28" Hasbro Falcon.

There is another detail kit for the side walls based on the 32" detailing that was made by FZ6 and cast by MIke Salzo. You may be interested in that. the individual parts are available on shapeways as well under 308bits. as for paint - I tried using a color recommended by a member here Beaz I think - Glick "pebble". its a really light gray that is a pretty good base color... looks just abou8t perfect after weathering., and its pretty cheap Montana Gold Acrylic Professional Spray Paint - Pebble, 400 ml can | BLICK Art Materials

Enjoy :)

Jedi Dade

I have the Mike Salzo cast versions. 308Bits/ TonyRR / FZ26 did a great job creating the 3-D files. I prefer the resin versions over the 3D printed ones, but I am guessing they are out of production now

I have the Mike Salzo cast versions. 308Bits/ TonyRR / FZ26 did a great job creating the 3-D files. I prefer the resin versions over the 3D printed ones, but I am guessing they are out of production now
It would be interesting to know if the resin casts are still available.

Cheers,
Josh

So I scored this 29" Millennium Falcon on ebay for only $76 + additional costs for shipping and customs total $164.

Now finding that adhesion promoter stuff on the mainland of the EU is quite difficult since most declare to be not useful for PE = Polyethylene.

So my questions are ... do we know for a fact that this material used for this toy is PE or something else?

Hycote Adhesion Aid/Promoter could be an option if I only knew how to import it to the Netherlands ... can it be shipped from the U.K.?

An alternative I found is E-TECH Plastic Flexi Primer or even Motip Plastic Primer yet as mentioned I just found out not suitable for PE.

motip-plastic-primer-spuitbus-voor-kunststof*.jpg

As for Dupli-color Adhesion Promoter according to the pdf file it involves a lot of steps inbetween and you have to apply your base color immediately after putting it on. Still need to find a supplier to ship to EU mainland.

Duplicolor - Plastic Adhesion Promoter.png

I did find the Loctite Plastic glue locally :)

5410091630324_front.jpg

Chaim

P.S. Any more progress The Makerman ?

Last edited:
Just spitballing here, but what if you used acrylic paint thinned with vinegar? Would the mild acid in the vinegar be enough to "etch" the paint into the plastic?
Just trying to think outside the box.

Just to chime in with some aftermarket parts. HASBRO HERO 1/48 MILLENNIUM FALCON UPGRADES
I picked up a set.

I've picked up the Hasbro Falcon but have yet to build it just yet. Interested to see what works for you and doesn't. Looks like there are a couple good leads.

Are you planning to shave off all the piping and other soft details to replace them?

After you get a base primer you can paint on top of you should look into getting Archive X paints, they make colors that replicate the old Floquil paints used on the original prop models.

Thanks for your quick replies guys ... Axlotl ... I love your suggestion and was genuinely surprised if this would be a quick and easy solution to try out ... so thanks. Perhaps others can chime in if this could work?

newmagrathea ... yeah I have done my homework ... I've been contemplating several aftermarket options since, yet I do have to consider additional costs i.e. for customs. No shaving of piping ... just some extra add-on greeblies with artistic liscence ;)

I've read about Archive-X paints ... I doubt I can get those here in EU.

Chaim

Thanks for your quick replies guys ... Axlotl ... I love your suggestion and was genuinely surprised if this would be a quick and easy solution to try out ... so thanks. Perhaps others can chime in if this could work?

newmagrathea ... yeah I have done my homework ... I've been contemplating several aftermarket options since, yet I do have to consider additional costs i.e. for customs. No shaving of piping ... just some extra add-on greeblies with artistic liscence ;)

I've read about Archive-X paints ... I doubt I can get those here in EU.

Chaim

Actually Archive X paints are made in the UK, so shipping may not be too bad. No clue how bad shipping from the UK is post brexit myself.

Shipping is not so much the issue ... it's the additional high costs for customs to the EU ... that's one reason I hardly buy stuff from ebay USA and U.K. lately. I had to pay $30 customs to the $76 which I paid for that Hasbro Rebel Millennium Falcon ... that could have gone to some of those lovely 3D parts you unwrapped ... I haven't received my Falcon yet ... should be another 2 weeks I suppose ... then I see what needs replacing or additional work. I have been contemplating that Deagostini MF antenna array, yet I may come up with a scratch build suggestion. I did check my own box full of all kinds of bits of found plastic if I could build all sidewalls etcetera with a lot of my own artistic interpretation, yet then again I'm a stickler for screen-accurate parts and greeblies when it comes to STAR WARS.

MF5*.jpg

So the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy ... may turn out to be way out of my league ... on this scale ... we'll see ... to be continued . . .

Chaim

Last edited:
So my Hasbro Falcon has been shipped and is on it's way to the Netherlands ... in the mean time can anyone confirm this toy is or isn't made of Polyethylene a.k.a. PE, please?

And what about that plastic EU Rancor that I upgraded 2 years ago ... could that be the same plastic used?

Rancor - Upgrade -35.jpg

The vintage paint I used was synthetic resin dispersion based and since it had already dried out, I used it thinned with just water and painted directly onto the plastic toy (see picture above) ... without a primer layer. The brown red parts are just to cover up the existing blueish paint ... the arms are already covered with many layers of brown. After painting and drying I just added one layer of AK Ultra Matte Varnish ... the paintjob still holds quite well to this day ... so before I buy any other primer or adhesion promoter I want to try this vintage Taleta/Decorfin paint out first on the inside ... perhaps even with the vinegar suggestion added.

Rancor - Upgrade -56.jpg

Or could it be that the EU Rancor was entirely made of a completely different plastic compound?

Chaim

Last edited:
I've been thinking about the vinegar thing, and I don't think it will work.
I think polypropylene was invented for storing chemicals, acid being one, and if a gallon of hydrochloric acid won't eat through the stuff, then vinegar won't do a thing.
Sorry for the brain fart, guys. Carry on...

Shipping is not so much the issue ... it's the additional high costs for customs to the EU ... that's one reason I hardly buy stuff from ebay USA and U.K. lately. I had to pay $30 customs to the $76 which I paid for that Hasbro Rebel Millennium Falcon ... that could have gone to some of those lovely 3D parts you unwrapped

Yeah, I can confirm that. After Brexit I placed an order and ended up paying customs to Germany that were just insane. First, last and only time. :(

I have a Hasbro Falcon that has been sitting on the self for about 10 years now, the concept was really interesting at the begining, but once I had it in my hands I pretty much gave up on the idea. I did test some paints on the inside, unfortunatly I cannot say which paints I tried, but they are still on and holding fast. My main worry however was glueing... The plastic is really soft and as Starks said, I just was not willing to invest all the time (and money in aftermarket parts) to watch it fall apart.

I really do not want to demotivate anyone with that, I am sure with enough will there is likely also a way. I for myself, had enough other projekts in the pipeline to devert my interests. :)

Thanks Pixelworks ... well the Loctite Superglue-3 All Plastics I posted above has been confirmed in more than one thread and now is available in Europe ... so go ahead rekindle your interest and do start your build too ;)

Here's a good result : SirCharles77's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion - COMPLETED!!!

or this : Hasbro Hero Millennium Falcon Modification

and even this thread which re-uses parts from the big Hasbro Legacy Falcon from 2008 : Hasbro Rebel Millenium Falcon build (BMF) using 95% Hasbro parts

Whilest doing some more research I stumbled on a primer that I already had in my storage and is used by many artists all over ... it's name gesso ... and yes it can be used on plastics too ... diluted 2 parts gesso to 1 part water. Downside is that mine has to be brushed on, yet I will do a test on the inside once my MF has arrived before purchasing any spraycan adhesion promoter.

Also that vintage Taleta/Decorfin paint I used for the Rancor is still available in the Netherlands under the brand name : Amsterdam Deco Universal Satin ... eventhough the Talens company has stopped main production. Once I've done a good test with my left-over paint succesfully, I'd still be able to order fresh paint online and available in 62 colors in either 16ml. or 50ml. bottles until they've sold out.

Still I'd love to know is this magnificent Millennium Falcon made from Polyethylene or Polypropylene ... or not?

Chaim

Last edited:
Thanks Pixelworks ... well the Loctite Superglue-3 All Plastics I posted above has been confirmed in more than one thread and now is available in Europe ... so go ahead rekindle your interest and do start your build too ;)

[...]

Still I'd love to know is this magnificent Millennium Falcon made from Polyethylene or Polypropylene ... or not?

Chaim
Hi Chaim,

I guess I have not completely given up on it... otherwise it would not still be sitting on my shelf. ;) But my Bandai Perfect Grade just arrived yesterday and well, Hasbro just cannot compete with that. :)

Regarding Polyethylene or Polypropylene, I am not sure if there are any indications on the Hasbro box but I will look later today and let you know if I find any information.

Cheers,
Jason

joberg ... that would indeed be a simple solution ... I could not find any info with handsoap online via google just dish soap mixed with acrylics and psychadelic swirling paintings as a result ... yet who knows ... it's worth to try it out ... if my vintage Taleta/Decorfin paints fail.

Pixelworks thanks none the less for checking the box :)

Awaiting the arrival of the Millennium Falcon,

Chaim

Are there any markings molded into the inside that might give clues to the material? It probably won't say specifically but there may be letter or number codes that indicate the material, like LDPE which is low density polyethylene.

So I received my Hasbro Millennium Falcon and love it :) ... It came already with a Falcon Toy Conversion Panel Kit made available by YayMonsters and now I'll start collecting all the other parts such as sidepanels etcetera, I found a build by SirCharles77 which I liked :) ... also I did find a Plastic Adhesion Promoter locally for just 3 Euro's ... I will still have to do a test, yet here's what I found about it online : ProduktDetail

90212_Kunststoff-Haftvermittler_400ml.jpg

Also I thought I had purchased the correct grey primer yet since the language on the label was Spanish, I was not able to translate it properly and when I checked the brand Wurth online it turned out to be a fill-primer spray in middle grey to repair/fill small scratches and prime metallic surfaces ... although it can be used with a plastic promoter on plastics, I hesitate to use it on my Millennium Falcon since it may fill in i.e. between the panels and that's not what I want. I just need to return to the shop and get the regular light grey primer made by Plastikote, which they had in abundance and for 3 Euro per 400 ml spraycan a real bargain :)

Chaim

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back