Bondo Fett

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yep, new pictures needed, for technical/stupid reasons. I had lots of BTS pics of modeling up the gun muzzle, but I can't get to them so I will just describe it.
The laser cannon is a quad barrel, so I plan to model up one and cast it four times. I will do this in two sections: the barrel shaft and the muzzle. If my plan works out the barrels will be cast around a brass tube so the muzzle can mount to the end, and the whole piece can mount to the gun body with a nice solid rod.
The muzzle is designed around a 1/4" brass tube, some flat styrene sheet, a couple of tank wheels, and some bondo (polyester fuller putty). It's about 1" by 1" by 3/8". Here are some pics:
IMG_3621.jpg
IMG_3622.jpg
IMG_3623.jpg
IMG_3624.jpg

I never figured out what the ILM guys used as the original piece on the 5-footer- I guess it is the engine pod from a jet powered bomber?

The barrel shaft model will have to be turned somehow. I don't have a lathe, so maybe I'll use a drill press? Working on it...

Last edited:

Bondo Fett

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Got some rubber on this thing. Looking forward to tomorrow.
IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3640.JPG
IMG_3641.JPG

Smooth-On Mold Max 30 that was lying around. I hope it is still good.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.