-holster-rig-will-ghormley-reproduction-new-3.jpg

I started the distressing by breaking in the leather. This largely entailed me bending, twisting, and flexing the leather to soften it and to create wrinkles. This is painstaking work and takes time, but the results were great.
After that, I used 220 sandpaper, going over all the studs and knocking down the bright silver. This was challenging to do without hitting the painted leather, but I got through it. After that, I used the rough wood edge of my workbench and gently scraped the leather across the edge of the plywood top in varying directions to try to get random patterns. I then used the 220 sandpaper to enhance and fan out the marks/scratches created. The result was the top half of the photo below. In-person, and compared to the original way the hoster arrived, this felt like a LOT of weathering, but when I photographed it, it didn't seem like much at all, and large sections of the leather surface still looked pristine. In addition, a lot of the scratches and abrasions looked forced and not natural. I returned with a 120-grit sponge and reworked each holster, resulting in the bottom half of the photo below.

310-to-yuma-charlie-prince-holster-rig-will-ghormley-reproduction-distressing-1.jpg

The holsters looked much better, but I slightly overdid the sanding, and the raw leather against the painted leather was very stark, especially on the holsters. The top half of the photo below is the same as the bottom half of the photo above but with guns inserted. To lessen the contrast of the distressing, I used an incredibly small amount of leather oil and wiped over the surface of the leather, darkening the sanded areas and blending everything in a bit more. The result is the bottom half of the photo below.

310-to-yuma-charlie-prince-holster-rig-will-ghormley-reproduction-distressing-2.jpg

Here is the holster in new condition, and the same holster after distressing:

310-to-yuma-charlie-prince-holster-rig-will-ghormley-reproduction-distressing-3.jpg

Here is the final rig:
310-to-yuma-charlie-prince-holster-rig-will-ghormley-reproduction-final.jpg

And finally, here is the final rig vs one of the original rigs from production. It isn't exact, but I think it captures the feel.

310-to-yuma-charlie-prince-holster-rig-will-ghormley-reproduction-compare.jpg

You lucky man you :cool: :cool: (y) (y) While you did a good job weathering the rig, I would try to put some kind of a brown wash over the front buckle...you see more of the details in the screen-used one than yours;)

I would try to put some kind of a brown wash over the front buckle...you see more of the details in the screen-used one than yours;)

Agreed! As soon as I got it on the mannequin the buckle stood out. Everything came back off. The buckle got a brown wash. All the studs got a black wash them two brown washes. The difference on the buckle is good. The studs are much more subtle but I like knowing they are knocked down just a little more.

Beautifully done so far. Your red stitching could use a touch of fading.
Take ‘em out to the range with you, and give them a little sun.

Or under a UV lamp;) Buckle is better now!
And the RPF comes through again. I thought I might sit the holsters in the sun or even try a bleach pen... I didn't even consider a UV lamp but I have a perfect UV setup for 3D printing! Will test and report back!

That rig looks fantastic.

Have you made the jacket? I'd love to see it! Looks to be butter-soft buff-coloured leather.

The jacket obviously takes cues from an ACW general's tunic, double breasted with stand collar.

Though those tunics were grey, the facings (collar and cuffs) of Staff and General officers were the same colour as the Charlie Prince jacket.

0orCLiG.jpg

The Queen Victoria Crown button looked rather different. The department was formed in 1881 as part of the British Army's Cardwell Reforms.

wdxwd2l.jpg

Last edited:
Have you made the jacket? I'd love to see it! Looks to be butter-soft buff-coloured leather.

So... I sort of cheated on the jacket. I bought an original from the film:

And yes, it is buttery-soft, darker than you might imagine, and incredibly thin and supple.

Last edited:
Or under a UV lamp;) Buckle is better now!

So, both UV AND direct bleach failed. I suspect UV might work if I left it long enough, but even leaving it for a day under extended UV made no difference and I am afraid to go further. I think I just might have to leave the thread the original saturated red. I guess that the original was a cotton-based thread, and this is nylon-based, but I am not sure.

Maybe using Javex could be the answer for that red thread. An experiment should be done on a hidden part of the rig...of course ;)
QTips + Javex could do the trick...maybe:unsure:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back