23" Eagle

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by tobiasrichter, Mar 18, 2006.

1. tobiasrichter

tobiasrichter Well-Known Member

2. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3. SSRN Seaview

SSRN Seaview Well-Known Member

I got one and they're quite nice. Found one on ebay from a UK seller and I think the complete price to the USA was $650. I know that the space 1999 community has denoted that its not completely accurate to the original models as it is based off the replicas unlimited kit. But it's looks great in my display case and I do not have the time or patience to accuarize one from scratch or kit.

4. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll trade someone a working DS gun for one.

5. tobiasrichter

I tried search, but couldn´t find anything. I don´t have access to the link phasepistol posted. But thanks anyways.

Tobias

6. phase pistol

Can't see the link? Must be something to do with Newbie status...

Well here's my review again, so you can see it. :D

--------

OK here we go... the new 23" Space 1999 Eagle replica from Product Enterprise.

[​IMG]

many more photos here:

http://homepage.mac.com/ktate/extra/pe23eagle/index.htm

The big Eagle (henceforth "PE23") is the latest in the Product Enterprise series of replica Gerry Anderson studio-scale vehicles. The model comes complete with display case, and signed Certificate of Authenticity.

The new 23" PE Eagle alongside the earlier 12" replica
    [​IMG]

The PE23 has some big pluses AND minuses... in the "pro" column, it's a nice big satisfying size for an Eagle. The miniatures used on the show were 44" long, 22", 11" and 5.5", so the "studio scale" appelation is accurate - sort of (more on that in a minute...)

And as you can see, it is very recognizably an Eagle. All the parts are there, and when you see it, you know it's an Eagle.

But this replica has one fatal flaw: it is an inch too long for its scale. The ship was mastered from a "Replicas Unlimited" 23-in resin kit, which has an elongated passenger module. This means the spine is also too long, and it throws the proportions of the whole ship out of whack. :(

Also poor is the finish. While there are several levels of detail, and even some subtle weathering, most of the details are conjectural and do not match any of the miniatures used on the show. The overall impression is toylike and stylized.

I could go on and on about various errors and poor choices... but the overall "impression" is one of Eagleness, and the model is successful if you don't know too much about Eagles or if you don't look at it too carefully. Kind of like the Unobtainium Enterprise. :p

compared with largest scale filming miniature
    [​IMG]

Plus as an extra bonus, here's my gallery of Eagle screengrabs.

http://homepage.mac.com/ktate/extra/s99eaglegrabs/index.htm

Some of these are snapped from the new digitally remastered Region 2 DVD box of Year One that was released not too long ago. Lots of new information in these.

[​IMG]

You can see them apparently re-decoing the miniatures, sometimes within the same scene in the same episode. When the series began, they only had one of each of the largest size of Eagles, so fleet shots required multiple exposures.

If Eagles had to interact, photo cutouts were used. :lol

[​IMG]

- k

7. tobiasrichter

Wow, thanks for the info. That was what I had feared - it looks a bit like a toy. It also seems that compared to the 44" model lots of tiny details and decals are wrong. Some weathering might help however, but I hesitate to do that to a "finished" model with maybe some reselling value.

Tobias

8. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

I had also considered getting one of those Eagles, but it does look too much like a toy.

Maybe the price will drop. Not sure if those guys will be able to sell 1500 of those Eagles. Especially with the "red stripe" version coming out soon.

Tim

9. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What a great ship design. The eagle still holds up well over all these years and looks like REAL functional space hardware in many ways.

10. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

11. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

Just received mine today from FAB Gear USA and IÂ’m real happy with it. Is it 100% accurate? No but itÂ’s really big and cool. Nice display case with it and overall IÂ’m very pleased with the purchase. :D

Jim

12. phase pistol

I agree. It's a big Eagle all right. Boy that 44" miniature must double as a coffee table. :D

Could Product Enterprise have done a better job? Sure. When I see those big honkin' maneuvering thruster quads, I die a little inside.

Let's say the less you pay for it, and the less you know about Space 1999, the happier you'll be. :angel

- k

13. Rylo

That's it, I'm buyin' one.

Who's gotta pic of this thing in it's case?

14. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

This guy currently has two. $544.95 + tax(tax for Az residents)

Fred Doerner
    balddude@skidmarksdiecast.com
    Skidmarks Diecast Collectibles
    4829 E. Elliot Rd.
    Phoenix, AZ 85044
    480-753-3978

15. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

As an alternative to the licensed replica, there is a model that appearently was used as a base for the PE model made by Replicas Unlimited, offered by Federation Models.

It's 300 bucks.
    Currently out of stock, but I will post a link to the last two kits they sold soon. :)

Tim

16. Rylo

Okay, I've ordered a few of them.

I'm gonna have extras at 535.00 EA. if anybody wants one. Pm me

17. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

18. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

Boy, do I love the Eagle. I never get tired of seeing pics of them.

19. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

I have the 12" PE version and I love it. Its a lot better then the green Dinky die cast version my parents bought me in the 70's although that one is cool for nostalgia value.

20. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

21. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

All this talk about Eagles has made me think about resurrecting my 22 " scratchbuild of 5+ years ago. Got the details all wrong inside the fore and aft cages and had to break them all apart. Never did get back to it.

22. Eagle

Eagle Sr Member

Nice work on the RU23, Tim. What did you least enjoy about the kit? For me it was the attitude thrusters. :(

:)

23. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Thanks.

What I least enjoyed were the resin parts. :)

The leg pods were crooked, the windows in the passenger pod were pretty bad, the cages were not accurate and not the same size at both ends. One kit was kissing parts. My two kits did not have the 16 connectors that connect the spine to the cages (like your kit had). I forgot about those, and have to ad them.
    Some of the parts were cast in extremely soft white resin.
    Some major flash on some of the parts (especially the passenger pod legs).
    After I glued the two halves of the passenger pod together, I realized that the pod is not rectangular. I should have alinged the pieces with the bottom in place, to make it rectangular.
    I did not even bother fixing the attitude thrusters. (which are not centered, and at the wrong angle)
    I wanted to add aluminum thrusters to the whole kit, but it is not worth it.

It's a cool model, but they really should have paid more attention when making the kits.
    Appearently the Lab Pod Eagle was made from a different master. Maybe that one is better.

See my website for some of the issues.
    http://www.ketzer.com/eagle_transporter_23/index.html

Tim

24. Eagle

Eagle Sr Member

Hmm. Nightmare after nightmare...

http://www.eagletransporter.com/pod5.asp

The clamps, I fabricated myself as the issued ones were pants:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/pod11.asp

Some have kinda split and cracked now - must attend to them some time.

Looking back, I made a bit of a hash of the RU23 (and I kick myself when I spot things wrong with it sometimes) but I suppose it was after 20-odd years of no modelling whatsoever.

:)

25. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Beautiful and impressive job, Eagle. :eek

26. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

I never get tired of seeing those photos :)

Great peice of work.

Jim

27. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(8 perf @ Jun 21 2006, 02:02 AM) [snapback]1264842[/snapback]</div>
    I am impressed by the effort and wish more people would try to scratch build.

You should finish.

28. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(TheSt.LouisKid @ Jun 26 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]1268244[/snapback]</div>
    I am impressed by the effort and wish more people would try to scratch build.

You should finish.
    [/b][/quote]

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just may. I unpacked it the other day to see where I was with it. Would have to start by rebuilding the fore and aft cages. I have the pod blanks done but not detailed, as well as the cargo module. I sanded down and re-shaped the engine bell from a large Space Shuttle model for the thrusters. If I had to guess, I would say mine is 20% completed if I use all the great photos here as a reference.

29. Eagle

Eagle Sr Member

If you need it, there's always plenty of scratch-built 'Eagle experience' on our forum. :)

30. Master Propmaker

Master Propmaker New Member

Well, they look pretty close to me. Compared with the 23 inch original, they almost look dead on. You could spend two years and countless man hours and megabucks trying to get a totally accurate model, but in the end, who would really notice the small differences, except maybe James Small, or someone like that? For my money, this is a great model.

31. Master Propmaker

Master Propmaker New Member

Plus the price beats out all the other kits, and this one is actually finished.
    Time to grab the old credit card.

32. Eagle

Eagle Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Master Propmaker @ Jun 30 2006, 12:44 AM) [snapback]1271066[/snapback]</div>
    True. A lot of folk moan about the price tag - but you're not going to get a scratch-build (or even a kit build) for anywhere near the PE23's cost. :)

33. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

EAGLE------Thanks for the forum link. Looks like a lot of good detail.

34. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(8 perf @ Jul 1 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]1272129[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, thanks. :) tons of info there

35. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I apologize if this is a repeated question, but the Eagle is one of my favorite designs. :D

Is there a worthy Studio Scale kit out there? I mean accurate. Even the G.A. large and signed version isn't quite right. :(

This is on my list, but not yet on the books. This may be a 2008 project. Maybe I should just have one built from scratch just as some of you have done. I'll bet you have pleanty of reference to share. ;) Displayed on a Moonbase landing pad would be nice. :p

36. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 11 2006, 04:15 AM) [snapback]1278414[/snapback]</div>
    The two Eagles I posted and the one this thread was originally about are "studio scale", well almost. They are 23 inches instead of 22.

Tim

37. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Ketzer.com @ Jul 11 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]1278984[/snapback]</div>
    The two Eagles I posted and the one this thread was originally about are "studio scale", well almost. They are 23 inches instead of 22.

Tim
    [/b][/quote]
    Thank You Tim. :D

Great job as usual. :p I am wondering if have ever had anything done bad?. LOL... your talent speaks for itself. Kind of like a signature loan. LOL. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Looks like Fed. Models has them... at least the laboratory pod eagle. :confused

Now it's on the list...lol :)