"24": Jack Bauer's Bag 'o Tricks

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Jack Bauer, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For a couple of months I have been looking for a bag with one strap to carry around because I always have STUFF. But most are leather, or some cheap material and the straps are always uncomfortable. I have never liked the way a backpack feels, even with one strap around one shoulder.

I also didn't want to look like Jerry Seinfeld and his little purse. I didn't want a back pack, just one strap. Not too big. Not too small.

You know..... Like Jack Bauer has on "24" Day 5. So I figured "ok, time to geek out. what the hell?" and got one. This thing is sturdy as hell.

[​IMG]

Now you won't see me walking around in the 1375 Elite Metal Aviator Sunglasses with Mirror Lens, but I like my bag. It is actualy pretty comfortable to wear.

2. Kal-ElofKrypton

Kal-ElofKrypton Well-Known Member

WOW where did you find the bag?

3. Jack Bauer

The Heavyweight Classic Messenger Sack.

This particular bag/sack is made by ROTHCO Classic Packs & Sacks. Many places sell them. You just gotta know what you are lookng for. This one is STYLE #:9148 and can be purchased by more then just ROTHCO. They cost anywhere from $17 to $28 USD depending on where you buy them.

You can get them here:
    http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/c-6-p-772-id-6.html

here:
    http://www.wholesalearmynavy.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9148

and here: (best price I've seen)
    http://www.campingsurvival.com/hwclmebag.html

Hacksaw not included.

4. Kal-ElofKrypton

I think I might pick one of those up

5. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Looks like a bigger version of the MKVII :)

6. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just ordered one. Thanks for doing the legwork.

7. Minder Thr33

Minder Thr33 Sr Member

I was about to order one a few weeks ago, but I did a little more research and found out that there really is no extra support to cover your goods (ie. no zipper or button). It's just that big flap that stops someone from reaching in and grabbing something.

8. Apollo

Well we all know Jack has no problems protecting his purse. :p

9. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone else get one of these?

10. Wei

Wei New Member

I got mine over ebay for about $12 shipped. You will see them pop up on ebay quite often.

11. Apollo

12. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Very cool. I wonder how well a typical laptop would fit & work in there?

13. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

I have a smaller version of that bag I used as an Indy bag back before anyone knew what kind of bag he had. Mine is over 20 years old and has alot more miles in it. Hope yours lasts as long or longer.

14. spinner44.com

spinner44.com Well-Known Member

15. FETTCLONE

FETTCLONE Well-Known Member

Just bought one for my father-in-law's birthday; he's a huge fan of the show. Anyone making or have a set of ID's I could download and print? Or buy, if they're cheap enough. My wife and I plan to give him the first season wrapped in the bag, but an ID or two would really finish it off well. He already likes my Mark VII, so now he can have a suitable "murse" of his own. :lol

Thanks for the item identification guys, it couldn't have come at a better time.

16. gavidoc

gavidoc Well-Known Member

If he likes the MKVII, he'd like a US issued Mussette bag as well. I use one of these myself.

They are what were issued to the paratroopers and to the marines during WWII. Designed in 1936 and updated in 1945. They can take the standard US issued shoulder strap. Strong and durable. The ones made in 1945 are of more durable and thicker canvas compared to the 1941 and 43's. Plus they aren't as expensive.

Here's one on Ebay to show you what they look like.

Musette Bag

17. FETTCLONE

FETTCLONE Well-Known Member

Good to know. I agree, if he likes these that would be a pretty good option as well. Too bad I can't get cheap airsofts here in Canada... I'd already have the "bag of tricks" filled up. :lol

Thanks Gav.

18. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

wow Jack,
    that is a really nice man-purse :p

19. Sulla

Sulla Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Isn't this the same bag used by Veronica in the TV show Veronica Mars?

20. kell

kell Well-Known Member

We had a baby in feb, and I'm thinking if I gotta carry a diaper bag, maybe I should get one that would look cool and have enough room for my hacksaw .

Kell

21. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Just ordered one myself. Can't pass up such a cool item at a great price.

22. Sulla

Sulla Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kell @ Apr 18 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]1228829[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, not V.Mars' bag.

Congrats on the little one Kell. :D

I just bought one from armynavydeals on ebay. $31 buy it now with shipping. Cheeper with bidding.

23. Knightsaber

Knightsaber Well-Known Member

I've had my bag for a while, and always felt that the strap was too green. I thought that Jack's bag might actually be khaki at first, but I've seen several people around with the khaki version, and it's just too light in color. So now I'm pretty sure that Jack's bag is the OD green, but the strap on his is different than mine. Like I said, my strap is very green when compared to the bag. Jack's looks to be closer to the color of the bag itself. Anybody elso notice this. Best I can figure is that there are two different strap colors.

24. Jack Bauer

I think his bag has been very weathered. Multiple washigs, and fadings. To give it a very old and used look. I also believe though that his strap is longer then the one that comes with the bag. Meaning they found a longeer strap as close to the color as possible to make it a bit longer. So I am thinking maybe that strap on Jack's screen used bag, is not the strap that came with it but was made by wardrobe.

25. Tosprops

Tosprops New Member

26. Apollo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Bauer @ Apr 26 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]1233619[/snapback]</div>
    I have been thinking the same thing. The strap has probably been replaced at some point.

I wonder how many bags they have as I am sure they do not use just one.

27. Knightsaber

Really? You think it can be longer? I've got my bag right here, and judging from those first couple pics on the thread, the bag falls in just about the same place. I'm 6'0" with a pretty similar build to Kiefer, so that's all I can go on. Not saying it's impossible, especially because of the color variation. But one thing they may have done, if straps were changed, is take the strap form a khaki version of the same bag and put it on the weathered green one. I've seen it up close and looks to be the same color.

28. extreme_too2

extreme_too2 Well-Known Member

So, what do you think's in the bag besides a hack saw, phone, and gun? Or, what would a person in Jack's position need to have in their sack? I'm thinking maybe a lighter, flash light, pens and paper, binoculars, and knife.

What else?

-Aaron

29. Knightsaber

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(extreme_too2 @ May 10 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]1242211[/snapback]</div>
    Smoke grenades, definitely smoke grenades....maybe a flash-bang too. Oh and instead of binocs, go for a monocular loke Jack is using this season.

30. Knightsaber

OK, I've been working on weathering my bag to match the color of Jack's better. I washed it once, but the best way to fade the bag is actually the sun. Exposure to the sun will fade the canvas to just the right color. So far, my bag is almost completely faded, except the back and inside. There is still the question about the strap color though. Like I said earlier, the strap is a deep green, and the one on the show is a lighter true OD. I've noticed a little lightening on my strap, but I don't think it will fade to match Jack's. The best I can come up with is that the factory actually has two different shades of green straps. The one I have, and the lighter OD. Look here: http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...1&hl=jack+bauer I believe the strap color is closer to the one on the show. The picture makes it look Khaki, but the owner says that it is indeed OD. I haven't taken any pictures of my bag, but I can't see my strap shade of green being THAT dilutted by a camera. So that's it for now. I'll take some pics when I get around to it. Thoughts?

Ok got some pics. One with flash, one without.

[attachmentid=8127]
    [attachmentid=8128]

31. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Is anyone making any other props from the series? A gas canister, maybe?

32. Kal-ElofKrypton

I recieved a TV gudie today, issue May 29-June 4 and on page 38 they show Jacks bag from the show. I guess it could be official. Here is the link to the bag that TV guide gives

http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/FA1955

but I still think we have found the exact one. The one from fatiguesarmynavy.com has a handlestrap to cary it and his bag doesnt ever have that. Just thought this was interesting.

33. Jack Bauer

Great weathering Knightsaber. About the strap, as I have mentioned before, received from a pretty good source was the info that Jack's strap was added after purchase and was not the strap that came with the bag. It was changesd for length. IT was probably an aftermarket strap that did not come with that model bag. This is not yet 100% confirmed. But makes alot of sense. Given shots of the bag and length of the factory strap compared to Jack's in the show.

<div class='quotetop'>(Kal-ElofKrypton @ May 24 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]1250099[/snapback]</div>
    The ones in that link look wrong to me. Just look at the pics in the 1st post here. Those are pics of the show bag and my bag with hacksaw.

<div class='quotetop'>(Scarecrow @ May 19 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]1247074[/snapback]</div>

Yes. and Yes. Once i get the ball rolling I'll post more info.

34. Yorpheus

Yorpheus Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Knightsaber @ Apr 24 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]1232438[/snapback]</div>
    Where can the bag be purchased in OD green? I see no option to choose color from any of the links above.

35. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

36. Yorpheus

37. Yorpheus

Ordered.

Thanks.

38. Knightsaber

Well, you'll probably be getting the OD one as well...For some reason that pic they have makes it look very light. But Jack's was indeed green. It just sat in the sun for a good long while. The strap was also green, but it looked different because of lighting and other changes made in post. Still don't know where to get the khaki one, but I know for a fact that it exists. I've seen plenty of people around the city with 'em.

- John

39. Yorpheus

40. Kal-ElofKrypton