23" Eagle

All this talk about Eagles has made me think about resurrecting my 22 " scratchbuild of 5+ years ago. Got the details all wrong inside the fore and aft cages and had to break them all apart. Never did get back to it.

Thanks.

What I least enjoyed were the resin parts. :)

The leg pods were crooked, the windows in the passenger pod were pretty bad, the cages were not accurate and not the same size at both ends. One kit was kissing parts. My two kits did not have the 16 connectors that connect the spine to the cages (like your kit had). I forgot about those, and have to ad them.
Some of the parts were cast in extremely soft white resin.
Some major flash on some of the parts (especially the passenger pod legs).
After I glued the two halves of the passenger pod together, I realized that the pod is not rectangular. I should have alinged the pieces with the bottom in place, to make it rectangular.
I did not even bother fixing the attitude thrusters. (which are not centered, and at the wrong angle)
I wanted to add aluminum thrusters to the whole kit, but it is not worth it.

It's a cool model, but they really should have paid more attention when making the kits.
Appearently the Lab Pod Eagle was made from a different master. Maybe that one is better.

See my website for some of the issues.
http://www.ketzer.com/eagle_transporter_23/index.html

Tim

<div class='quotetop'>(8 perf @ Jun 21 2006, 02:02 AM) [snapback]1264842[/snapback]</div>
All this talk about Eagles has made me think about resurrecting my 22 " scratchbuild of 5+ years ago. Got the details all wrong inside the fore and aft cages and had to break them all apart. Never did get back to it.

[attachmentid=8636]
[/b]

I am impressed by the effort and wish more people would try to scratch build.

You should finish.

<div class='quotetop'>(TheSt.LouisKid @ Jun 26 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]1268244[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(8 perf @ Jun 21 2006, 02:02 AM) [snapback]1264842[/snapback]

[attachmentid=8636]
[/b]

I am impressed by the effort and wish more people would try to scratch build.

You should finish.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just may. I unpacked it the other day to see where I was with it. Would have to start by rebuilding the fore and aft cages. I have the pod blanks done but not detailed, as well as the cargo module. I sanded down and re-shaped the engine bell from a large Space Shuttle model for the thrusters. If I had to guess, I would say mine is 20% completed if I use all the great photos here as a reference.

Well, they look pretty close to me. Compared with the 23 inch original, they almost look dead on. You could spend two years and countless man hours and megabucks trying to get a totally accurate model, but in the end, who would really notice the small differences, except maybe James Small, or someone like that? For my money, this is a great model.

<div class='quotetop'>(Master Propmaker @ Jun 30 2006, 12:44 AM) [snapback]1271066[/snapback]</div>
Plus the price beats out all the other kits, and this one is actually finished.
Time to grab the old credit card.
[/b]
True. A lot of folk moan about the price tag - but you're not going to get a scratch-build (or even a kit build) for anywhere near the PE23's cost. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(8 perf @ Jul 1 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]1272129[/snapback]</div>
EAGLE------Thanks for the forum link. Looks like a lot of good detail.
[/b]

Yes, thanks. :) tons of info there

I apologize if this is a repeated question, but the Eagle is one of my favorite designs. :D

Is there a worthy Studio Scale kit out there? I mean accurate. Even the G.A. large and signed version isn't quite right. :(

This is on my list, but not yet on the books. This may be a 2008 project. Maybe I should just have one built from scratch just as some of you have done. I'll bet you have pleanty of reference to share. ;) Displayed on a Moonbase landing pad would be nice. :p

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 11 2006, 04:15 AM) [snapback]1278414[/snapback]</div>
Is there a worthy Studio Scale kit out there? I mean accurate. Even the G.A. large and signed version isn't quite right. :(
[/b]

The two Eagles I posted and the one this thread was originally about are "studio scale", well almost. They are 23 inches instead of 22.

Tim

<div class='quotetop'>(Ketzer.com @ Jul 11 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]1278984[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 11 2006, 04:15 AM) [snapback]1278414[/snapback]
[/b]

The two Eagles I posted and the one this thread was originally about are "studio scale", well almost. They are 23 inches instead of 22.

Tim
[/b][/quote]
Thank You Tim. :D

Great job as usual. :p I am wondering if have ever had anything done bad?. LOL... your talent speaks for itself. Kind of like a signature loan. LOL. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Looks like Fed. Models has them... at least the laboratory pod eagle. :confused

Now it's on the list...lol :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back