2019 Prop: Astromech Droid

Kovnyn

Sr Member
2019 is the year I stop piddling around with little props and do something big. I was deciding between an Astromech and a HIC, and for now, the scratch build static (for now) Astromech won out.

The body frame is one of my own design, but based on the frame for the RC builds found on Astromech.net.

Its mainly going to be plywood and 2x4s.

Consider this a placeholder for my work in progress.

I'm going to (attempt to) form the skin from sheets of foam core, then add greeblies to that. If that does not work, then I'll use sheet metal. Gives me an excuse to use the welder, lol.

I'm also going to make multiple heads and accessory panels of different colors so I can show off multiple droids with the one main body.

It may take me all year, maybe longer, but this will be my first long term Droid build (though I still need to put the finishing touches on my Gonk).

Got the basic body structure measured and cut, including the base for the head.

Bottom, middle support and top are 18" diameter 3/4" plywood. Main vertical support are 19.5" 2x4 lumber. Head base is also 18" diameter plywood, but only 1/4" thick. I'll have a few electronics in the head, but all the power supply will be stored in the body. I used 5/16" threaded rod to create a swivel attachment between the body and the head. I'm trying to keep the head as light as possible because eventually I intend to do a powered swivel to turn the head around about 300 degrees.

Not much to look at yet. I'll need to get a bunch of 1" x 1" pieces to fill in the rest of the torso and then I'll start laying down the foam core.

Attachments

• IMG_20190103_014350.jpg
    IMG_20190103_014350.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 100
Have a look on eBay for a rockler type bearing or ‘lazy susan’ bearing, about £20. This will save dome weight, making it easier and smoother to turn.

Are you on the astromech.net forum??

....also if your looking for ideas to skin your droid, I used hardboard, wrapped around my frame. Screwed and pinned in place.

2019 is the year I stop piddling around with little props and do something big. I was deciding between an Astromech and a HIC, and for now, the scratch build static (for now) Astromech won out.

The body frame is one of my own design, but based on the frame for the RC builds found on Astromech.net.

Its mainly going to be plywood and 2x4s.

Consider this a placeholder for my work in progress.

I'm going to (attempt to) form the skin from sheets of foam core, then add greeblies to that. If that does not work, then I'll use sheet metal. Gives me an excuse to use the welder, lol.

I'm also going to make multiple heads and accessory panels of different colors so I can show off multiple droids with the one main body.

It may take me all year, maybe longer, but this will be my first long term Droid build (though I still need to put the finishing touches on my Gonk).
You are in the same spot as me, but I opted for a Han In Carbonite instead of a astromech.

Jaffa007

Yes, I'm on Astromech, but only lurk and research. Now that I'm building a Droid, I may cross post over there.

I will look around for those bearing types, might even have something I can scrounge at work.

Unfated
I will still be doing an HIC, but I could get started on the Droid for less cost, initially.

I've been watching the HIC kits on ebay and the like, and hope to get one budgeted this summer.

Last edited:
So my boss asked me about my Droid progress this morning, and I told him I'm at the point where I need to look into getting some skin panels. He's sourcing me some sheet metal with my required dimensions, pre-rolled to size.

Gotta love having a boss who supports your hobbies.

Don’t forget photos [emoji1417]

And Post up your progress over on the Astro forum as well, it’s always good to see new ways of doing builds. [emoji41][emoji1417]

Will do.

I didn't work on it last night at work, instead I finished my K-2S0 model. I've gotten a few of the Metal Earth model kits, and I've done Slave 1, K-2, and need to finish the AT-ST model.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back