2020 DUNE Costume Thread (Denis Villeneuve)

Belladonna

Hey guys, just starting the new Dune costume thread, please advise me if there is already one in existence as I wasn't able to find it. I'm titling it as "Dune 2020" but ofcourse it's subject to change due to the pandemic. At the moment the release date is set to November of this year.

I'm looking into recreating the Arrakis Stillsuit as I'm sure a lot of others are. Lets share our ideas, thoughts and put our heads together to figure this structure out. I know for the base of the "coat/cape" and hooded parts they used some type of Indian cotton. What concerns me are the ribbed chest parts, I know I could make them out of foam and worbla, but if anyone has any ideas of PVC ribbing that could be used instead lmk. I feel like this type of ribbing exists somewhere but I can't place it.

Attachments

• 0520-Dune-Tout-Lede-a.jpg
    0520-Dune-Tout-Lede-a.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 27226306-8222079-Auteur_Dennis_Villeneuve_L_seen_on_set_with_Oscar_winning_actor_-a-7_15869670...jpg
    27226306-8222079-Auteur_Dennis_Villeneuve_L_seen_on_set_with_Oscar_winning_actor_-a-7_15869670...jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 27227976-8222079-image-m-24_1586962875938.jpg
    27227976-8222079-image-m-24_1586962875938.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 344
  • Eg8nkzvVgAAue4_.jpg
    Eg8nkzvVgAAue4_.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
The gloves look like pretty standard motorcycle/tactical gloves. Here's a pair I found that look very similar. It almost looks like they took the knuckle section from the same kind of gloves and sewed it on to create a cool looking and longer wrist section.

Maybe the masks are adapted from an ATV or motorcycle dust mask? They also could've been made custom for the production with 3D printing or some other method. Also, the shoes they're wearing for the stillsuits look like modified jogging sneakers.

Attachments

• gloves.jpg
    gloves.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 154
  • chani.jpg
    chani.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I’m fairly sure the gloves are Oakley SI assault gloves.

The strap going over his shoulder (bag strap?) in the first photo is a Blackhawk rigger belt (or clone).

The sneakers remind me of the sort that are designed for crossfit workouts, as they have “zero drop” front to back and the arch has a shape that helps with climbing ropes.

I’m fairly sure the gloves are Oakley SI assault gloves.

The strap going over his shoulder (bag strap?) in the first photo is a Blackhawk rigger belt (or clone).

The sneakers remind me of the sort that are designed for crossfit workouts, as they have “zero drop” front to back and the arch has a shape that helps with climbing ropes.
I looked up the belt and gloves you mentioned and I would agree, those are probably it. And after looking at the photos more, I’m also pretty certain that they cut out the knuckle section of another pair of gloves and attached it to the opening of the main gloves.

I did some googling and found this pair of sneakers that have a very similar arch and tread. It’s not a dead on match, but we’re getting closer.

Attachments

• 45EEFA40-5BC0-417B-BEE4-C5847F53EEDE.jpeg
    45EEFA40-5BC0-417B-BEE4-C5847F53EEDE.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 164
There was another started back in April, but not a whole lot of movement. Agree on the riggers belt, definitely one and the gloves surely look to be out of the Oakley family. There's some Lynch suit influence with the sewn padding in the legs, etc., but these seem to be a little more utilitarian with a lot more going on then the original streamlined suits. The legs are similar to a set of ridding chaps with some detailing sewn in.

I know this is more of a costume thread, but is anyone working on a 2021 crysknife? I finished one this weekend and was curious on everyone's thoughts. I carved it from maple (since I'm mainly a woodworker).

I was trying to match some of the screenshots from the trailer and my own interpretation of the hilt. I still may try to incorporate epoxy in my next version to get a little translucence in the blade.

Attachments

• 1 - lHTY5M0.jpg
    1 - lHTY5M0.jpg
    910.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 2 - xdpfXkh.jpg
    2 - xdpfXkh.jpg
    937.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 3 - 6TU7G0L.jpg
    3 - 6TU7G0L.jpg
    880.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 4 - hg1mj9k.jpg
    4 - hg1mj9k.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 6 - Bc12CU0.png
    6 - Bc12CU0.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 7 - Yu3UJ9J.png
    7 - Yu3UJ9J.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 125
  • PXL_20201127_205016669.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201127_205016669.NIGHT.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 132
Anyone have any good high-res images of the Atreides uniforms (including the trench/duster coats)? I want to do a Paul build and there don't seem to be many reference images out there so far. I just noticed on rewatching some clips that they wear different uniforms on Caladan (more formal) and Arrakis (ribbed detail on the shoulders) too, so now I'm not sure which one I'll want to make.

You are correct. There is a formal dress uniform and also a working uniform. The working uniform is seen in several scenes and there are a few variations. Most working uniforms are the Atreides Green but there is also a gray color identified as used by ground crew members. The green seem to have a full front separating zippers and the ground crew has a zipper only on the chest. You will also see the pants of the working uniform used during the fight training session.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back