23" Eagle

I got one and they're quite nice. Found one on ebay from a UK seller and I think the complete price to the USA was $650. I know that the space 1999 community has denoted that its not completely accurate to the original models as it is based off the replicas unlimited kit. But it's looks great in my display case and I do not have the time or patience to accuarize one from scratch or kit.

Can't see the link? Must be something to do with Newbie status...

Well here's my review again, so you can see it. :D

--------

OK here we go... the new 23" Space 1999 Eagle replica from Product Enterprise.

031_jpg.jpg

many more photos here:

http://homepage.mac.com/ktate/extra/pe23eagle/index.htm

The big Eagle (henceforth "PE23") is the latest in the Product Enterprise series of replica Gerry Anderson studio-scale vehicles. The model comes complete with display case, and signed Certificate of Authenticity.

The new 23" PE Eagle alongside the earlier 12" replica
021_jpg.jpg

The PE23 has some big pluses AND minuses... in the "pro" column, it's a nice big satisfying size for an Eagle. The miniatures used on the show were 44" long, 22", 11" and 5.5", so the "studio scale" appelation is accurate - sort of (more on that in a minute...)

And as you can see, it is very recognizably an Eagle. All the parts are there, and when you see it, you know it's an Eagle.

But this replica has one fatal flaw: it is an inch too long for its scale. The ship was mastered from a "Replicas Unlimited" 23-in resin kit, which has an elongated passenger module. This means the spine is also too long, and it throws the proportions of the whole ship out of whack. :(

Also poor is the finish. While there are several levels of detail, and even some subtle weathering, most of the details are conjectural and do not match any of the miniatures used on the show. The overall impression is toylike and stylized.

I could go on and on about various errors and poor choices... but the overall "impression" is one of Eagleness, and the model is successful if you don't know too much about Eagles or if you don't look at it too carefully. Kind of like the Unobtainium Enterprise. :p

compared with largest scale filming miniature
049_jpg.jpg

Plus as an extra bonus, here's my gallery of Eagle screengrabs.

http://homepage.mac.com/ktate/extra/s99eaglegrabs/index.htm

Some of these are snapped from the new digitally remastered Region 2 DVD box of Year One that was released not too long ago. Lots of new information in these.

LSS-EglCM01_jpg.jpg

You can see them apparently re-decoing the miniatures, sometimes within the same scene in the same episode. When the series began, they only had one of each of the largest size of Eagles, so fleet shots required multiple exposures.

If Eagles had to interact, photo cutouts were used. :lol

ML-EglWinch6_jpg.jpg

- k

Wow, thanks for the info. That was what I had feared - it looks a bit like a toy. It also seems that compared to the 44" model lots of tiny details and decals are wrong. Some weathering might help however, but I hesitate to do that to a "finished" model with maybe some reselling value.

Tobias

I had also considered getting one of those Eagles, but it does look too much like a toy.

Maybe the price will drop. Not sure if those guys will be able to sell 1500 of those Eagles. Especially with the "red stripe" version coming out soon.

Tim

What a great ship design. The eagle still holds up well over all these years and looks like REAL functional space hardware in many ways.

Just received mine today from FAB Gear USA and IÂ’m real happy with it. Is it 100% accurate? No but itÂ’s really big and cool. Nice display case with it and overall IÂ’m very pleased with the purchase. :D

Jim

I agree. It's a big Eagle all right. Boy that 44" miniature must double as a coffee table. :D

Could Product Enterprise have done a better job? Sure. When I see those big honkin' maneuvering thruster quads, I die a little inside.

Let's say the less you pay for it, and the less you know about Space 1999, the happier you'll be. :angel

- k

As an alternative to the licensed replica, there is a model that appearently was used as a base for the PE model made by Replicas Unlimited, offered by Federation Models.

It's 300 bucks.
Currently out of stock, but I will post a link to the last two kits they sold soon. :)

Tim

Okay, I've ordered a few of them.

I'm gonna have extras at 535.00 EA. if anybody wants one. Pm me

I have the 12" PE version and I love it. Its a lot better then the green Dinky die cast version my parents bought me in the 70's although that one is cool for nostalgia value.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back