2015 Stormtrooper Pepakura Need Help! (HELP!)

EdgarDuque

Hey guys, after watching a few Pep Stromtrooper threads, I got the inspiration to make one, and I did.

I downloaded SpaceCowboy's ANH Symmetrical Stormtrooper template, bought a couple of cardstock sheets and started glueing.

It took me about 3 days to complete the bucket, 6 hours of work per day.

After completing the bucket I realized that I screwed up everything. And I dont even want to proceed to the "Resin and Fiberglass" stage because of it.

Eyes are a mess, mouth is crooked, and the nacelles are bended. I assume it was because of my poor/wrong Glueing/Shaping methods.
My point is, can all of those mistakes be corrected in the bondo/milliput stage? Or should I just get rid of the bucket and start a new one.

My inspiration went down the toilet as I saw it finished, and I feel like moving to the Resin and Fiberglass stage would be a waste.

Is there still hope for this bucket, or is it doomed? :(

11748565_10152903166511712_1459341363_n.jpg11753884_10152903164951712_1959630738_n.jpg11774715_10152903166196712_1140257546_n.jpg11756496_10152903166406712_1224907470_n.jpg

Welcome to the instructional world of Pepakura! I've started many projects, and finished lots - well - some of them... But each one taught me a lot!

I'd say, well done for this first effort, but realistically, I think you're choosing a difficult first build. I suggest starting with some of the armour parts, then moving to the helmet once you have got some more experience.

Or of you'd like to do another sort of helmet, I have quite a few that I'm happy to share, as well as pretty much a complete set of trooper armour that I've developed and finished to the trooping stage.

It was a lot of work, but I'm really pleased with the outcome. Although if you're doing it just to troop, it is cheaper and quicker to buy a vacformed suit and assemble it yourself.

Anyway, well done again, and keep at it. If you want some more peps that might be easier to start with, drop us a line. I'm most happy to help.

Regards, Phil.

Some times I have to go through two or three build of something be for I understand all the finer points. I'm tempted to keep perfecting my first builds all the time, but it always pays to make, and re make ,and make some more. It's a skill, it builds as you go.

sincerely I do it again the helmet but this time I take my time now that you have the experience, success comes to fun, not speed. Once a part is incorrectly assembled does not hesitate to reprint and remake.

Welcome to the instructional world of Pepakura! I've started many projects, and finished lots - well - some of them... But each one taught me a lot!

I'd say, well done for this first effort, but realistically, I think you're choosing a difficult first build. I suggest starting with some of the armour parts, then moving to the helmet once you have got some more experience.

Or of you'd like to do another sort of helmet, I have quite a few that I'm happy to share, as well as pretty much a complete set of trooper armour that I've developed and finished to the trooping stage.

It was a lot of work, but I'm really pleased with the outcome. Although if you're doing it just to troop, it is cheaper and quicker to buy a vacformed suit and assemble it yourself.

Anyway, well done again, and keep at it. If you want some more peps that might be easier to start with, drop us a line. I'm most happy to help.

Regards, Phil.

Hello Phil.

Thank you very much for replying in such a short period of time.

I'm trying the Stormtrooper Bucket one more time, if I fail again I might try something simpler, I'll check some of your pep files as well.

I'm not repeating the same mistakes though, I've now printed Fierfek's ANH Stormtrooper template (which, for some reason I find it easier/simpler), dusted off my old laptop with Windows OS, downloaded Pepakura Viewer and I'm using that as a guide/reference now, perhaps not using the Pepakura Viewer with the previous bucket was the reason why it flopped horribly.

Inspiration came back and I'm gonna take my time building it, not rushing things, having fun getting the bucket completed and not lose my sanity in the process.

Thanks again Phil, I'll keep this thread updated and post a few pictures when the pep bucket is done.

Sorry for my English. It is not my first language.

Greetings from México. Literally from across the world.

-Edgar.

The mouth area looks pushed in, and as a result, it has a bit of an overbite. However, the head from the eyes up look salvageable.

You might be able to get away with crafting a new mouth-to-chin area and sticking it on the outside and see what happens.

Some times I have to go through two or three build of something be for I understand all the finer points. I'm tempted to keep perfecting my first builds all the time, but it always pays to make, and re make ,and make some more. It's a skill, it builds as you go.

I understand now, that I have gone through 3 unsuccessfully buckets. It's really a trial and error thing. Patience is our best friend.

- - - Updated - - -

wear it to a convention as is...but then my humor is a little warped.

I might do that just for the laughs, or I might just set it on fire.

- - - Updated - - -

that is beyond awesome.... :) I love it looks like something ate his face off.

It kinda does haha, I looks like some creature spitted some acid right to its face and it ate through it.

- - - Updated - - -

The mouth area looks pushed in, and as a result, it has a bit of an overbite. However, the head from the eyes up look salvageable.

You might be able to get away with crafting a new mouth-to-chin area and sticking it on the outside and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback!, however I'm starting a new bucket, new template, and I'm using Pepakura Viewer for guidance, something I didn't do with the previous one.

I understand now, that I have gone through 3 unsuccessfully buckets. It's really a trial and error thing. Patience is our best friend.

- - - Updated - - -

I might do that just for the laughs, or I might just set it on fire.

- - - Updated - - -

It kinda does haha, I looks like some creature spitted some acid right to its face and it ate through it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the feedback!, however I'm starting a new bucket, new template, and I'm using Pepakura Viewer for guidance, something I didn't do with the previous one.

i would keep that one as is and turn it into a zombie trooper cut it away make some teeth/flesh. Start a new pep for trooping

Hey, Edgar, your English is fine!

Just a couple of quick tips that have helped me.
1. Cut your tabs to only about 1/8" or 3mm wide. - Less sanding and filling later, and the smaller amount of glue means less softening of the card.
2. Use good quality PVA glue - builder's quality, not the weak school-grade stuff - and use a toothpick to apply it. It should set in about 20 seconds.
3. Use a blunt knife and a steel ruler for scoring the fold lines.
4. For valley folds, I mark each end of the line with a pin, turn the card over and score from the other side.
5. For correcting distortions in the finished pep - which is inevitable - use a needle and thread to pull opposite parts of the pep towards each other. Easy to trim the thread away later.

My daughter is a cyclist with the ISCorp team and she was recently enjoying your wonderful weather and hospitality. She said she had a wonderful time and hopes to get back there again.

Regards, Phil

Quick little update!

I just finished the whole dome section, It just took me 10 hours straight, from glueing the pages on cardstock, cutting and glueing again,, lunch and bathroom breaks too.

I have a good feeling about this bucket, this might be the one.

I'm not getting cocky though, I took my time and made sure everything was in its right place.

Note: The curvature/ledges of the trapezoids aren't fully detailed, I'm waiting a good 8 hours until super glue has done its thing so I can start shaping to get them right.

11774660_10152905325386712_619318687_n.jpg11749506_10152905325436712_263075407_n.jpg

Hey, Edgar, your English is fine!

Just a couple of quick tips that have helped me.
1. Cut your tabs to only about 1/8" or 3mm wide. - Less sanding and filling later, and the smaller amount of glue means less softening of the card.
2. Use good quality PVA glue - builder's quality, not the weak school-grade stuff - and use a toothpick to apply it. It should set in about 20 seconds.
3. Use a blunt knife and a steel ruler for scoring the fold lines.
4. For valley folds, I mark each end of the line with a pin, turn the card over and score from the other side.
5. For correcting distortions in the finished pep - which is inevitable - use a needle and thread to pull opposite parts of the pep towards each other. Easy to trim the thread away later.

My daughter is a cyclist with the ISCorp team and she was recently enjoying your wonderful weather and hospitality. She said she had a wonderful time and hopes to get back there again.

Regards, Phil

Thanks again Phil for the useful tips and your kind words. It gives me that extra push to make things bettter.

You and your family are always welcomed to this beautiful country.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back